Add new line with E4GT, cancel old line -- any problem with that?

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I joined Sprint on 6/4/10 (the day the Evo 4G came out) and of course I was given the shaft by Sprint when they banished me to the dreaded 'premier silver' tier, thereby moving my full upgrade date to April 2012.

Now, I want the E4GT and was thinking I would add a new line (with an individual rate plan) to my account and then cancel my old account with the Evo 4G, since it has the lower ETF (prorated to $90 at this point). The reason for making the new line an individual line rather than converting the original line to a family plan is for convenience (easier to just cancel the old line than convert the new family plan back to an individual plan).

I don't think this is unethical in anyway, really, since Sprint fully allows you to add new lines and cancel old ones if you pay the ETF. But any potential problems by doing this? Of course, my phone number will change, but I actually want that since I moved across the country just recently.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Reactions: Floridadomer

mobile79

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Add new line with E4GT, cancel old line -- any problem with t

There's nothing unethical about it at all. You fulfill your agreement by either keeping service for the full two years, or paying the etf if you cancel early.

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

There's nothing unethical about it at all. You fulfill your agreement by either keeping service for the full two years, or paying the etf if you cancel early.

That's what I figured, thanks for the input. It just seemed odd to me that you could have multiple separate accounts (not lines but accounts) under the same name, but I guess it's okay from what Sprint told me today.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Nothing wrong with doing that. If it comes out cheaper for you then its sounds like the best choice and i would do the same. the number change, kind of s bummer but its a trade off and plus your getting a great phone. Enjoy ...

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

That's exactly what I'm doing. I got an Evo on launch day. ETF to cancel the line is $80. Easy amount to swallow, IMO. Pretty sure you can't keep your number, but, that's fine with me. When I got my Evo, I got a freshly recycled number. I get a long of wrong numbers.

springsyeti

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Since the changes in fees you can cancel your contract w/ sprint and not pay the ETF, correct? Then cancel your contract then start a new account, is that possible..? Get a google voice number and then it does not matter if you cancel accounts and get a new number.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site

Since the changes in fees you can cancel your contract w/ sprint and not pay the ETF, correct? Then cancel your contract then start a new account, is that possible..? Get a google voice number and then it does not matter if you cancel accounts and get a new number.

Pretty sure Sprint put the kibosh on that. In the fine print it says they reserve the right to increase..whatever fee it was they increased to $1.99. Some people had a lot of luck with it at first, but, they're not letting people out anymore.

Even if it were the case, I think there's a 30-45 day waiting period before you can make a new account after closing one out.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I joined Sprint on 6/4/10 (the day the Evo 4G came out) and of course I was given the shaft by Sprint when they banished me to the dreaded 'premier silver' tier, thereby moving my full upgrade date to April 2012.

Now, I want the E4GT and was thinking I would add a new line (with an individual rate plan) to my account and then cancel my old account with the Evo 4G, since it has the lower ETF (prorated to $90 at this point). The reason for making the new line an individual line rather than converting the original line to a family plan is for convenience (easier to just cancel the old line than convert the new family plan back to an individual plan).

I don't think this is unethical in anyway, really, since Sprint fully allows you to add new lines and cancel old ones if you pay the ETF. But any potential problems by doing this? Of course, my phone number will change, but I actually want that since I moved across the country just recently.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I have the same scenario as you and i think the cheapest way for us to get the phone is to pay the tf and then pay the $200.00 for the new phone. I am ok with getting a new number. I discussed this issue with a Sprint customer retention mgr and they said it would be ok.

Is it Friday yet?

Ian B

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I have the same scenario as you and i think the cheapest way for us to get the phone is to pay the tf and then pay the $200.00 for the new phone.

Thanks for the input everyone, interesting to see how many of early adopter-types are all in the same situation, and even with the same start dates, etc. :D

Anyway, I just placed my order with Wirefly for $150 w/free shipping but also the $36 activation fee. But using the Bank of America "Add It Up" cashback program, I was able to get $50 cashback (given at a future date, like the Bing/Ebay cashback deal a couple years ago). So, it'll come out to $136 net cost after I get the cashback.

I'm also sending in my Evo 4G for hopefully the full $87 buyback (although probably I'll get less since my Evo is a bit beat up), which would bring the final net to about $49 at the lowest, but hopefully no higher than $100.

The wait will be painful, but I'll be thrilled if I get my hands on this phone sometime next week!

Latteart

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

First of all self your evo on Craigslist for a lot more than $87.

I wish these carriers would see the value in giving us a yearly upgrade at the new customer phone price. I know so many people that would have bought another phone if they had the chance for the right price. I usually end up paying full price but that was with Verizon.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I just did this exact thing. My nexus was messing up and i decided to add a new line and cancel the old one.

------------------------------------------
Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

This thread was a nice read. I also have an EVO also and have been drooling over this phone. One of my kids lines is eligible on Monday and I am going to use theirs to upgrade and then switch the phone to my line. After all, isn't that what kids are for?!

smd4usc

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm also sending in my Evo 4G for hopefully the full $87 buyback (although probably I'll get less since my Evo is a bit beat up), which would bring the final net to about $49 at the lowest, but hopefully no higher than $100.

Just an FYI, I sent in an Evo 4G with a broken screen & I still got the full amount of the buyback credited to my account.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

What's unethical is having to pay $20 additional each month in wireless taxes. I say do every legal thing possible to work the system to save as much as possible.

philentology

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

Just an FYI, I sent in an Evo 4G with a broken screen & I still got the full amount of the buyback credited to my account.

They took mine, and the screen didn't even turn on. Longest 2 weeks without a phone and/or a Sprint Repair shop in driving distance... The SII is making up for it though.

auau465121

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Dude I'm in the exact same boat Its a tough decision I love this phone but to add another $30 on each month and $200 for the phone and $36 activation fee its just too much if I add another line then cancel one that's $200 ETF $200 for the phone choices choices choices

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Folks before doing these plans of yours, call up Sprint retention department. Tell them you're going to drop the lines since you got screwed on the Silver plan change. A plan you were told about when you signed your contract. Make it very clear.

They will most likely help you out in some way.

I know I did this and they bumped up my upgrade date by 9 months.

bodymassage5

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

So I need some help going about this. Which would be the cheaper/less hassle option? Note that I already have a family plan with two lines (main +1).

1.) Add a new line to my existing family plan then cancel (will there be an ETF?)
2.) Start a new individual line then cancel?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Folks before doing these plans of yours, call up Sprint retention department. Tell them you're going to drop the lines since you got screwed on the Silver plan change. A plan you were told about when you signed your contract. Make it very clear. They will most likely help you out in some way. I know I did this and they bumped up my upgrade date by 9 months.
Could you please elaborate as to how you did that; what was said to convince them? I'm understanding your post as saying you got your last phone in June 2010 (EVO?) and by threatening to drop, they said, "Oh, looksie, your upgrade date is September 2011. You can go get a new phone now with a 2-year re-up. You're welcome."

I've had call reception problems that nothing seems to fix for over 6 months with my EVO and if I could use that as leverage to secure an upgrade, I'd appreciate it.

bodymassage5

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Dude I'm in the exact same boat Its a tough decision I love this phone but to add another $30 on each month and $200 for the phone and $36 activation fee its just too much if I add another line then cancel one that's $200 ETF $200 for the phone choices choices choices

Can someone please verify that the current ETF for Sprint is $200? I've been reading that starting Sept. 9th, the ETF would be raised to $350 although the official site says $200. I don't want to get a bait and switch pulled on me within the 30 day trial where mid-way in the 30 day trial they change it to $350 ETF and now I'm stuck having to pay $150 more than what I would have.