Local Sprint Corp store just emailed me to pickup the phone today

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Local Sprint Corp store just emailed me to pickup the phone t

I would like to know everything you can tell.

Speed, I know its fast with out anything loaded, but how is it after loading your apps.

Camera/ video - good light, low light, moving objects, shutter speed. How is it?

Network: How are the Network speeds where you are. Speed test? I know varies.

Battery Life: How has it been so far? Maybe a screen shot.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

4G connected in about 7 seconds. This is the first speedtest I ran and I'm sitting indoors in a coffee shop. PS - I'm not in Washington DC...not sure why it picked that server.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

4G connected in about 7 seconds. This is the first speedtest I ran and I'm sitting indoors in a coffee shop. PS - I'm not in Washington DC...not sure why it picked that server.

8mbps down. Not bad for WiMax honestly.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

I would like to know everything you can tell.

Speed, I know its fast with out anything loaded, but how is it after loading your apps.

Camera/ video - good light, low light, moving objects, shutter speed. How is it?

Network: How are the Network speeds where you are. Speed test? I know varies.

Battery Life: How has it been so far? Maybe a screen shot.

Speed is ridiculous. I haven't noticed one glitch or slow down yet and I've loaded all my apps back. Did a test this afternoon loading multiple apps in a row and notice no lag whatsoever. This phone is sufficiently overpowered that the user-experience is flawless.

Camera is awesome. Has a 4x digital zoom that's actually quite good. Lots and lots of settings to change too so you can adjust for all the scenarios you listed. I haven't personally gone out and tested all those scenarios, but I did shoot some pics today and thought they blew my Evo out of the water.

Battery has been going for 14 and 1/2hrs today and I'm at 44%. I'm in a building all day that notoriously has poor cell coverage for all providers. My Evo would get worked by bouncing to roam or just straining to keep 3G connected. I'd find myself recharging mid-day on that phone, but the E4GT did just fine today.

Reactions: JayWill and foogle

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Battery has been going for 14 and 1/2hrs today and I'm at 44%. I'm in a building all day that notoriously has poor cell coverage for all providers. My Evo would get worked by bouncing to roam or just straining to keep 3G connected. I'd find myself recharging mid-day on that phone, but the E4GT did just fine today.

That is insane. Makes me hopeful that I can have some battery draining apps and/or functions running and still get a full day of use.

Good stuff! Thank you!

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

This pisses me off to no end!

Here I am rocking a palm pre and I can't get rid of this thing till Friday! I literally want to kill someone right now due to frustrations with the Palm Pre! Not to mention I wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for 3 crappy Evo 3Ds & 1 Crappy Photon!

Sprint, you better not fail me Friday!

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Here I am rocking a palm pre and I can't get rid of this thing till Friday! I literally want to kill someone right now due to frustrations with the Palm Pre! Not to mention I wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for 3 crappy Evo 3Ds & 1 Crappy Photon!

They won't. This phone wins.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

Have you gotten rid of Touchwiz and opted for a better launcher yet?

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Dude, relax. I'm using a Blackberry Pearl w/ a sucky battery right now b/c my EVO screen decided to stop working a few weeks ago. I'd give anything to be back on my old Pre until Friday. lol. The Sprint rep even laughed at me when I activated the Pearl.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Have you gotten rid of Touchwiz and opted for a better launcher yet?

Coming from HTC Sense (which blows), I'm giving Touchwiz 4.0 a fair shake before I go back to LauncherPro. So far I'm very impressed. They've added some useful gestures for zooming and panning that incorporate the accelerometer. It's also very customizable and polished, so I'm keeping it for now. I'm not a huge fan of the lock-screen concept (move a whole picture off the screen), however, they make up for it with swipe bars that show up when you get a text that automatically unlocks the screen and takes you to that texting conversation. I still yearn for the vanilla-android lock screen with the functional swipe button on the right (silence vs. audible ringer) which I used all the time on my rooted Evo

Bottom line - pretty darn impressed with Touchwiz so far....keeping it.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

What are you using for a keyboard? Any way to get a shot of it next to your Evo?

Any way to possibly disable the lock screen? That's one of my biggest annoyances with stock ROMs. That's one of the things I'm going to miss the most. I use Cyanogenmod on my Evo and have the lock screen completely disabled.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

What are you using for a keyboard? Any way to get a shot of it next to your Evo?

Any way to possibly disable the lock screen? That's one of my biggest annoyances with stock ROMs. That's one of the things I'm going to miss the most. I use Cyanogenmod on my Evo and have the lock screen completely disabled.

Funny you ask about the keyboard. It comes preloaded with Swype and Samsung's variation on the stock android keyboard. I am very partial to the stock-vanilla gingerbread keyboard and am so used to it that as soon as I got the phone I downloaded/installed it. So, I'm not using one of the pre-loaded keyboards just out of personal preference. I think the GB Keyboard (search for Keyboard from Android 2.3 by Steven Lin in the Market) is cleaner, simpler, has better recognition, and is more customizable.

Right now I'm taking pics with my Evo. Don't have another camera on me. You just want a size comparison?

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

I'll be using Smart Keyboard Pro. Been using that since my OG Droid. So convenient to have all your apps sync automatically whenever you switch to a device.

Yeah, a size comparison is what I wanted. Is the screen wider?

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Turtle3 is there a "recent apps" function and how do you access it?

Yup. Just like any Android...press and hold the Home button and a box with the last 6 apps shows up. Something new is that a Task manager is built in and there's a button to directly access it in that box. I've never seen this on an Android yet, so no need to download Advanced Task Killer if you prefer to stop your apps.

I'll be using Smart Keyboard Pro. Been using that since my OG Droid. So convenient to have all your apps sync automatically whenever you switch to a device.

Yeah, a size comparison is what I wanted. Is the screen wider?

Phone is bigger for sure, but not overbearing. I'd say the larger feel comes more from height. The phones are darn near the same width. But, once you pic this bad boy up you'll realize how heavy an Evo is. The actual screen is slightly wider without getting out my ruler.

I should clarify - it's bigger, but I still don't feel like it's "too big" at all. The larger screen is amazing and I think the progression of the industry is toward 4.3'' to 5'' screens being the norm. When the Evo launched everyone made cracks that the screen was "huge" however, now it's widely accepted. Changes take time and I think this 4.5'' will be no exception if it meets a little 'general public' resistance.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yup. Just like any Android...press and hold the Home button and a box with the last 6 apps shows up. Something new is that a Task manager is built in and there's a button to directly access it in that box. I've never seen this on an Android yet, so no need to download Advanced Task Killer if you prefer to stop your apps.

Phone is bigger for sure, but not overbearing. I'd say the larger feel comes more from height. The phones are darn near the same width. But, once you pic this bad boy up you'll realize how heavy an Evo is. The actual screen is slightly wider without getting out my ruler.
<<< that's what she said

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

No kidding. A couple of my coworkers have the S1, and it is so unbelievably light compared to my Evo.

I know it's bigger on paper, but, I wasn't sure if it was noticeably larger in one orientation. Taller and a bit wider is good. Can't wait to see the keyboard in landscape. Should be nice.

I love huge phone displays, but I think they're reaching the threshold. 5" might be the maximum.

SkyeHack

Banned
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I told my wife that the size is 4.5 inches.

She said she's used to that and smiled.

But she has an iPhone that is 3.5 inches!

WTF????