Local Sprint Corp store just emailed me to pickup the phone today

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Re: Local Sprint Corp store just emailed me to pickup the phone t

Can you modify the 4 app shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen? IIRC, in the earlier version of Touchwiz, you couldn't change those. Is that still the case?

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Can you modify the 4 app shortcuts at the bottom of the home screen? IIRC, in the earlier version of Touchwiz, you couldn't change those. Is that still the case?

Yup. Took a second to figure it out, but easily done by opening the App drawer-->menu-->edit. You can then move shortcuts whereever you want (rearrange in the drawer, bottom bar, add app drawer pages etc). Notice in the first pic I shot that Handcent is at the bottom. The same sequence while on your homescreens (menu-->edit) allows you to easily manage your homescreens...really cool actually. Can add, delete and MOVE/reorder your homescreens very easily.

boggs3010#AC

Banned
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Some one at that store will be called out on selling a phone early. We always!!! Get emails stating "DO NOT SELL until ......"

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Some one at that store will be called out on selling a phone early. We always!!! Get emails stating "DO NOT SELL until ......"

Yeah someone might get in trouble over this. Our gain I say .. well more turtle's gain heh. At least he's not posting videos all over YouTube like that guy with the Bionic. He got the screws turned on him hardcore.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah someone might get in trouble over this. Our gain I say .. well more turtle's gain heh. At least he's not posting videos all over YouTube like that guy with the Bionic. He got the screws turned on him hardcore.

Bah, we all know my pics are photoshopped anyway. The phone is really on sale soon enough :)

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I told my wife that the size is 4.5 inches.

She said she's used to that and smiled.

But she has an iPhone that is 3.5 inches!

WTF????

Sounds more embarrassing in your case and something I wouldn't have shared :(

Todds7

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Haven't seen a post that mentioned getting the phone today but my GS2 is on the way by UPS to be delivered today. Ordered through a local sprint store yesterday and got an email confirmation and tracking number last night. Still having trouble giving up on my EVO 4G that I have had since launch day. I hope that Samsung will be timely with OS updates with this phone.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Is there a menu to adjust the screens colors and contrast like the international version?

tool2269

May 29, 2010
Visit site

Yup. Took a second to figure it out, but easily done by opening the App drawer-->menu-->edit. You can then move shortcuts whereever you want (rearrange in the drawer, bottom bar, add app drawer pages etc). Notice in the first pic I shot that Handcent is at the bottom. The same sequence while on your homescreens (menu-->edit) allows you to easily manage your homescreens...really cool actually. Can add, delete and MOVE/reorder your homescreens very easily.

thanks dude, i've been trying to figure this out all night lol

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Turtle3,

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone's posts. That is very nice of you. I was hoping you could address two things. I'm a Photon guy with 10 days left till I can exchange. I'm really thinking about this phone and was hoping you could answer two questions
1. I saw the 4G speed test, pretty solid overall. Would you be able to do a 3G speed test. I'm beginning to think the Photon has a throughput issue on web speed and thats the one area I'm going to test in store.

2. What are the cons (there has to be something) that would keep someone from buying this phone. Might not be significant but I'm curious what bugs, issues you might run into. I realize you might not have found them yet:

Remaining thoughts when you get a chance: Call quality, headphone quality, overall feel of the phone, heat when using a graphics intensive game (my Photon is scorching with Drag Racing).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance with vetting out this phone!!

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Turtle3,

How is the reception compared to the evo, can you download a reception meter app on both the evo and gs2 and see what numbers they show in the same area. In my opinion the original evo had great reception but evo 3d sucked. Even if you evo is not active u can use wifi to download the app and it should work. I just would like to know what the dBm number is on both phones a good app is Signal Strength Widget.
Thanks

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

Turtle3,

First of all thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone's posts. That is very nice of you. I was hoping you could address two things. I'm a Photon guy with 10 days left till I can exchange. I'm really thinking about this phone and was hoping you could answer two questions
1. I saw the 4G speed test, pretty solid overall. Would you be able to do a 3G speed test. I'm beginning to think the Photon has a throughput issue on web speed and thats the one area I'm going to test in store.

2. What are the cons (there has to be something) that would keep someone from buying this phone. Might not be significant but I'm curious what bugs, issues you might run into. I realize you might not have found them yet:

Remaining thoughts when you get a chance: Call quality, headphone quality, overall feel of the phone, heat when using a graphics intensive game (my Photon is scorching with Drag Racing).

Again, thanks for all of your assistance with vetting out this phone!!

Don't have a camera here at work, but speedtest indoors with 3G I got 670kbps down 240 up. Keep in mind speed tests have so many confounding variables, so this could change dramatically depending oon circumstances.

Honestly, my only complaints so far are: the large text input box in the messaging app. Its a minor UI thing that just bugs me. The default vibrate notification is a bit long for my taste, but in handcent i customize the length of the vibration notification anyway. I'm not a huge fan of the unlock screen. It's a bit too picky about getting your finger all the way off the screen. Maybe I'll get better at it. Other than that, I seriously think this phone is a homerun. It's a workhorse and the user experience is phenomenal

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

Turtle,

Thanks for the info. I certainly recognize the variations in speed test. Part of the reason I want to Speedtest my Photon next to the GS2 a couple times before I make a decision. I appreciation your input regarding the little things that bother you.

As you get a chance to use the phone more I'd be curious about Call Quality (Photon is arguably the best I've ever heard), Headphone Quality (music, podcasts, etc) and the Heat when the proc really gets ramped up.

anon(482205)

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Turtle,

One of the things that's important to me about my soon-to-be retired BlackBerry Bold 9700 is the LED notification of unread e-mail / text messages.

I know the GS2 has LED notification but I've read conflicting reports about how long it actually works for. Does it blink indefinitely until you pick up the handset and read your messages or does it just blink for a short period of time and then stop?

I know you have handcent installed on your phone but I haven't read up on it enough to know how it works. I've been a BlackBerry user for the past 4 years and have led a sheltered life as far as Android is concerned.

Thanks in advance.

anon(406518)

Jul 13, 2011
www.theadultgamer.com

Also curious about how the LED works. Can you set it up to blink different colors? Does it blink for emails, text messages, and missed calls? Anything else?

Ninjak

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

In the same boat.....the sprint store I went to said I was the only one who asked about the phone...lol. Cool by me. I still got a gift card since I will apply it to getting the phone anyway. I am just hoping they have good accessories available on launch day.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I called my local sprint store today to schedule my appointment for tomorrow since I had already preordered 2. The guy said "I think we can start selling them today but let me double check on that." Then came back "yeah sorry that was the 16th I had the day mixed up." MOTHER F**CKER stop toying with my emotions! LOL I need my fix! So my appointment is tomorrow at store opening at 10am est.

Last edited:

rasbutan

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

Turtle,

One of the things that's important to me about my soon-to-be retired BlackBerry Bold 9700 is the LED notification of unread e-mail / text messages.

I know the GS2 has LED notification but I've read conflicting reports about how long it actually works for. Does it blink indefinitely until you pick up the handset and read your messages or does it just blink for a short period of time and then stop?

I know you have handcent installed on your phone but I haven't read up on it enough to know how it works. I've been a BlackBerry user for the past 4 years and have led a sheltered life as far as Android is concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Also interested in this. I'm coming off a 5 year stint on BB, so I'm nervous/anxious about getting something new and top of the line. And that little notification light is HUGE draw for me.