I've finally decided to get a smartphone, and the Epic 4g touch is what i decided on (after reviewing different phones for months now). I feel like i already know how to work the phone because of how many reviews i have seen on it, but i would really appreciate some suggestions on what i should do with it now.

For instance what apps and widgets do anyone suggest? I'm already thinking about getting beautiful widgets and maybe playing around with tasker, but are there any other apps or widgets i should really know about? I've already googled and read plenty of site's "best apps", but they all seem to be the same. I'm also planning on going through android central's app reviews, but i feel like that will take a pretty long time, so any advice would help haha.

Also i was wondering different opinions on whether or not i should buy a case and screen protector. I know the epic has gorilla glass, so do i really need a screen protector?

Any thoughts and suggestions you guys have would be awesome.
    09-16-2011 12:48 PM
    I suggest you buy an EVO 3d and keep it for 10 days before going to the Epic 4G touch. Then you will appreciate the E4G more S

I keep my phones nekkid, but have a leather case to put the E4G in when not in use.
    09-16-2011 01:30 PM
    Try Fancy Widgets for a nice free clock widget. I love the feature of being able to launch any app when u touch the hour or min. If u get the paid version, u can download all sorts of different themes. I think its like $2. As far as cases go, I really like tpu cases. Its soft and flexible yet slick so it slides in and out if ur pocket easily. Plus they're like $5 on ebay. Evernote is an awesome free app that has great widgets. Also different launchers have different widgets. I love Launcher Pro. Well worth the $ for the payed version. It has some very good widgets built in. Good luck!
    chill.117 likes this.
    09-16-2011 02:35 PM
    Oh and as far as screen protectors go. Its better just not to take a chance, but don't spend too much. I buy those on ebay as well. I prefer the clear PET screen protectors. They don't scratch as easily as some of the other cheap ones but u can still get em for like $5 for a 3 pack.
    09-16-2011 02:43 PM
    I HATE adding bulk to my phones. Given that this one is so thin though, it may not be too bad. I'm very picky about cases though. They must be thin (of course) and I don't like rubber ones cuz they make it hard for the phone to "slide" into your pocket (I know, I'm obsessed). I also prefer having a case I can easily remove if I want.

I like screen protectors (I've used ZAGG, which is awesome but pricy) because they reduce finger print smudges (which drive me nuts). Congrats on the new phone, you chose very wisely. Also, if you're a tinkerer like me, its rooting, custom rom time!!
    chill.117 likes this.
    09-16-2011 02:47 PM
    Personally I like the slim leather cases with or without a clip. If the clip is bulky, no way, but a slim one goes in your pocket nicely, and when you want it on your belt it's simple. Then you get protection while carrying but the beauty of a naked device.
    chill.117 likes this.
    09-16-2011 02:49 PM
    I love the way it feels without a case. It is so slim in your hand.
    I'm not careful so I have a case. The phone is thin but it is big. I had the EVO but this feels bigger with a case so if you do get a case get a thin one.

The glass does scratch so just be careful where you store it if you don't use a screen protector.
    chill.117 likes this.
    09-16-2011 03:22 PM
    Try Fancy Widgets for a nice free clock widget. I love the feature of being able to launch any app when u touch the hour or min. If u get the paid version, u can download all sorts of different themes. I think its like $2. As far as cases go, I really like tpu cases. Its soft and flexible yet slick so it slides in and out if ur pocket easily. Plus they're like $5 on ebay. Evernote is an awesome free app that has great widgets. Also different launchers have different widgets. I love Launcher Pro. Well worth the $ for the payed version. It has some very good widgets built in. Good luck!
    I'll download fancy widgets and evernote as soon as my phone recharges, and i'm not exactly sure what tpu cases are, but i'll google that haha. $5 for a case sounds much better than the $30 case sprint tried to sell me. Thanks for the advice!
    09-16-2011 08:53 PM
    I HATE adding bulk to my phones. Given that this one is so thin though, it may not be too bad. I'm very picky about cases though. They must be thin (of course) and I don't like rubber ones cuz they make it hard for the phone to "slide" into your pocket (I know, I'm obsessed). I also prefer having a case I can easily remove if I want.

I like screen protectors (I've used ZAGG, which is awesome but pricy) because they reduce finger print smudges (which drive me nuts). Congrats on the new phone, you chose very wisely. Also, if you're a tinkerer like me, its rooting, custom rom time!!
    I completely agree about the bulk, i don't want to add any too the phone especially because it feels like the phone isn't even in my pocket. And i don't think you're obsessed about wanting the phone to slide in your pocket, i completely agree haha (of course that could just mean i'm also obsessed).

My friend from work just bought the Droid Bionic a few days ago, and we were comparing our phones today. I'm really loving how thin the epic touch is, and its basically the same size as his bionic, and has a bigger screen. He was also telling me to buy a ZAAG protector, i might suck up the higher price and get that.
    09-16-2011 08:56 PM
    download pulse (newsreader) and beautiful widgets great apps to say the least!
    09-16-2011 08:57 PM
    Gizmodo keeps a running list of "best Android apps" that seems pretty good.

The Best Android Apps

good place to start as any
    09-16-2011 08:58 PM
    Can anyone tell me how to receive texts without the vibration on? When i go to sounds and click on vibration, i have it set on "only when silent", but every time i get a text it still vibrates, but not when i get calls.

Also is anyone noticing less widgets than the international version? For instance that post it widget?

And my phone seems to not wake up right away when i hit the power button, is this happening to anyone else? It takes a lot longer than my friend's bionic.
    09-16-2011 09:01 PM
    The menu you're looking for is in the messaging folder. Messagingmenusettingsuncheck vibrate notify

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest name in the world phone Touch 4G
    09-16-2011 09:10 PM
    Gizmodo keeps a running list of "best Android apps" that seems pretty good.

The Best Android Apps

good place to start as any
    great link
    09-16-2011 09:32 PM
    The menu you're looking for is in the messaging folder. Messagingmenusettingsuncheck vibrate notify

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest name in the world phone Touch 4G
    Thank you, i could not find that haha. Do you know of a way to change the colors of the text messaging bubbles? I know the international version was able to do this.
    09-16-2011 09:49 PM
    Thank you, i could not find that haha. Do you know of a way to change the colors of the text messaging bubbles? I know the international version was able to do this.
    The phonedog review said they took away that ability on the Epic 4G Touch. I hope there aren't a lot of little surprises like that on this phone.
    09-16-2011 10:51 PM
    The phonedog review said they took away that ability on the Epic 4G Touch. I hope there aren't a lot of little surprises like that on this phone.
    So far I've noticed that, along with the post it widget is gone, and you can only set a few of the wallpapers as the lock screen. I'm not really sure why they made those changes....
    09-16-2011 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD