Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I respect what Apple has brought to the table, competition makes better Android phones.

I am no Motorola fan, but their recent releases this year always come up on top for best battery life, and the iPhone4 comes 2nd. But not too long ago the iPhone3 was a huge battery sucker, only the i4 changed that, I will give Apple credit on their nice high res "retina" display, but Super AMOLED+ for being low res looks fantastic too. Just wait until the Prime and the new HTC phone come out soon, with crazy high res of like 1280 x 800 :eek:

My larger point was that so many get caught up in fanboyism (the apple nuts irrationally dump on Android as well) instead looking objectively at what device has the best set of features for what they need the phone to do.

If the epic touch display is comparable to what is on the droid charge, Sprint may get my money. I think it has comparable quality to Apple's retina display. A trade of resolution for deeper blacks and overall brightness fits what I need.

can't speak to motorola's battery life, but really liked the keyboard on droid 3

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure. Maybe T-Mobile. They introduced that $100 plan for two lines. It's maxed out at 2GB per month, so I need to check and see how much data I actually have been using on my EVO. But that's significantly cheaper than what I'd be paying for for 2 lines on Sprint, unless there are hidden fees that would hike up the price.

Just keep in mind that 99.00 plan for TWO phones doesn't include them subsizing a phone, its ONLY if you bring your own TWO cell phones to the party and insert their SIM cards in them. Thats what they told me when i tried to get TWO G2X's last week, when they were offereing them FREE until Sept 7....

maybe i am wrong but they said their plan for 2 G2x's after the cost of $199.99 for each phone (when they went off of sale) and plan would be $139.00 per month.

Still would have been worth it to jump on 2 GX2's for free but i was still wanting to see the Samsung Epic Touch and didn't wanna go thru the hassle of getting the G2x's and then having to cancel. Hope the SGS ii will be worth it : )

BTC

Last edited:

naes

May 31, 2011
Visit site
IMO the device is too big... i returned my photon this morning and was playing around with it and in my opinion is TOO wide... i don't want to be carrying a tablet in my pocket.. i guess i'll just wait to see what happens with this new iphone in the coming month... oh well... looks like i'll stay with my tour for now =(

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's made by Samsung. You know, that company that apparently couldn't care less about updating it's Android phones to fix bugs or provide the latest OS. Other than that it's top notch. :confused:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion this statement is backwards.

Apple is usually the choice due to software certainly not hardware. I mean Apple is usually bested in the hardware area shortly after release, assuming it had a hardware lead at all. Apple is usually the choice for the non-tech/gadget person that just want's a phone or computer to work and could care less about it being customizable. They want stable and easy...this to me is the only thing Apple has going for it.

You're talking specs but I think he meant build quality. Apple does tend to put a nice finish on their handsets. Even when Samsung hardware looks nice it tends to feel plasticy. Personally I really like some of what HTC and Motorola have done over Apple's hardware, but it's just personal preference (for example I like how the iPhone4 looks, but I HATE how it feels - the glass back feels all wrong in my hands).

And while you're right about non-tech people liking the simplicity of Apple software, this is an Android enthusiast forum, so it's no real surprise that someone here would prefer the power and flexibility of Android over the curated and impersonal iOS experience.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
It's made by Samsung. You know, that company that apparently couldn't care less about updating it's Android phones to fix bugs or provide the latest OS. Other than that it's top notch. :confused:

Yet every new Sammy phone is released, and people say "this time it will be different." It never is.

pathtologos

May 18, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion this statement is backwards.

Apple is usually the choice due to software certainly not hardware. I mean Apple is usually bested in the hardware area shortly after release, assuming it had a hardware lead at all. Apple is usually the choice for the non-tech/gadget person that just want's a phone or computer to work and could care less about it being customizable. They want stable and easy...this to me is the only thing Apple has going for it.

Couldn't agree more.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The geek in me is salivating over the specs and goodies in the ET4G. The benchmark performance, fun gesture-based navigation and stuff (which I've enjoyed playing with on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1), enhanced email app, etc. call to me. But the practical side says the great call quality, GPS and Bluetooth, and nice build quality of my Photon is the more rational choice.

Problem is, my wife needs a new phone pretty much now, and so it'll either be a new Photon for her to go with mine, or she gets my Photon and I get something else. So, the geek is starting to win out...

xt04

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Having used the Photon and the GS II...

The Photon has the best call quality of any phone on Sprint right now. Hands down. As for build quality, the ET4G isn't exactly badly built, it just FEELS plasticky, but theres no "flex" in the casing. Its well put together. It just feels too light for its size, if that makes sense.

Everything else is negligible. Personally I preferred the SuperAMOLED+ screen to the Photons, though the Photon rendered text better thanks to the qHD resolution. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz (wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole until quad-core phones are released, and even then Nexus is the way to go)
Samsung = slow or nonexistent Android upgrades, can't imagine this ever gets ICS
Nexus Prime around the corner
ICS around the corner
iPhone 5 around the corner
Sprint service
No LTE
Disinterest in encouraging Sprint's endless price and rate increases by giving them money
You are grandfathered in to unlimited data on AT&T or Verizon
You're on another carrier and they will be getting their own SGSII versions shortly (except maybe Verizon who might get the Prime)

On the plus side, it's getting good reviews and it's only $499 off contract.

Last edited:

goitsme48

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Checked out at the Sprint store this morning.... I have Nexus S 4G so some comparisions are inevitable..
Little large for my hands (although the thinness makes for it)..but what I hated the most: RESOLUTION. Everything (icons, text, labels) look big... I wish it had better resolution. The colors are vibrant and all the good stuff everyone has said is there.. but for me, solid resolution is important.
Secondly, I am waiting to see what iPhone 5 has to offer.

fredknex

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Im sure others mentioned it between all these pages, but it needs said again anyway.

Number 1 Reason not to get it: Samsung. They wont care about the epic touch literally 6 minutes after the launch. They are already busy making a new phone to replace it.

If you care about updates or gps, never buy a samsung. i took a chance, and while i love the epic will never buy a another samsung phone. I dont want to replace my phone after 9 months, I want it to be updated and kept current, i got the epic back when it was 250 bucks and for that much money, I want to hold on to it for a while instead of just throw out.

czm2000

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Lousy GPS? I used my friends Infuse the other day and it's GPS is very slow when compared to my EVO. Is Samsung this bad at GPS or is HTC that good?

Thats a lousy reason to give especially when comparing it to a different phone and your "friends" as well. I just came from the VZW Droid Charge so I know full well what a crappy GPS is like and take it from first hand experience the Epic 4G Touch's GPS is fantastic. I've used it several times since I picked it up this morning and it works great! Even the first time using it which from my experience usually takes a little longer to lock on it has taken NO longer than 10 seconds to lock on every time. It was a concern of mine going into it. But rest assured the GPS won't be a problem.

And I wouldnt compare this at all to the Infuse.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Others have said it, but I'll say it, too. The primary reason I decided to pick up a Motorola Photon instead of waiting for the GS2 was Samsung. The GS2 looks amazing on paper. It got great reviews in Europe. The Epic Touch is getting great reviews so far. The phone, at this moment, seems to be a beast with few problems.

But what about 6 months from now? Samsung has an atrocious record for supporting their phones after release. My fiance is ready to throw her Epic out the window at this point, and I don't blame her. The Froyo update (which hit only a few weeks before my Evo got Gingerbread, for chrissakes) nearly broke her phone. The GPS has never worked very well. Battery life is pitiful. I'm convinced the only reason the wimax problem on the Nexus S 4G was fixed is because Google was involved.

Sure you'll be able to root n' ROM this thing in a week. That's swell for the root/dev community, but for the majority of Android users, stock is what they get. Until Sammy can prove they're willing to stick by a phone for longer than six weeks, I won't buy one ever again.

P.S. "MoPho" is a superior nickname to "ET" and worlds better than "Epic Touch." ;) :p

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thats a lousy reason to give especially when comparing it to a different phone and your "friends" as well. I just came from the VZW Droid Charge so I know full well what a crappy GPS is like and take it from first hand experience the Epic 4G Touch's GPS is fantastic. I've used it several times since I picked it up this morning and it works great! Even the first time using it which from my experience usually takes a little longer to lock on it has taken NO longer than 10 seconds to lock on every time. It was a concern of mine going into it. But rest assured the GPS won't be a problem.

And I wouldnt compare this at all to the Infuse.

My experience with my Epic was completely different (and not trying to derail the thread, because this IS relevant to considering the ET4G). I never enjoyed decent GPS with the Epic, period--at least, not for using it will walking and running. First, I struggled with accuracy. Then, when that was finally fixed in Froyo (mostly), I struggled with reliability. I can't tell you the number of times I had to reboot the phone when I was ready to track a walk, just to get GPS (and sometimes Bluetooth and my headphones) working again.

That's one of the things I love about the Photon: I haven't had a single issue with getting GPS or Bluetooth to work, immediately and consistently. I do admit to being a bit gunshy towards Samsung for these two issues alone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You know what's one of the best things to take away from this thread? It shows that Sprint has three top notch Android devices in their portfolio, released within the last 3 months, that satisfy many different user preferences. Choice only matters when you actually have something to choose from, and I'd say Sprint completed the hat-trick on that one this year. Well done Sprint.

Reactions: jroc

Jerandwend

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm soooo close to making the jump from WebOS to this phone, but my mangy ol' launch day Pre just keeps looing at me with these big sad eyes and I can't hardly bring myself to put her down.:'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech