So I got my E4gT today at Bestbuy and..

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd also keep pressing them on this. The employee should be fired. No one at Best Buy should touch a "new" phone before the buyer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tom299

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This should be submitted to all the phone/tech/consumer blogs...Gizmodo, Engadget, Consumerist, etc. Very newsworthy, especially the management's lackluster response and opening up these devices and selling them as new.

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have to admit the camera quality is pretty nice lol. But yeah I spoke to their manager and he just made excuses. "When we get in new devices the techs like to open them up and explore them a bit" was his reasoning. I then asked why would there be such a vulgar photo on my phone then and he went on to say that they should have deleted it before it was sold. Awesome.

I'd be less concerned with the photo and more concerned with paying for a new in box device that was obviously opened and used.

At the very least, they owe you an open-box item discount imho.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd be less concerned with the photo and more concerned with paying for a new in box device that was obviously opened and used.

At the very least, they owe you an open-box item discount imho.

^^ that

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest name in the world phone Touch 4G

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Ummm...that picture MIGHT (really, not) be okay on a display phone. But on a brand new phone, that should have never been turned on before it was in your hands, it is totally unacceptable. Do not accept any BS about techs playing with it.

It is a funny story, but the underlying problem is that the box had been opened, powered on, used, powered off, put back in the box, and sold as a new device. Which is not okay. I would be pissed if there were grubby hands on my new phone before it was in my possession.

Once this gets big, that guy in the picture will probably lose his job. Even though it should be the guy TAKING the picture who gets in trouble.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy is clearly holding its employees to high standards.

I'd definitely be returning, getting a refund, and taking my money to a real sprint store or ANY other retailer really.

Like others have said I'd also demand the employee is fired or at least punished.

Yeah I have to admit the camera quality is pretty nice lol. But yeah I spoke to their manager and he just made excuses. "When we get in new devices the techs like to open them up and explore them a bit" was his reasoning. I then asked why would there be such a vulgar photo on my phone then and he went on to say that they should have deleted it before it was sold. Awesome.

But how is that an excuse? They're not allowed to open and play with phones then lie and say they're brand new...

Wow. Overreact much? You guys are taking this way too seriously. I wouldnt even care. Its actually pretty hilarious.

Why is it overreacting? He just either paid $600+ or $200 and a 2 year contract for a device, and that device has been opened and used/abused for who knows how long, and then sold as new. Unacceptable.

Last edited:

mellojoe

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, it isn't that big of a deal. People are trying to make a big deal out of it, probably in the hopes of getting some kind of settlement, either in the form of cash, free swag, or just publicity.

Big deal, someone took a picture with the phone. Who cares? Now, if the phone came out of the box scratched or broken, sure ... or if it came with a dildo covered in feces, yeah. But a picture of someone flipping the bird?

Not a big deal. Funny enough to post to a website, but not enough to make a spectacle over.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
So if I purchased the device for my mother. She sees's that picture and points it out. I should laugh and tell her to get over it? Why that makes perfect sense. "Mom, its not like its a dildo covered in feces. Suck it up and get over it."
FAIL

Reactions: Gator352

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So if I purchased the device for my mother. She sees's that picture and points it out. I should laugh and tell her to get over it? Why that makes perfect sense. "Mom, its not like its a dildo covered in feces. Suck it up and get over it."
FAIL

Exactly. This isn't okay.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the majority. Take this as far up the chain as possible. It's not acceptable. You should have been given a new device. Good Luck.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
The manager is an A$$. He was hoping to play it off so that you wouldn't go higher. What he did though would be the opposite. Would def take this to cotp, last thing that manager wants is a call from them about it. I used to work in retail like BB. Yes some of the techs do open some of the product. That doesn't mean we condom bad behavior. It was bad enough that a photo was taken. It was made far worse by the inappropriate gesture he made. That GM is gonna be in world of hurt now and we know that chain rolls down. He should have apologized to you given you a sealed new phone and throw in some extras for your greif. Good luck to ya and keep up the pressure.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not so much the picture, or the obscene gesture but the fact that the phone was opened and used and then sold as new. And more importantly, if you've read the entire thread, the store managers flippant response to the issue.

fstop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, it isn't that big of a deal. People are trying to make a big deal out of it, probably in the hopes of getting some kind of settlement, either in the form of cash, free swag, or just publicity.

Big deal, someone took a picture with the phone. Who cares? Now, if the phone came out of the box scratched or broken, sure ... or if it came with a dildo covered in feces, yeah. But a picture of someone flipping the bird?

Not a big deal. Funny enough to post to a website, but not enough to make a spectacle over.

It would be big deal for me. Very big deal. I expect a little more. More than someone messing with my property.

At the very least, the store should exchange the phone for a new one. I would demand to be there to open the box. And if the store manager encouraged that behavior, I would not go back to that Best Buy.

Which store was that?