25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

dcvanderbush

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: 20 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

I thought I was just dumb, but it seems others have been having trouble finding the information too... Whew!

epic_mike29

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

thats what i was thinking, just like anything that you use it will grow on you. i think i will just get it. it is a great phone (specs and all).

thanks

expertzero1

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

i think when he updated it he forgot it deleted 80% of the post or something when he added the pictures/thumbnailes

txmikester

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I want this phone for a simple reason - from everything I've read, it keeps everything that is good about my Droid Charge and adds/fixes everything that is missing or bad on the Charge. As frustrating as the Charge can be some times, the screen is a thing of beauty and makes the phone worth it on it's own.

With the SGS 2, I will get that same beautiful screen - plus an extra .2" of AMOLED goodness - dual core, and more importantly for me, enough RAM to actually multitask (the Charge is really crippled in that area).

I'm also assuming there will be a huge mod community for this phone. There are only a handful of ROMs for the Charge (although a couple of them are quite good), but I can imagine within 6 months there will probably be dozens of choices for this phone.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

If someone could repost the link to the actual 20 Reasons that would be good. It got removed at some point over the past day or so. I'm a Photon guy looking at this one. I've got 10 days before I'm locked in so I want to fully vet this bad boy.

Reactions: scottbeamer

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I thought it was just me who was suddenly not seeing the ever-growing list of reasons. Perhaps he feels that the pictures convey thousands of more relevant words.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

Where did it go? The original post is gone.
Sorry about the opening post being mostly deleted.

It is now restored: 20 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch

Android Central now seems to log you out automatically every 60 minutes or so even if you are editing a post. And then it errors out and your text is lost. Instead of reverting to your last save, it saves what appears to be the first bit of what you are working on.

So 12 hours later, I have most everything restored.

If you get the error message that you have been logged out when you are editing, you can try to copy the content of your post window behind the error message but it may only get the first bit.

And if you have any other great features to add to this thread, please post it in the thread. This started with just 10.

Again, Sorry...

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It plays mkv, avi, and wmv video files natively and can handle multiple codecs without the need for a software program. It plays 720p and 1080p high profile mkv videos without having to convert them.

Reactions: milominderbinde

matchesmalone

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

Seriously? I did not know it could play all of that stuff, including high profile mkv's. Is that because of Samsung's Touchwiz Media Hub thing? If so, I may have to stop bashing Touchwiz

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It's because Samsung installs all of those codecs on their devices. Same for my Galaxy tab, and same with the original Galaxy S phones. With the Exynos processor and 1gb ram, the Epic Touch can handle high profile 1080p no sweat. This is one of the few things you will miss out on if you go with a Nexus device. Natively, Android can only handle mp4 files with limited codec support. You can use a software player, but they can't play files that require HW acceleration.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

It plays mkv, avi, and wmv video files natively and can handle multiple codecs without the need for a software program. It plays 720p and 1080p high profile mkv videos without having to convert them.
Thanks!

I added this under It's High Def:

The SGS2 can play most MP4, H.264, H.263, DIVX, XVID, WMV, VC-1, and streaming video.

I cannot find a link that says it can play avi or mkv. Do you have a link for that?

Also, can you help me find a link about the hardware acceleration? I am trying to back up every statement with a link.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Can Android video player play 1080p MKV files? [YES!]

Also, this is from the Wiki page for the Galaxy S2:

Media support
The Galaxy S II comes with support for many multimedia file formats and codecs. For audio it supports (FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF). For video formats and codecs it supports (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, DivX HD/XviD, VC-1) and video formats (3GP (MPEG-4), WMV (ASF) as well as AVI (DivX)).
Continued support for the MKV format container was confirmed.[52][53] Furthermore, there is also continued native playback support for the Sorenson codec within FLV.[54] Neither 'MKV', 'FLV' or 'Sorenson' are listed within any available specifications as this was the case done for the previous Galaxy S. Up to 1080p HD video playback is supported on this device.

I can't find an article that specifically states that you need HW acceleration for high profile mkv files, but there are plenty of discussions on forums on how to achieve playback with HW acceleration like this one:

Diceplayer plays mkv with HW acceleration! [Archive] - xda-developers

It turns out Dice Player in the marketplace does support HW acceleration, but it appears that the Exynos chip + Mail processor is still the only combo that can pull of high profile 1080p. Tegra 2 can't playback high profile 720p regardless.

Of course, this is not specifically about the Epic Touch and not the S2, but I can't imagine why it would be any different.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

I just ordered one full price. It's well worth 5 bills. 16GB onboard (even if only 8 are available) and a GB of RAM...Just need root, and I'm set for a couple of years.

Razieltov

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy s II does look fantastic but not for Sprint. No 4G, slow 3G and very poor customer service.

Reactions: hlbiii#AC

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

I got My Epic 4G Touch! It is SO much faster than my EVO, I could not believe it. It locks in signal so much better. The colors are so vivid. It is so much smaller in my pocket that the EVO. The screen is so much brighter. Wow. Just wow.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power