09-19-2011 05:38 PM
88 1234
tools
    Taking a new phone out of a box, screwing around with it, repackaging it, and selling it as new is simply fraud. Best Buy was in trouble in my state some years back because multiple stores were selling returns as new items, and I think its open item pricing and sales drew scrutiny too. Frankly, I try not to buy anything more complicated than BD movies from that store.

Bottom line: I would not feel better about something like this until I yelled at someone at Best Buy about it.
    09-16-2011 09:35 PM
    If you so much as call Public/Consumer Relations and report this and mention the managers non-chalant attitude and tell them you are reporting it to the news agencies and tech sites I guarantee you that you will be enjoying a nice new ET4G on their dime.
    09-16-2011 10:48 PM
    Hey guys so I went back in the store again (This being the Tyler store in Riverside, CA) and spoke to another manager in person. I explained to her my situation and about how I've already spoken to another manager who simply dismissed the issue. She seemed much more reasonable and was seemed to grasp the severity of the situation. She apologized profusely and expressed her frustration and assured me this is not regular BestBuy behavior. She assured me the employee (who I happened to run into at the store who's name I discovered is Victor. I couldn't make out a last name sadly) would be adequately reprimanded. She guaranteed me a new phone which she would personally pick up at a sister store (seeing as how this was the only BestBuy in the district to stock the phone and my friend and I were the first two to get the two out of six of they had received). I just have to stop by again tomorrow morning to get my new *crosses fingers* Epic 4g Touch. Which works out great since the "new" one I purchased this morning is refusing to charge. It's been plugged in all day and it's only at 70% battery. I was really hoping to have a chance to play with this phone after having waited for months to get it in my hands. She even threw in a $25 gift card for my problems. It makes me really sad and frustrated to know these types of situations still occur. Who knows what these retailers decide to do to these seemingly "new" devices before selling them. I hope at least in this instance this employee learns his lesson and this store in particular does a better job at training their employees. This shoddy behavior is highly unprofessional and one would think a big chain like Best Buy would have better practices in place in order to prevent these situations from occurring.

All in all this wasn't the launch of a new device I was expecting to get when I walked into Best Buy this morning with my debit card in hand ready to fork over for a shiny new phone but in the end it all worked out. Now if only the morning would come sooner :]
    09-17-2011 12:26 AM
    Glad to hear it got sorted out, that sounds more on base with how it should be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    09-17-2011 01:12 AM
    LOL was there any damage to the phone? The guy probably didn't even know that phone was being sold, I am sure I have flipped people off at work, thinking it was their phone. Why not get the person in trouble who took the picture. I doubt the guy flipping off would put himself on the camera of a phone that was being sold. I think it is kinda unfair to the guy flipping off the camera. My friend did the same at work when I was taking his picture the other day.

Please dont tell me no one here has flipped a camera off where their friend is taking a picture, it happens all the time. That looks like a room, so it is not on the sales floor. I get the idea of behaving and being professional but I highly doubt the guy who was flippin off the camera knew it was going to be sold. He most likely thought it was his friends or something. Again the person who is taking the picture probably knew what was going on then the person who is on the camera.

Not advocating that this should be done, but we all know people do stupid things at work. Please dont try to teach me manners as I have done plenty of good things in my life, lol.

as far the phone goes, I agree you should be getting a new phone. As I wouldn't be comfortable with a phone being used prior to me buying it.
    09-17-2011 01:23 AM
    Yeah my thought was that the guy taking the picture was probably more at fault.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    09-17-2011 01:47 AM
    Best Buy is clearly holding its employees to high standards.

Like others have said I'd also demand the employee is fired or at least punished.
    Lets put it this way, the picture by no means was directed towards someone. Just a dude snapping a picture of fellow employee and he flipped the camera. The thing is the idiots failed to delete it. Yes the phone should have never been sold as new, that is what they should get in trouble for.

One should never take pride in getting someone fired, Trust me I saw a very good employee get fired because a customer raised hell about a silly mistake he made about not acknowleding him and he overheard him use a bad word talking to his fellow employee. Did the guy really deserve to loose his job, he had a family and kids. I dont know what the customer achieved by getting him fired.

Is this really something you should get someone fired over? just ask yourself that. Yes they should certainly not sell a phone that was open so they could mess around with it.
    09-17-2011 01:49 AM
    LOL was there any damage to the phone? The guy probably didn't even know that phone was being sold, I am sure I have flipped people off at work, thinking it was their phone. Why not get the person in trouble who took the picture. I doubt the guy flipping off would put himself on the camera of a phone that was being sold. I think it is kinda unfair to the guy flipping off the camera. My friend did the same at work when I was taking his picture the other day.

Please dont tell me no one here has flipped a camera off where their friend is taking a picture, it happens all the time. That looks like a room, so it is not on the sales floor. I get the idea of behaving and being professional but I highly doubt the guy who was flippin off the camera knew it was going to be sold. He most likely thought it was his friends or something. Again the person who is taking the picture probably knew what was going on then the person who is on the camera.

Not advocating that this should be done, but we all know people do stupid things at work. Please dont try to teach me manners as I have done plenty of good things in my life, lol.

as far the phone goes, I agree you should be getting a new phone. As I wouldn't be comfortable with a phone being used prior to me buying it.
    Yes there was damage to the phone. It would not charge. I'm the friend he "camped" out with for this phone. We could not get his to charge, where mine charged extremely fast. It was interesting to see Remii's excitement and happiness morph into a silent rage that grew slowly. When the representative handed the phone to another customer who was not Remii, I thought that Remii was going to lose it and start murdering people. It was quite an interesting sight.

I think that you were pretty lenient on them and that you settled for a $25 gift card, an apology, and a new phone. You're a better man than I bro. I would have gotten into a fist fight or I would have done something incredibly ignorant along those lines.
    09-17-2011 02:12 AM
    Lets put it this way, the picture by no means was directed towards someone. Just a dude snapping a picture of fellow employee and he flipped the camera. The thing is the idiots failed to delete it. Yes the phone should have never been sold as new, that is what they should get in trouble for.

One should never take pride in getting someone fired, Trust me I saw a very good employee get fired because a customer raised hell about a silly mistake he made about not acknowleding him and he overheard him use a bad word talking to his fellow employee. Did the guy really deserve to loose his job, he had a family and kids. I dont know what the customer achieved by getting him fired.

Is this really something you should get someone fired over? just ask yourself that. Yes they should certainly not sell a phone that was open so they could mess around with it.
    Yes. If one of my employees did this, they'd be shown the door no questions asked. You don't screw with merchandise you're going to sell, especially one worth $500. It'd be like me taking a treadmill out of the box at my job, running on it for 30 minutes, then packing it back up and selling it to someone as new. You just don't do it.

This is not a silly mistake. This is an employee doing something they clearly should not have been doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    09-17-2011 02:16 AM

Well you clearly need to be taught them if you're defending what they did. Retailers like best buy have zero tolerance for this crap (as well they should), and if this employee gets fired it's his own fault. Actions have consequences. It's a lesson that seems to be lost on many of the younger workers these days.

09-17-2011 02:19 AM
    Hey guys so I went back in the store again (This being the Tyler store in Riverside, CA) and spoke to another manager in person. I explained to her my situation and about how I've already spoken to another manager who simply dismissed the issue. She seemed much more reasonable and was seemed to grasp the severity of the situation. She apologized profusely and expressed her frustration and assured me this is not regular BestBuy behavior. She assured me the employee (who I happened to run into at the store who's name I discovered is Victor. I couldn't make out a last name sadly) would be adequately reprimanded. She guaranteed me a new phone which she would personally pick up at a sister store (seeing as how this was the only BestBuy in the district to stock the phone and my friend and I were the first two to get the two out of six of they had received). I just have to stop by again tomorrow morning to get my new *crosses fingers* Epic 4g Touch. Which works out great since the "new" one I purchased this morning is refusing to charge. It's been plugged in all day and it's only at 70% battery. I was really hoping to have a chance to play with this phone after having waited for months to get it in my hands. She even threw in a $25 gift card for my problems. It makes me really sad and frustrated to know these types of situations still occur. Who knows what these retailers decide to do to these seemingly "new" devices before selling them. I hope at least in this instance this employee learns his lesson and this store in particular does a better job at training their employees. This shoddy behavior is highly unprofessional and one would think a big chain like Best Buy would have better practices in place in order to prevent these situations from occurring.

All in all this wasn't the launch of a new device I was expecting to get when I walked into Best Buy this morning with my debit card in hand ready to fork over for a shiny new phone but in the end it all worked out. Now if only the morning would come sooner :]
    Good to hear. That's how customer service is supposed to work.

09-17-2011 02:20 AM
    Best Buy was created by business men Fry's/Microcenter was created by people who are actually passionate about electronics. I never go to Best Buy I have had so many bad experiences, and have found that the employees are uneducated on their own products, they make up words and use buzz-words to describe products.
    09-17-2011 03:20 AM
    Pretty insane. Hope the guy got fired. Not to judge abook by its cover, but how was he hired? Prison tatts and baggy pants? Really? Not who I'd gravitate towards to help me out.
    09-17-2011 03:25 AM
    Hey guys so I walked into Bestbuy today to get my Epic 4g Touch and I go to play with it as the rep finishes my paperwork and look what I find on it that Bestbuy decided to throw in as a bonus!

I was pretty upset. There was another one as well of a random Sprint fixture. Also before I even got the phone in my hand the reps were handing the phone off to each other to check it out. They didn't even know anything about it nor of its release this morning.
    Dude was that the best buy in Riverside?
    09-17-2011 03:33 AM
    Dude was that the best buy in Riverside?
    Yeah it was. The one on Tyler St.
    09-17-2011 03:36 AM
    Yeah it was. The one on Tyler St.
    Haha I was there with you man! I had my daughter with me remember?
    09-17-2011 03:38 AM
    Pretty insane. Hope the guy got fired. Not to judge abook by its cover, but how was he hired? Prison tatts and baggy pants? Really? Not who I'd gravitate towards to help me out.
    Definitely dont judge a book by its cover. The CSM at my work has a bunch of tats and is a skin head. (hes in his 40's though so he doesnt look that thugged out lol) But he is a GREAT boss. In fact I play WOW with him, his wife and son.
    09-17-2011 03:44 AM
    HAHAHA Awesome! I should have known. You were in an all Dodgers outfit.

P.S. Your daughter is adorable.
    09-17-2011 03:46 AM
    The things I hear about other bestbuy stores are just insane, never ceases to amaze me.

I hate whenever someone comes into my store and assumes I'm like that guy on the newegg commercial, just looking at tags, struggling to find differences. I would say well over 70% of the staff at my particular location actually knows their stuff(and not just in a "sales" way), are professional, and actually give a damn about their job and helping people find what they really need/want.
    /vent
    09-17-2011 04:34 AM
    Hey guys so I walked into Bestbuy today to get my Epic 4g Touch and I go to play with it as the rep finishes my paperwork and look what I find on it that Bestbuy decided to throw in as a bonus!

I was pretty upset. There was another one as well of a random Sprint fixture. Also before I even got the phone in my hand the reps were handing the phone off to each other to check it out. They didn't even know anything about it nor of its release this morning.
    dude, im pissed hearing this. i wud storm into managers office nd ask for new one, its used nd i can't take it. i payed for a brand new one !!!
    09-17-2011 07:48 AM
    I'm from Riverside too and that's the same best buy I got my phone and most of my electronics, glad to hear that everything went well.
    09-17-2011 12:01 PM
    what do they think they are, gamestop!?
    lmaooo! +11111!111!!1111!111
    09-17-2011 12:23 PM
    Maybe its just me, but i wouldnt be upset about the picture. It could have been worse. i would be more upset upon the fact that i wasnt the "original user" of the phone. Their stupidity should be the reason they should be fired. Being tech guys, common sense should have kicked in and prompted them to delete any photos taken, since they were gonna repackage it as new. Or just reformat the sd card/factory wipe.
    09-17-2011 12:30 PM
    Haha hey dodgerbluehero. Yeah I remember you. We were the first 3 to get it that morning And cachorropedorro is right your daughter is adorable. So talkative.
    09-17-2011 12:34 PM
    They would have had to get me a new phone - right there & then and that guy would have had to be reprimanded! I would've raised hell! Then leave, come home and light their store's *** up in as many blogs online as possible! That would get the word out!

It esp. stinks when reps go messing with technology that they know nothing about, just b/c it's new and they never seen it before and think that you as a customer don't know what you come in talking about. Go learn to read and learn about stuff you dumbasses!

Remii,
    Glad to know that you got things resolved in a good way and got a brand new UNOPENED unit out of it, along with the gift card!
    09-17-2011 03:44 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD