09-15-2011 04:54 PM
93 1234
tools
    Have you gotten rid of Touchwiz and opted for a better launcher yet?
    Coming from HTC Sense (which blows), I'm giving Touchwiz 4.0 a fair shake before I go back to LauncherPro. So far I'm very impressed. They've added some useful gestures for zooming and panning that incorporate the accelerometer. It's also very customizable and polished, so I'm keeping it for now. I'm not a huge fan of the lock-screen concept (move a whole picture off the screen), however, they make up for it with swipe bars that show up when you get a text that automatically unlocks the screen and takes you to that texting conversation. I still yearn for the vanilla-android lock screen with the functional swipe button on the right (silence vs. audible ringer) which I used all the time on my rooted Evo

Bottom line - pretty darn impressed with Touchwiz so far....keeping it.
    09-14-2011 07:57 PM
    What are you using for a keyboard? Any way to get a shot of it next to your Evo?

Any way to possibly disable the lock screen? That's one of my biggest annoyances with stock ROMs. That's one of the things I'm going to miss the most. I use Cyanogenmod on my Evo and have the lock screen completely disabled.
    09-14-2011 08:01 PM
    What are you using for a keyboard? Any way to get a shot of it next to your Evo?

Any way to possibly disable the lock screen? That's one of my biggest annoyances with stock ROMs. That's one of the things I'm going to miss the most. I use Cyanogenmod on my Evo and have the lock screen completely disabled.
    Funny you ask about the keyboard. It comes preloaded with Swype and Samsung's variation on the stock android keyboard. I am very partial to the stock-vanilla gingerbread keyboard and am so used to it that as soon as I got the phone I downloaded/installed it. So, I'm not using one of the pre-loaded keyboards just out of personal preference. I think the GB Keyboard (search for Keyboard from Android 2.3 by Steven Lin in the Market) is cleaner, simpler, has better recognition, and is more customizable.

Right now I'm taking pics with my Evo. Don't have another camera on me. You just want a size comparison?
    09-14-2011 08:07 PM
    Turtle3 is there a "recent apps" function and how do you access it?
    09-14-2011 08:17 PM
    I'll be using Smart Keyboard Pro. Been using that since my OG Droid. So convenient to have all your apps sync automatically whenever you switch to a device.

Yeah, a size comparison is what I wanted. Is the screen wider?
    09-14-2011 08:18 PM
    Turtle3 is there a "recent apps" function and how do you access it?
    Yup. Just like any Android...press and hold the Home button and a box with the last 6 apps shows up. Something new is that a Task manager is built in and there's a button to directly access it in that box. I've never seen this on an Android yet, so no need to download Advanced Task Killer if you prefer to stop your apps.

I'll be using Smart Keyboard Pro. Been using that since my OG Droid. So convenient to have all your apps sync automatically whenever you switch to a device.

Yeah, a size comparison is what I wanted. Is the screen wider?
    Phone is bigger for sure, but not overbearing. I'd say the larger feel comes more from height. The phones are darn near the same width. But, once you pic this bad boy up you'll realize how heavy an Evo is. The actual screen is slightly wider without getting out my ruler.

I should clarify - it's bigger, but I still don't feel like it's "too big" at all. The larger screen is amazing and I think the progression of the industry is toward 4.3'' to 5'' screens being the norm. When the Evo launched everyone made cracks that the screen was "huge" however, now it's widely accepted. Changes take time and I think this 4.5'' will be no exception if it meets a little 'general public' resistance.
    09-14-2011 08:27 PM
    Yup. Just like any Android...press and hold the Home button and a box with the last 6 apps shows up. Something new is that a Task manager is built in and there's a button to directly access it in that box. I've never seen this on an Android yet, so no need to download Advanced Task Killer if you prefer to stop your apps.

Phone is bigger for sure, but not overbearing. I'd say the larger feel comes more from height. The phones are darn near the same width. But, once you pic this bad boy up you'll realize how heavy an Evo is. The actual screen is slightly wider without getting out my ruler.
    <<< that's what she said
    09-14-2011 08:31 PM
    No kidding. A couple of my coworkers have the S1, and it is so unbelievably light compared to my Evo.

I know it's bigger on paper, but, I wasn't sure if it was noticeably larger in one orientation. Taller and a bit wider is good. Can't wait to see the keyboard in landscape. Should be nice.

I love huge phone displays, but I think they're reaching the threshold. 5" might be the maximum.
    09-14-2011 08:31 PM
    I told my wife that the size is 4.5 inches.

She said she's used to that and smiled.

But she has an iPhone that is 3.5 inches!

WTF????
    09-14-2011 08:34 PM

WTF????
    LOL
    09-14-2011 08:38 PM
    Can you modify the 4 app shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen? IIRC, in the earlier version of Touchwiz, you couldn't change those. Is that still the case?
    09-14-2011 08:41 PM
    Can you modify the 4 app shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen? IIRC, in the earlier version of Touchwiz, you couldn't change those. Is that still the case?
    Yup. Took a second to figure it out, but easily done by opening the App drawer-->menu-->edit. You can then move shortcuts whereever you want (rearrange in the drawer, bottom bar, add app drawer pages etc). Notice in the first pic I shot that Handcent is at the bottom. The same sequence while on your homescreens (menu-->edit) allows you to easily manage your homescreens...really cool actually. Can add, delete and MOVE/reorder your homescreens very easily.
    09-14-2011 09:05 PM
    Some one at that store will be called out on selling a phone early. We always!!! Get emails stating "DO NOT SELL until ......"
    09-14-2011 10:46 PM
    Some one at that store will be called out on selling a phone early. We always!!! Get emails stating "DO NOT SELL until ......"
    Yeah someone might get in trouble over this. Our gain I say .. well more turtle's gain heh. At least he's not posting videos all over YouTube like that guy with the Bionic. He got the screws turned on him hardcore.
    09-14-2011 11:14 PM
    Yeah someone might get in trouble over this. Our gain I say .. well more turtle's gain heh. At least he's not posting videos all over YouTube like that guy with the Bionic. He got the screws turned on him hardcore.
    Bah, we all know my pics are photoshopped anyway. The phone is really on sale soon enough :-)
    09-14-2011 11:46 PM
    Of course...use No Lock from the market.
    09-15-2011 04:19 AM

WTF????
    Sounds more embarrassing in your case and something I wouldn't have shared
    09-15-2011 05:19 AM
    Haven't seen a post that mentioned getting the phone today but my GS2 is on the way by UPS to be delivered today. Ordered through a local sprint store yesterday and got an email confirmation and tracking number last night. Still having trouble giving up on my EVO 4G that I have had since launch day. I hope that Samsung will be timely with OS updates with this phone.
    09-15-2011 05:24 AM
    Is there a menu to adjust the screens colors and contrast like the international version?
    09-15-2011 05:32 AM
    Is there a menu to adjust the screens colors and contrast like the international version?
    Yes. In the menu its called "screen mode" and has 3 options: Dynamic, Standard and Movie. They are preset changes in contrast and saturation as best I can tell.
    oskar1995 and eric3316 like this.
    09-15-2011 07:04 AM
    Yup. Took a second to figure it out, but easily done by opening the App drawer-->menu-->edit. You can then move shortcuts whereever you want (rearrange in the drawer, bottom bar, add app drawer pages etc). Notice in the first pic I shot that Handcent is at the bottom. The same sequence while on your homescreens (menu-->edit) allows you to easily manage your homescreens...really cool actually. Can add, delete and MOVE/reorder your homescreens very easily.
    thanks dude, i've been trying to figure this out all night lol
    09-15-2011 07:35 AM
    Turtle3,

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone's posts. That is very nice of you. I was hoping you could address two things. I'm a Photon guy with 10 days left till I can exchange. I'm really thinking about this phone and was hoping you could answer two questions
    1. I saw the 4G speed test, pretty solid overall. Would you be able to do a 3G speed test. I'm beginning to think the Photon has a throughput issue on web speed and thats the one area I'm going to test in store.

2. What are the cons (there has to be something) that would keep someone from buying this phone. Might not be significant but I'm curious what bugs, issues you might run into. I realize you might not have found them yet:

Remaining thoughts when you get a chance: Call quality, headphone quality, overall feel of the phone, heat when using a graphics intensive game (my Photon is scorching with Drag Racing).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance with vetting out this phone!!
    09-15-2011 07:42 AM
    Turtle3,

How is the reception compared to the evo, can you download a reception meter app on both the evo and gs2 and see what numbers they show in the same area. In my opinion the original evo had great reception but evo 3d sucked. Even if you evo is not active u can use wifi to download the app and it should work. I just would like to know what the dBm number is on both phones a good app is Signal Strength Widget.
    Thanks
    09-15-2011 08:10 AM
    Turtle3,

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone's posts. That is very nice of you. I was hoping you could address two things. I'm a Photon guy with 10 days left till I can exchange. I'm really thinking about this phone and was hoping you could answer two questions
    1. I saw the 4G speed test, pretty solid overall. Would you be able to do a 3G speed test. I'm beginning to think the Photon has a throughput issue on web speed and thats the one area I'm going to test in store.

2. What are the cons (there has to be something) that would keep someone from buying this phone. Might not be significant but I'm curious what bugs, issues you might run into. I realize you might not have found them yet:

Remaining thoughts when you get a chance: Call quality, headphone quality, overall feel of the phone, heat when using a graphics intensive game (my Photon is scorching with Drag Racing).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance with vetting out this phone!!
    Don't have a camera here at work, but speedtest indoors with 3G I got 670kbps down 240 up. Keep in mind speed tests have so many confounding variables, so this could change dramatically depending oon circumstances.

Honestly, my only complaints so far are: the large text input box in the messaging app. Its a minor UI thing that just bugs me. The default vibrate notification is a bit long for my taste, but in handcent i customize the length of the vibration notification anyway. I'm not a huge fan of the unlock screen. It's a bit too picky about getting your finger all the way off the screen. Maybe I'll get better at it. Other than that, I seriously think this phone is a homerun. It's a workhorse and the user experience is phenomenal
    oskar1995, cpuOahu and Nrbelex like this.
    09-15-2011 08:39 AM
    Turtle,

Thanks for the info. I certainly recognize the variations in speed test. Part of the reason I want to Speedtest my Photon next to the GS2 a couple times before I make a decision. I appreciation your input regarding the little things that bother you.

As you get a chance to use the phone more I'd be curious about Call Quality (Photon is arguably the best I've ever heard), Headphone Quality (music, podcasts, etc) and the Heat when the proc really gets ramped up.
    09-15-2011 09:15 AM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD