Reasons you dont want the Epic 4g Touch

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz UI - *Barf*

If this animal had the nexus s UI - pure google, i'd be all over it.

The hardware IS impressive, and a great upgrade. But the TouchWiz is just gross, and completely ruins it for me.

TouchWiz 4.0 is much improved, but to each his own. I'd imagine XDA will jump on this device and we'll see a stock Android experience in a reasonable amount of time. Or you could use a 3rd party launcher. I guess I just don't see a UI skin as being a big reason why someone should love or hate a device, unless you're an average device user and love the Sense skin for example.

Anyhoo, it's sounds like a Nexus device is more down your ally anyways.

trentlythp

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
TouchWiz 4.0 is much improved, but to each his own. I'd imagine XDA will jump on this device and we'll see a stock Android experience in a reasonable amount of time. Or you could use a 3rd party launcher. I guess I just don't see a UI skin as being a big reason why someone should love or hate a device, unless you're an average device user and love the Sense skin for example.

Anyhoo, it's sounds like a Nexus device is more down your ally anyways.

Agreed. You can use a third party launcher and you will see only a very small part of the skin (i.e. Messaging, dialer, menus). I prefer stock android too, but that was from when skins seemed to slow down phones. This phone will not have that issue. A UI skin is no reason to pass over a phone IMHO

dat

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The sound out of the phone through the car dock is what I'm holding out to hear about. If it has the whine that has been reported in the European version, I may wait for the next bus (which should be just around the corner).

You can get a ground loop isolator to cut out the noise:

Amazon.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 3.5mm Ground Loop Isolator: Everything Else

I have one in my car. Never had any whine issues with any devices I've plugged into my car stereo since I got this.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I'm waiting to see what else comes before jumping on this phone is Samsung and their update reputation. Take a look at the Infuse that was promised Gingerbread "soon." Infuse users are still waiting. Yes, that's right... for Gingerbread.

You guys like Gingerbread? Hope so... you're going to be there awhile on this phone. No ICS for you no matter what they promise. No thanks. Been there, still have the t-shirt.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I'm waiting to see what else comes before jumping on this phone is Samsung and their update reputation. Take a look at the Infuse that was promised Gingerbread "soon." Infuse users are still waiting. Yes, that's right... for Gingerbread.

You guys like Gingerbread? Hope so... you're going to be there awhile on this phone. No ICS for you no matter what they promise. No thanks. Been there, still have the t-shirt.

By the time I want ICS bad enough, I'll likely be able to get it via root and flashing a new ROM, if Samsung/Sprint hadn't released it by then. I'm really not all that worried about it honestly.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Geez....I bet you the phone will work just wonderfully with 2.3.4....I say let them work all of the bugs you know darn well will happen when ICS is released and then give it to me when it's ready.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Geez....I bet you the phone will work just wonderfully with 2.3.4....I say let them work all of the bugs you know darn well will happen when ICS is released and then give it to me when it's ready.

I'm willing to bet you'll change your tune. I've seen this attitude change now 3 times with different phones.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is eliminating it's Premier plan altogether. That's really irritating. I've been Sprint over 10 years and appreciated the little crappy bones they threw my way. Now, there's really not a big reason for me to stay. Fees and costs are rising and they're making all these changes as the E4GT is available. I only have a short time to debate whether or not to stay w/ Sprint or jump ship.

The unlimited data may be enough to keep me, but who knows how long b4 that's eliminated too...

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is eliminating it's Premier plan altogether. That's really irritating. I've been Sprint over 10 years and appreciated the little crappy bones they threw my way. Now, there's really not a big reason for me to stay. Fees and costs are rising and they're making all these changes as the E4GT is available. I only have a short time to debate whether or not to stay w/ Sprint or jump ship.

The unlimited data may be enough to keep me, but who knows how long b4 that's eliminated too...

Where would you consider going though? AT&Ts tiered data plans are awful and Verizon is super expensive. Just curious.. I'm on Verizon and pay almost double what similar plan on Sprint would cost.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Where would you consider going though? AT&Ts tiered data plans are awful and Verizon is super expensive. Just curious.. I'm on Verizon and pay almost double what similar plan on Sprint would cost.

Not sure. Maybe T-Mobile. They introduced that $100 plan for two lines. It's maxed out at 2GB per month, so I need to check and see how much data I actually have been using on my EVO. But that's significantly cheaper than what I'd be paying for for 2 lines on Sprint, unless there are hidden fees that would hike up the price.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the ATT version is the best U.S. variant of the Galaxy S2, it matches the original international version, same 4.3" screen size, almost as thin, physical size is very close.

I think 4.5" is just border line too large for a phone, it is hard to navigate in one hand with your thumb, where as 4.3" is easier to handle to me.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure. Maybe T-Mobile. They introduced that $100 plan for two lines. It's maxed out at 2GB per month, so I need to check and see how much data I actually have been using on my EVO. But that's significantly cheaper than what I'd be paying for for 2 lines on Sprint, unless there are hidden fees that would hike up the price.

I don't think they charge you for going over 2gb though, they just throttle the speeds.

anon(46240)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go ahead and test this one out...never been a big Sammy fan but this phone could change that...if it doesn't live up to the hype hopefully the iPhone 5 is released soon after and I'll be trading it in... I love Android software but there's no competition when it comes to Apple hardware

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dont do it man! :) Their hardware IS great...not so great are the policies that they put in place. They are the most controlling, anti-consumer, anti-choice company there is. Stick with Android...its getting better with every version, and the hardware is arguably just as good on the major phones out there. I have had my OG Epic for well over a year with NO problems (except for the self-inflicted ones...price I pay for tinkering). With more and more developers realizing that Android is now the number one platform, you are seeing more and more apps migrating over. Soon, there wont be a single non-Apple app out there that you cant also run on Android. Keep the faith dude!

CMercs

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
No Sense UI. I'm a WebOs person choosing my first Android phone *sniff*sniff*:'(, but from what i've played with in Sprint, I really like the SenseUI much better. Enough to sacrifice a little bit of power to get the EVO 3D.

I may wait until just before the holiday's though and see if HTC is coming out with anything more powerful.

snovguy

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion this statement is backwards.

Apple is usually the choice due to software certainly not hardware. I mean Apple is usually bested in the hardware area shortly after release, assuming it had a hardware lead at all. Apple is usually the choice for the non-tech/gadget person that just want's a phone or computer to work and could care less about it being customizable. They want stable and easy...this to me is the only thing Apple has going for it.

I always laugh when this crowd tried to justify their choice by bashing Apple

Apple hasn't been "bested" in battery life and their retina display is still the gold standard in quality Not to mention Apple's macbook pro notebooks are still in the very top tier of performance.

But hey if it makes you feel superior, good for you.

That being said, I like android and really want this phone

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I always laugh when this crowd tried to justify their choice by bashing Apple

Apple hasn't been "bested" in battery life and their retina display is still the gold standard in quality Not to mention Apple's macbook pro notebooks are still in the very top tier of performance.

But hey if it makes you feel superior, good for you.

That being said, I like android and really want this phone

I respect what Apple has brought to the table, competition makes better Android phones.

I am no Motorola fan, but their recent releases this year always come up on top for best battery life, and the iPhone4 comes 2nd. But not too long ago the iPhone3 was a huge battery sucker, only the i4 changed that, I will give Apple credit on their nice high res "retina" display, but Super AMOLED+ for being low res looks fantastic too. Just wait until the Prime and the new HTC phone come out soon, with crazy high res of like 1280 x 800 :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol