09-19-2011 05:38 PM
88 1234
tools
    Wow. Overreact much? You guys are taking this way too seriously. I wouldnt even care. Its actually pretty hilarious.
    If I wanted used products I'd expect to pay used prices.
    cacherpaderp likes this.
    09-16-2011 05:16 PM
    Ummm...that picture MIGHT (really, not) be okay on a display phone. But on a brand new phone, that should have never been turned on before it was in your hands, it is totally unacceptable. Do not accept any BS about techs playing with it.

It is a funny story, but the underlying problem is that the box had been opened, powered on, used, powered off, put back in the box, and sold as a new device. Which is not okay. I would be pissed if there were grubby hands on my new phone before it was in my possession.

Once this gets big, that guy in the picture will probably lose his job. Even though it should be the guy TAKING the picture who gets in trouble.
    09-16-2011 05:27 PM
    Consumerist.com they love to call best buy out.
    Saved me the typing.
    09-16-2011 05:28 PM
    Best Buy is clearly holding its employees to high standards.

I'd definitely be returning, getting a refund, and taking my money to a real sprint store or ANY other retailer really.

Like others have said I'd also demand the employee is fired or at least punished.

Yeah I have to admit the camera quality is pretty nice lol. But yeah I spoke to their manager and he just made excuses. "When we get in new devices the techs like to open them up and explore them a bit" was his reasoning. I then asked why would there be such a vulgar photo on my phone then and he went on to say that they should have deleted it before it was sold. Awesome.
    But how is that an excuse? They're not allowed to open and play with phones then lie and say they're brand new...

Wow. Overreact much? You guys are taking this way too seriously. I wouldnt even care. Its actually pretty hilarious.
    Why is it overreacting? He just either paid $600+ or $200 and a 2 year contract for a device, and that device has been opened and used/abused for who knows how long, and then sold as new. Unacceptable.
    09-16-2011 05:50 PM
    What do they think they are, Gamestop!?
    09-16-2011 05:53 PM
    Honestly, it isn't that big of a deal. People are trying to make a big deal out of it, probably in the hopes of getting some kind of settlement, either in the form of cash, free swag, or just publicity.

Big deal, someone took a picture with the phone. Who cares? Now, if the phone came out of the box scratched or broken, sure ... or if it came with a ***** covered in feces, yeah. But a picture of someone flipping the bird?

Not a big deal. Funny enough to post to a website, but not enough to make a spectacle over.
    kpazzo6 likes this.
    09-16-2011 05:54 PM
    So if I purchased the device for my mother. She sees's that picture and points it out. I should laugh and tell her to get over it? Why that makes perfect sense. "Mom, its not like its a ***** covered in feces. Suck it up and get over it."
    FAIL
    09-16-2011 06:06 PM
    Contact Best Buy corporate.
    09-16-2011 06:21 PM
    So if I purchased the device for my mother. She sees's that picture and points it out. I should laugh and tell her to get over it? Why that makes perfect sense. "Mom, its not like its a ***** covered in feces. Suck it up and get over it."
    FAIL
    Exactly. This isn't okay.
    09-16-2011 06:22 PM
    I agree with the majority. Take this as far up the chain as possible. It's not acceptable. You should have been given a new device. Good Luck.
    09-16-2011 06:28 PM
    The manager is an A$$. He was hoping to play it off so that you wouldn't go higher. What he did though would be the opposite. Would def take this to cotp, last thing that manager wants is a call from them about it. I used to work in retail like BB. Yes some of the techs do open some of the product. That doesn't mean we condom bad behavior. It was bad enough that a photo was taken. It was made far worse by the inappropriate gesture he made. That GM is gonna be in world of hurt now and we know that chain rolls down. He should have apologized to you given you a sealed new phone and throw in some extras for your greif. Good luck to ya and keep up the pressure.
    stargazer418 likes this.
    09-16-2011 06:36 PM
    Wow. Please keep us updated.
    09-16-2011 06:41 PM
    Too bad u can't read his nametag...
    09-16-2011 07:00 PM
    It's not so much the picture, or the obscene gesture but the fact that the phone was opened and used and then sold as new. And more importantly, if you've read the entire thread, the store managers flippant response to the issue.
    JMU_GSII likes this.
    09-16-2011 07:08 PM
    Honestly, it isn't that big of a deal. People are trying to make a big deal out of it, probably in the hopes of getting some kind of settlement, either in the form of cash, free swag, or just publicity.

Big deal, someone took a picture with the phone. Who cares? Now, if the phone came out of the box scratched or broken, sure ... or if it came with a ***** covered in feces, yeah. But a picture of someone flipping the bird?

Not a big deal. Funny enough to post to a website, but not enough to make a spectacle over.
    It would be big deal for me. Very big deal. I expect a little more. More than someone messing with my property.

At the very least, the store should exchange the phone for a new one. I would demand to be there to open the box. And if the store manager encouraged that behavior, I would not go back to that Best Buy.

Which store was that?
    09-16-2011 07:47 PM
    Suing them might be a little over the top. If it happened to me, I would just go back and demand a brand new phone. If they refused, I would return it all for a full refund and go somewhere official. As many are saying, the issue is that the phone is supposed to be new, unopened, totally fresh from the factory. No, the picture didn't damage the phone, and I am sure it still appears flawless. The fact of the matter is, any device taken out of the box PRIOR to being sold to a customer should not be treated as new, hands down.

It doesn't matter if the phone works perfectly. I buy something new because I know I am the first one to ever use it. I would think BB would want to be giving you a replacement. This is a liability issue. What if something WAS wrong with the phone, and you have photo evidence that it was used before it came into your possession. Any potential defect could be pinned on them.

Honestly though, that store just seems super shady. First, for hiring employees who do this stuff. Second, for not acknowledging that it is a real problem. I have never encountered anything like that in all my time as a Best Buy customer. They have always seemed pretty professional, for the most part.

People saying this isn't a big deal--again, it isn't a matter of whether or not the phone functions perfectly. It is the principle--buying a new product, having it not technically be new. That phone should have been put on display or something. Really, though, it never should have been touched. And the fact that somebody in charge tried to say it is just what employees do...false. Employees do not have the right to open new merchandise on a whim to play with it.
    Trip64, tkemack and kevincwelch like this.
    09-16-2011 08:20 PM
    Are people seriously saying this isn't a big deal? This is very unacceptable. Not only because they've been playing around with a phone and selling it new, but to throw in an obscene gesture. Anf you're saying that's not a big deal?
    09-16-2011 08:32 PM
    Hey guys so I walked into Bestbuy today to get my Epic 4g Touch and I go to play with it as the rep finishes my paperwork and look what I find on it that Bestbuy decided to throw in as a bonus!

I was pretty upset. There was another one as well of a random Sprint fixture. Also before I even got the phone in my hand the reps were handing the phone off to each other to check it out. They didn't even know anything about it nor of its release this morning.
    LMAO
    09-16-2011 08:33 PM
    they never no anything about there phones. they are a horrible big box store to get anything
    09-16-2011 08:40 PM
    Yeah I have to admit the camera quality is pretty nice lol. But yeah I spoke to their manager and he just made excuses. "When we get in new devices the techs like to open them up and explore them a bit" was his reasoning. I then asked why would there be such a vulgar photo on my phone then and he went on to say that they should have deleted it before it was sold. Awesome.
    They don't get tester phones? While everyone would react differently to the situation, I personally would be upset with my "brand new" phone being utilized as a tester phone.
    Jessicalt1 likes this.
    09-16-2011 08:46 PM
    they never no anything about there phones. they are a horrible big box store to get anything
    Lol they didn't even have the phone at my best buy today
    09-16-2011 08:48 PM
    Hmmmm, I've got to say, if it were me, I'm not sure if I'd care so much about it if it was just a rep playing with it. The main reason I like buying NISB phones is so it is covered by warranty, and by selling it as new the warranty is still valid. If it were me and they told me that they had just opened it to take a look at it I'd be fine with it, but I guess they didn't mention it beforehand which is bad. This does set a bad precedent, since you could do far worse with it than simply messing around. I mean, I don't worry too much about malware since you have to do something dumb to install it, but how are you supposed to spot a spying Program that was installed before you even got the phone.

I think all the phone shops (don't think this is limited. to bestbuy) need to do something about this. Part of the problem may be a shortage of demo units, since no manager would want to reduce sales by turning over one of their stock to being a display unit. Did they actually have a display unit in store? I ask because I remember my friend who works in vodafone complain at the release of the sensation because their demo unit never arrived so he had to sell a phone he'd never seen.
    09-16-2011 08:57 PM
    Hmmmm, I've got to say, if it were me, I'm not sure if I'd care so much about it if it was just a rep playing with it. The main reason I like buying NISB phones is so it is covered by warranty, and by selling it as new the warranty is still valid. If it were me and they told me that they had just opened it to take a look at it I'd be fine with it, but I guess they didn't mention it beforehand which is bad. This does set a bad precedent, since you could do far worse with it than simply messing around. I mean, I don't worry too much about malware since you have to do something dumb to install it, but how are you supposed to spot a spying Program that was installed before you even got the phone.

I think all the phone shops (don't think this is limited. to bestbuy) need to do something about this. Part of the problem may be a shortage of demo units, since no manager would want to reduce sales by turning over one of their stock to being a display unit. Did they actually have a display unit in store? I ask because I remember my friend who works in vodafone complain at the release of the sensation because their demo unit never arrived so he had to sell a phone he'd never seen.
    I agree. The problem is that it wasn't disclosed that it had been opened before. The assumption is that employees shouldn't open and play with a product and then sell them as brand new. Unfortunately this isn't always the case.
    09-16-2011 09:07 PM
    Man I'm sorry to hear that you bought your phone from a store with juvenile kids with grubby hands. I agree with those who say to take it to the higher ups. No one should open anything, use them, then try to sell it as new then play it off like they knew nothing about the item being sold.

This makes me not trust retailers with any newly released products anymore. I do see it as a chance to set some sort of standard for other locations and awareness of box opening employees.
    09-16-2011 09:22 PM
    Escalate. Escalate. Escalate. Demand the contact info for their dm. Call corporate.

What bothers me about this isn't that they opened it, it's that the manager defended his employees idiocy when they were clearly in the wrong. If I was him (and I currently work in retail management, so I often am in his position), my first reaction would be to offer you a replacement and a discounted accessory, handled only by me and not by my ***** employees. Then I'd do my best to make that employees life a little bit more miserable every time they're at work.

Seriously, complain until you can't do it anymore. That manager deserves to have their butt handed to them by their dm, and that employee deserves to get fired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-16-2011 09:33 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD