Sooo...How's the signal strength?

energy177

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Evo -98 to -101 dBM Epic touch -103 dBm to -106 dBm and Disconnecting :( REally love this phone but its a useless paperweight at my workplace with this signal. Im getting 120ms 600kb download 68kb Upload on evo and 700ms 120kb downlooad and 23kb Upload, on this weak signal.. It Does change though once im in a good tower range, the Epic comes out ahead.

thanks for the info. any more comparisons from anybody? still trying to figure this one out and get more data before I switch from the photon to the sII

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There are repeaters installed in the sprint stores that is not the best place to be testing out signals

did I ever say I did it at sprint store. It was done at home in the same location when I had the photon and then th sgs2. I just moved and in the new location th signal is not all that good but it is decent. My dad drops calls downstairs in one particular spot sitting on his evo 3d my epic is yet to do that.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust signal bars. I feel like different companies and different ROMS have their own formulas as to what makes 1, 2, 3 etc. bars. That being said, the signal strength shows about the same -86 dBm that my old EVO 4G had in my room. My girlfriend has that phone now so maybe I'll do some random comparisons when I can.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I put the phone to the first test today I gabe my long drive through the mountains were I lost signal with my blackberry for about 75% of the 500 mile round trip drive. With the galaxy I lost signal for only about 20 miles
I'm extremely happy with the reception of this phone now if I could get it to connect to my wifi.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Reception is one of my biggest concerns. My moPho slaughters any sprint phone I have owned in this department but I also am considering buying the SGSII if the reception is "as good" or "better" than the moPho. It just seems the moPho was a beta unit for the bionic and is buggier than a bug farm and I don't appreciate participating in a game I never wanted to play.

I have taken my MoPho back for the SGS2 and trust me the signal performance doesn't come close. The 3g connection is horrid.. Its taking in excess of 30 seconds to connect to a tower.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
My EVO 4G was much better. My wife still has her white one and side by side in the same house the EVO radio for both wifi and phone is much better than the sammy. At least I have 14 days to decide..:(
-Bobby

Bmwillz

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Its pretty bad. Considering being it back if not fixed sooner than later. Used to receive strong signals now 4g
Goes out and 3g is subpar. Plus wifi refuses to connect
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to the sprint store to look at the E4GT and did some data tests. The signal bars looked the same but during my 4g test:

My nexus S 4g ran at 5-6Mbps while the E4GT ran at 2.5 to 2.8Mbps. The numbers were always half, i even used speakeasy speed test.

Lol and before I was complaining about NS4G radios. NEVER AGAIN!!!

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I went to the sprint store to look at the E4GT and did some data tests. The signal bars looked the same but during my 4g test:

My nexus S 4g ran at 5-6Mbps while the E4GT ran at 2.5 to 2.8Mbps. The numbers were always half, i even used speakeasy speed test.

Lol and before I was complaining about NS4G radios. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Well remember that 2.3.5 brought wimax signal improvements while the epic touch is still only on 2.3.4 and if I'm not mistaken uses the same wimax chip. I have gotten as high as 12.44 down on wimax though.

BeachDroid

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought I'd add (this may be a lengthy first post on this forum) with my experience.

Right now, my Epic 4G Touch shows 3 bars of service (I've yet to see higher), and is coming in at -96 dbm. I've only had this phone for a few days, but the service (bars) is always between 1-3. Most of the time - regardless of where I am (I'm in Los Angeles) - my service is so poor that all of my data processes are off line. I can't receive/send text messages/emails, I can't browse the web, etc.

I finally called Sprint today who had me update my profile (no change in signal), and then tell me that if this issue persists to take it back to the store and get it swapped out. When I went back to the store this afternoon, the manager informed me that I should wait, as a "patch" will probably be out soon that will correct this. He then proceeded to tell me that I have 5 days left to swap the phone out, otherwise it's mine for good.

Right now, this phone is basically useless to me. Since the data never works because my 3G coverage is so poor (the Sprint rep told me that data won't work if you have 2 bars or less, I don't know if that's true but I do know I'm unable to use data most of the time on my phone) my phone is worthless to my needs. I can't use it as a nav system when I drive, since my reception stops me from using data. I can't do any web searches unless I'm on a wifi network, so when I'm with friends, out, anywhere other than at home or at a hotspot I can only make phone calls with the phone.

I came online tonight to see if this was an issue shared by others. My area supposedly has top notch 3G coverage, the phone rep told me I should be fine and should be receiving much higher signal strength in my location. Shall I go in tomorrow and swap it out for a new Epic 4G Touch and see if that makes a difference? Or should I dump my Sprint contract all together?

mechanismclear

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
mine is good,havent had any dropped calls,slow data speeds here and there but i have noticed that the signal strength on the epic2 is better than the first epic,but not better than my motorola photon though! with that said the epic 2 is the best phone ive had in a long time,love this phone:D

Sean-Troy

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
BeachDroid don't swap it out return it then buy it again so that your days start fresh five days may not be enough time oh and you may want to make the purchase at a different store so they can't try to pull a fast one on you

BeachDroid

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
BeachDroid don't swap it out return it then buy it again so that your days start fresh five days may not be enough time oh and you may want to make the purchase at a different store so they can't try to pull a fast one on you

Interesting, I didn't even think of doing this. How do I return and buy it again when I just started a contract?

I keep looking at my phone all day today - was in Santa Monica, Venice, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and downtown LA. Only once did I get 4 service bars - the rest of the time I was between 0-3.

I also kept an eye on my dbm. It ranged from -76 to -101.

What is normal for dbm?

MediaMonkey

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, maybe I'm lucky, but I'm consistently getting around 400-700kb on 3G, indoors and out, and around 2-5mb on 4G, and around 9-15mb on wifi (but that's meaningless) and also have great cell reception. Coming from the Pre-, everything signal-related is better except for some minor wifi range-loss, but its barely noticeable. I'm in Chapel Hill, NC btw.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd add (this may be a lengthy first post on this forum) with my experience.

Right now, my Epic 4G Touch shows 3 bars of service (I've yet to see higher), and is coming in at -96 dbm. I've only had this phone for a few days, but the service (bars) is always between 1-3. Most of the time - regardless of where I am (I'm in Los Angeles) - my service is so poor that all of my data processes are off line. I can't receive/send text messages/emails, I can't browse the web, etc.

I finally called Sprint today who had me update my profile (no change in signal), and then tell me that if this issue persists to take it back to the store and get it swapped out. When I went back to the store this afternoon, the manager informed me that I should wait, as a "patch" will probably be out soon that will correct this. He then proceeded to tell me that I have 5 days left to swap the phone out, otherwise it's mine for good.

Right now, this phone is basically useless to me. Since the data never works because my 3G coverage is so poor (the Sprint rep told me that data won't work if you have 2 bars or less, I don't know if that's true but I do know I'm unable to use data most of the time on my phone) my phone is worthless to my needs. I can't use it as a nav system when I drive, since my reception stops me from using data. I can't do any web searches unless I'm on a wifi network, so when I'm with friends, out, anywhere other than at home or at a hotspot I can only make phone calls with the phone.

I came online tonight to see if this was an issue shared by others. My area supposedly has top notch 3G coverage, the phone rep told me I should be fine and should be receiving much higher signal strength in my location. Shall I go in tomorrow and swap it out for a new Epic 4G Touch and see if that makes a difference? Or should I dump my Sprint contract all together?

It is this crappy SAMMY phone man i'm telling you,.Im waiting it out until Friday. But I am very much contemplating on letting it go back.