09-27-2011 12:55 PM
90 ... 234
tools
    mine is good,havent had any dropped calls,slow data speeds here and there but i have noticed that the signal strength on the epic2 is better than the first epic,but not better than my motorola photon though! with that said the epic 2 is the best phone ive had in a long time,love this phone
    09-25-2011 11:42 AM
    BeachDroid don't swap it out return it then buy it again so that your days start fresh five days may not be enough time oh and you may want to make the purchase at a different store so they can't try to pull a fast one on you
    09-25-2011 12:29 PM
    BeachDroid don't swap it out return it then buy it again so that your days start fresh five days may not be enough time oh and you may want to make the purchase at a different store so they can't try to pull a fast one on you
    Interesting, I didn't even think of doing this. How do I return and buy it again when I just started a contract?

I keep looking at my phone all day today - was in Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and downtown LA. Only once did I get 4 service bars - the rest of the time I was between 0-3.

I also kept an eye on my dbm. It ranged from -76 to -101.

What is normal for dbm?
    09-25-2011 09:52 PM
    Well, maybe I'm lucky, but I'm consistently getting around 400-700kb on 3G, indoors and out, and around 2-5mb on 4G, and around 9-15mb on wifi (but that's meaningless) and also have great cell reception. Coming from the Pre-, everything signal-related is better except for some minor wifi range-loss, but its barely noticeable. I'm in Chapel Hill, NC btw.
    09-25-2011 10:11 PM
    I thought I'd add (this may be a lengthy first post on this forum) with my experience.

Right now, my Epic 4G Touch shows 3 bars of service (I've yet to see higher), and is coming in at -96 dbm. I've only had this phone for a few days, but the service (bars) is always between 1-3. Most of the time - regardless of where I am (I'm in Los Angeles) - my service is so poor that all of my data processes are off line. I can't receive/send text messages/emails, I can't browse the web, etc.

I finally called Sprint today who had me update my profile (no change in signal), and then tell me that if this issue persists to take it back to the store and get it swapped out. When I went back to the store this afternoon, the manager informed me that I should wait, as a "patch" will probably be out soon that will correct this. He then proceeded to tell me that I have 5 days left to swap the phone out, otherwise it's mine for good.

Right now, this phone is basically useless to me. Since the data never works because my 3G coverage is so poor (the Sprint rep told me that data won't work if you have 2 bars or less, I don't know if that's true but I do know I'm unable to use data most of the time on my phone) my phone is worthless to my needs. I can't use it as a nav system when I drive, since my reception stops me from using data. I can't do any web searches unless I'm on a wifi network, so when I'm with friends, out, anywhere other than at home or at a hotspot I can only make phone calls with the phone.

I came online tonight to see if this was an issue shared by others. My area supposedly has top notch 3G coverage, the phone rep told me I should be fine and should be receiving much higher signal strength in my location. Shall I go in tomorrow and swap it out for a new Epic 4G Touch and see if that makes a difference? Or should I dump my Sprint contract all together?
    It is this crappy SAMMY phone man i'm telling you,.Im waiting it out until Friday. But I am very much contemplating on letting it go back.
    09-25-2011 11:06 PM
    Epic Touch signal is Epic fail.
    EVO 4G used to get great signal, never had a dropped call, the Epic Touch 4G can't get any signal for even making a call & has to be restarted to get any signal.
    Gonna have to go back 2 HTC.
    Nor Cal, Bay Area.
    eyecon82 likes this.
    09-25-2011 11:31 PM
    Just wanted to mention that most forums that deal with Android have been BLOWN UP by the many complaints about the signal, radio, antenna (or whatever you want to call it ) issues with the phone. Sprints forum in particular has several topics about reception. Another major problem is the OS issues that are causing rapid battery drains. I know many people will fabricate the truth and claim their phone to be "perfect" but the fact of the matter is that Sprint is aware of the problems this SAMMY has and are trying to work on a fix soon. It better come soon for me though are this plastic puppy is going right back to Sprint and Im demanding the 36 fee be waved. I refuse to spend my hard earned money on a product that has this many issues.. SMH once a Sammy always a Sammy.
    09-26-2011 01:39 AM
    my phone has receptions issues that aren't any worse than the Nexus S 4G. So for people who are having issues, i feel for ya but there are multiple factors that contribute towards signal reception. And majority of the time, it can be "patched" with a software update.

Every phone on sprint that I can remember starts with signal problems: EVO 4G, EPIG 4G, NEXUS S 4G, EVO 3D, and now EPIC TOUCH.

Even some people will complain about the photon even though motorola is first known for communication devices.

so it will be all fixed. If not, or return. Pretty simple.
    09-26-2011 01:46 AM
    my phone has receptions issues that aren't any worse than the Nexus S 4G. So for people who are having issues, i feel for ya but there are multiple factors that contribute towards signal reception. And majority of the time, it can be "patched" with a software update.

