Samsung Reception still Abysmal?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the photon but you can blame sprint service for all these issues. I change phones like crazy. I have tried nexus s, it had better 4g speeds than even the evo, in the same room the nexus never disconnected where evo 3d would lose signal left and right. Yes I am saying that the sprint service is very picky. I mean you can expect evo 3d to work great outdoors but the nexus worked inside my room no problem. The motorola does hold 4g signal better, I recently moved and the evo 3d doesn't even pick up a signal for 4g where photon does connect. Sprint service is pathetic in some places, you can have best 4g or 3g service the same signal strength, it just seems that the towers cant handle it in some areas. I get .05mb in the new area on 3g and 4g ranges from .75mb to 2mb if I am lucky. 2mb rarely happens.
At home I can just live on wifi, I can't rely on data service at all at the new location. I think people either would love sprint or hate them depending on where they are. My brothers house is suppose to be in best 4g coverage and the photon doesn't even connect at his house, kinda pathetic. If you ask me I think it is sprint's towers that screw you over not the phone.

Agree with slingbox. Also you said you just moved . look to see how far from the tower you are now. I don't get super fast speeds but i do know when I'm at my Brothers house i'm usually on 1x of data . People do like to blame Sprint for a lot of stuff but sometimes we should step back and check our selves. Maybe where you live now it at the far edge of Sprints signal reach. And like slingbox said. they are upgrading there towers and speeds will get better soon. Sorry that your having problems but we can't blam everything on Sprint.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Agree with slingbox. Also you said you just moved . look to see how far from the tower you are now. I don't get super fast speeds but i do know when I'm at my Brothers house i'm usually on 1x of data . People do like to blame Sprint for a lot of stuff but sometimes we should step back and check our selves. Maybe where you live now it at the far edge of Sprints signal reach. And like slingbox said. they are upgrading there towers and speeds will get better soon. Sorry that your having problems but we can't blam everything on Sprint.

dont know if they are upgrading their towers, not that they tell me. My signal strength is the same as the signal strenght that I had before. I downloaded the app from market that tells you where the nearest tower is. I am connected to a tower 1344m from me, it is not that far on the map. My speeds are terrible though, I mean down right slow. I cant break 50kb on 3g and half a meg on 4g if that is possible.

I am not on the edge by any means. Last time I called they said nothing about towers being upgraded, to them everything is fine in my area and there is no work going on. I am not complaining I am usually happy but I would love to rely on my phone if my internet goes down at home, which happened today for 2 hours. Well they have me for another year and a half, so if they arn't able to finish by then I would sadly have to lose my unlimited data.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize the GSII uses the same radios as the Nexus S...well, that certainly rules out it as an option. The 'phone' functionality is very weak on my Nexus, I was hoping for improvement. It will be interesting to see if the Nexus Prime uses the same radio too.... :eek:

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize the GSII uses the same radios as the Nexus S...well, that certainly rules out it as an option. The 'phone' functionality is very weak on my Nexus, I was hoping for improvement. It will be interesting to see if the Nexus Prime uses the same radio too.... :eek:

Out of curiosity, where is everyone reading that this has the same radio? Even if true, that does not mean software/firmware has evolved to make all the difference. Most folks (engadget included) have only mentioned great reception and call clarity.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Well, here's what Engadget's reviewer had to say about it ...

Our calls were absolutely solid. The phone's reception is on par with the best handsets around, and we never suffered from dropped calls or degraded quality. Our calls came in absolutely clear, and we think the speakers go to 11 because we had to actually turn down the volume to comfortably hear the other end of the line.

For what it's worth.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
hmm all this negative chat about radio :confused:
Were is fact info that states both use same radio?
If it does use same radio were is fact that Samsung hasn't applied better firmware to work on GSII?

Until both questions are answered with fact this thread is waste....oh except for my chocolate chip cookie post lol
Feel free to throw me thanks for that :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, where is everyone reading that this has the same radio? Even if true, that does not mean software/firmware has evolved to make all the difference.

There was an article on one of the tech sites a couple weeks ago that claimed this. I can't remember which one and I can't find it. I thought it was Gizmodo, or Gizmocrunch, or Gizmondofondohippyhappycrunch. Honestly I can't keep them all straight anymore.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
From Brief Mobile's review:

The Epic 4G Touch shows a much stronger signal then it?s predecessor, the Epic 4G. In fact, there?s nearly a two bar (approximately -18 to -20 dBm) difference between the devices. Furthermore, it beats out the Nexus S 4G by at least -10 dBm in most scenarios. This is surprising considering the problems Samsung devices have been facing with CDMA technology, as seen in the Nexus S 4G and the Epic 4G. Numerous software updates have been released for the Nexus S 4G and Epic 4G alike for signal improvements, but it?s quite nice to have a Samsung device with a working radio/modem out of the box.

I think we can put this one to bed. Nigh nigh!

Reactions: Slingbox

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
But its plasticky!!!

What? the radio? Sammy uses high quality materials. This Plastic stuff is old and whack. Would you rather it be made of metal or glass? I have dropped my First Epic 3+ft off the nite stand reaching for my glasses and this plasticy Phone took it like hot butter on bread. Sammy's phone is top notch . You don't have to like or get it but please don't put this beast of a phone down because its Plasicy. thanks:)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
dont know if they are upgrading their towers, not that they tell me. My signal strength is the same as the signal strenght that I had before. I downloaded the app from market that tells you where the nearest tower is. I am connected to a tower 1344m from me, it is not that far on the map. My speeds are terrible though, I mean down right slow. I cant break 50kb on 3g and half a meg on 4g if that is possible.

I am not on the edge by any means. Last time I called they said nothing about towers being upgraded, to them everything is fine in my area and there is no work going on. I am not complaining I am usually happy but I would love to rely on my phone if my internet goes down at home, which happened today for 2 hours. Well they have me for another year and a half, so if they arn't able to finish by then I would sadly have to lose my unlimited data.

Sorry that you have had these problems. Not that it matters but my co-worker was having lots of problems with her EVO shift . she took it in and they said the problems were a software issue. Has a new phone and no problems. She got hers at RS. good luck if you get this phone hope it works better for you...

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I can tell you right now, that their may be some signal issues with people that have just okay sprint service. I have noticed the signal jumping all over the place. Often times it would drop all bars, but still retained 3g. Im sure an update will help fix this later on, but I do see it as a potential issue.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that you have had these problems. Not that it matters but my co-worker was having lots of problems with her EVO shift . she took it in and they said the problems were a software issue. Has a new phone and no problems. She got hers at RS. good luck if you get this phone hope it works better for you...

No just picked up the samsung and returned the photon, I have the evo 3d as well on a separate line. I get service, I always get 3g, signal strenght seems fine but it is just really slow on data, I mean too slow. I have no complain about the signal, I do have complain about the data speed though.

I moved to northern cali recently and I got decent data speeds in so cal where I moved from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37