Every phone on sprint that I can remember starts with signal problems: EVO 4G, EPIG 4G, NEXUS S 4G, EVO 3D, and now EPIC TOUCH.

Even some people will complain about the photon even though motorola is first known for communication devices.

I really hope this all can be fixed by a simple patch. It's also not quite that simple as we only do have a 30 day window to return (or less if you bought from other places like Wirefly)...
    09-26-2011 03:06 AM
    Epic Touch signal is Epic fail.
    EVO 4G used to get great signal, never had a dropped call, the Epic Touch 4G can't get any signal for even making a call & has to be restarted to get any signal.
    Gonna have to go back 2 HTC.
    Nor Cal, Bay Area.
    It's not that the signal reception is bad. There is a bug when it goes to sleep it can sometimes not get signal when it wakes up. The net result is the same in that you think the signal is bad, but the confidence level in getting a fix for the latter is higher. Also we don't know the circumstances that causes the problem to show up. It doesn't happen for everyone.
    09-26-2011 12:35 PM

Photon didn't have signal problems, they just had the no sound on calls problem.

Evo 3d and Evo Shift still have signal issues to this day. Evo 4G performs as expected. Nexus S appears to have had initial signal problems that got patched and likely is the pattern to expect with E4GT.
    09-26-2011 12:38 PM
    I actually feel like the EVO had slightly better cell and WIFI reception. I would easily go past my mailbox and still be connected to my home's network. Not the case anymore. Like 5 feet shorter. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.
    I feel the same way. I never had weak reception problems at my home or office with the EVO 4G or 3D but both WiFi and cell signals seem to be noticeably weaker with the GS2.

Other than that, I love this phone! It addresses every problem I had with the first gen Galaxy (charging port on the top, smaller screen). The only things I would make is moving the power button to the top and volume rockers to the right side, buy maybe that's because I'm so used to the HTC button placement.
    09-26-2011 02:33 PM
    I just posted this on the Sprint forum, thought it may prove useful here. To preface it, this is most of my story of the last week of interacting with Sprint as a new customer and the issues with my Galaxy SII 4G Touch.

=======================================

When I went to the Sprint store the first time, it was clear that the staff at the Sprint store did not want to do a phone exchange. Not only was it oddly uncomfortable to have 5 employees in the tiny store all standing around watching me discuss/argue with the manager, I was the only non-employee in the store. Posing a basic question to the manager - and this is not verbatim - "You're telling me that I should wait for a patch, but you don't know if a patch is coming in the next 8 days. If it doesn't, then I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't work. That doesn't seem like a good idea." and his response being "Well, these phones are always released with all sorts of bugs, so this is normal, I'd just wait for the patch" did not fill me with anything other than surprise, confusion, and anger. His response, from my perspective, translated to "I can't help you. The phones are always broken when we release them. Take a chance, maybe it'll get fixed, maybe it won't. Either way, I don't care." The entire thing was unpleasant.

Today I called Sprint again for assistance. While I was on the phone with them for 1 hour 18 minutes, I was put on hold, had my "network turned off and back on", and was finally escalated. The individual in who I was escalated to simply informed me that it must be a hardware issue, and I could go to a local store and do an exchange. Of course - she pointed me to the store who suggested I wait for a patch that could or could not be coming. I asked the CSR if there was any way to formally put the exchange through the system, and interestingly enough (or tellingingly - you decide), she said yes and said something to the line of "so the store manager doesn't give you any grief". If she knows this is an issue, then I worry about the quality of the Sprint store employees resolve to truly assist their customers.

Fast forward a couple of hours, I head to the store with my phone and armed with the email ticket sent by the CSR rep. When I walk in the store and tell the Sprint staff member that I need to exchange the phone due to a possible hardware issue, he was friendly enough and began to try to walk me through updating the profile and PRL. I explained I'd done this and had a ticket number - he immediately took me over to the desk and walked through the process of exchanging my phone. A few points to note.

- The employee has the Galaxy SII 4G Touch and lives in the LA area. He stated he always had 3-5 bars of service, and had never had a data issue. He showed me his phone and it was fluctuating betweeing 3-5 bars of service.
    - The Galaxy SII 4G Touch in the store as the store demo was fluctuating between 3-5 bars of service while I was there. The two times I checked it had a -87 and -96 dBm.
    - The entire time I was in the store, my own phone I was turning in was ranging between 0-3 bars, averaging at 1 bar. I did not check the dBm.
    - The new phone I was given, when originally powered up, sat at 1 bar and was showing data issues (no data connection).
    - I pointed this out to the Sprint staff member, he took the phone into the back, came out 5 minutes later and informed me he'd run "updates" and it should be fine.
    - At this point, it was fluctuating between 3-4 bars while in store. I did not check the dBm.
    - On my drive home (I live 2 miles from the store), my new phone fluctated between 1-6 bars. I checked it at multiple stop signs and lights.
    - So far at home, my new phone has been fluctuating between 1-3 bars. dBm has remainted at -96

I've to 6 more days left of my 14 to back out of this contract and phone. Tomorrow I'm going to be travelling to many of the locations I frequent in the LA/OC area. I'll be checking signal strength at all locations, and will use the GPS to navigate between three of them. If this phone and service cannot stay within the 3G/4G requirements to maintain a data plan during my entire day - the phone is going back and I'm cancelling my contract with Sprint.
    09-26-2011 10:55 PM
    I just posted this on the Sprint forum, thought it may prove useful here. To preface it, this is most of my story of the last week of interacting with Sprint as a new customer and the issues with my Galaxy SII 4G Touch.

=======================================

When I went to the Sprint store the first time, it was clear that the staff at the Sprint store did not want to do a phone exchange. Not only was it oddly uncomfortable to have 5 employees in the tiny store all standing around watching me discuss/argue with the manager, I was the only non-employee in the store. Posing a basic question to the manager - and this is not verbatim - "You're telling me that I should wait for a patch, but you don't know if a patch is coming in the next 8 days. If it doesn't, then I'm stuck with a phone that doesn't work. That doesn't seem like a good idea." and his response being "Well, these phones are always released with all sorts of bugs, so this is normal, I'd just wait for the patch" did not fill me with anything other than surprise, confusion, and anger. His response, from my perspective, translated to "I can't help you. The phones are always broken when we release them. Take a chance, maybe it'll get fixed, maybe it won't. Either way, I don't care." The entire thing was unpleasant.

Today I called Sprint again for assistance. While I was on the phone with them for 1 hour 18 minutes, I was put on hold, had my "network turned off and back on", and was finally escalated. The individual in who I was escalated to simply informed me that it must be a hardware issue, and I could go to a local store and do an exchange. Of course - she pointed me to the store who suggested I wait for a patch that could or could not be coming. I asked the CSR if there was any way to formally put the exchange through the system, and interestingly enough (or tellingingly - you decide), she said yes and said something to the line of "so the store manager doesn't give you any grief". If she knows this is an issue, then I worry about the quality of the Sprint store employees resolve to truly assist their customers.

Fast forward a couple of hours, I head to the store with my phone and armed with the email ticket sent by the CSR rep. When I walk in the store and tell the Sprint staff member that I need to exchange the phone due to a possible hardware issue, he was friendly enough and began to try to walk me through updating the profile and PRL. I explained I'd done this and had a ticket number - he immediately took me over to the desk and walked through the process of exchanging my phone. A few points to note.

- The employee has the Galaxy SII 4G Touch and lives in the LA area. He stated he always had 3-5 bars of service, and had never had a data issue. He showed me his phone and it was fluctuating betweeing 3-5 bars of service.
    - The Galaxy SII 4G Touch in the store as the store demo was fluctuating between 3-5 bars of service while I was there. The two times I checked it had a -87 and -96 dBm.
    - The entire time I was in the store, my own phone I was turning in was ranging between 0-3 bars, averaging at 1 bar. I did not check the dBm.
    - The new phone I was given, when originally powered up, sat at 1 bar and was showing data issues (no data connection).
    - I pointed this out to the Sprint staff member, he took the phone into the back, came out 5 minutes later and informed me he'd run "updates" and it should be fine.
    - At this point, it was fluctuating between 3-4 bars while in store. I did not check the dBm.
    - On my drive home (I live 2 miles from the store), my new phone fluctated between 1-6 bars. I checked it at multiple stop signs and lights.
    - So far at home, my new phone has been fluctuating between 1-3 bars. dBm has remainted at -96

I've to 6 more days left of my 14 to back out of this contract and phone. Tomorrow I'm going to be travelling to many of the locations I frequent in the LA/OC area. I'll be checking signal strength at all locations, and will use the GPS to navigate between three of them. If this phone and service cannot stay within the 3G/4G requirements to maintain a data plan during my entire day - the phone is going back and I'm cancelling my contract with Sprint.
    Did you post it in sprints official Epic Touch forum because Im not seeing it,
    Sprint Community: Space: Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    09-26-2011 11:12 PM
    Did you post it in sprints official Epic Touch forum because Im not seeing it,
    Sprint Community: Space: Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    Here you go. I had posted in the Customer Service area and not in the actual phone area. Maybe I should repost there.

Sprint Community: Told to swap phone by phone CSR, but...
    09-27-2011 12:55 PM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD