09-27-2011 12:55 PM
90 123 ...
tools
    So how is the signal vs whatever phone you've had previously? This is one of the factors that has me holding off on purchasing (that and I love webOS).

We just got the s2 to replace my gf's 3D, I'll get more of a chance to play with it tom and see how it does vs the 3d and vs my pre. My pre had consistently better signal than the 3d.
    09-16-2011 08:35 PM
    I'm not familiar with sprints service as I was on Verizon but so far it has been pretty good. It has dropped off a couple times on me but came right back up for data but I'm not sure if it is the service or the phone. Call quality is outstanding and I have had no issues with phone calls yet.
    09-16-2011 08:57 PM
    So how is the signal vs whatever phone you've had previously? This is one of the factors that has me holding off on purchasing (that and I love webOS).

We just got the s2 to replace my gf's 3D, I'll get more of a chance to play with it tom and see how it does vs the 3d and vs my pre. My pre had consistently better signal than the 3d.
    EGS2 Radio is Better then my EVO 4G and EVO 3D
    Radio is rock solid Samsung & Sprint finally got it right
    milominderbinde likes this.
    09-16-2011 08:58 PM
    Average so far. Its right there with my old Palm Pre. If bars are any indication though my Photon got stronger 3G reception.

I can't comment on 4G since its not available in my area (except for select areas)
    09-16-2011 09:00 PM
    No issuses so far. I read on a forum (don't remember if it was this one) that it uses the same radio as the Nexus S. That worried me because I had the Nexus for about 2 weeks and had horrible reception, both phone and wifi. I couldn't even connect to my wifi in certain rooms in my apartment. Not the case with the Epic Touch. Strong signal everywhere so far and call quality is outstanding.
    09-16-2011 09:00 PM
    I had a blackberry bold 9650. The reception on my gs2 is better than what I had on it. Much better!
    09-16-2011 09:01 PM
    And zero problems with wifi, bluetooth, and gps. All are working exceptional!
    09-16-2011 09:02 PM
    It looks to be about the same as my Pre- where I live, just outside of Houston.
    Wifi is also fine so far, a little less than what I get on my laptop, but not a problem.

Aww. Sad moment. I've been charging my ET with my Pre USB cord, and my Pre just bonged to let me know it needed some juice too. Poor little Pre.

So far, versus Pre, I love how fast web pages load (even over Wifi Pre is slow to render). The touchscreen works far better than the Pre's -- no lag when scrolling, or need to press buttons twice to make sure they're working. I love having Skype and Netflix available. And I love the look of the screen -- just gorgeous.

On the negative side, I hate how long this thing is taking to charge, though the battery life is far better than the Pre once it is charged. That's a tradeoff I can live with. What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.

I've said more on the negative side here, because it is specific to the transition from the Pre, which you asked about, and also because there's already excellent coverage of the positives of this phone. Don't get me wrong though -- I love the ET, and there's not a question in my mind of taking it back.

If you have more questions from a Pre perspective, just ask.
    kimdushinski likes this.
    09-16-2011 09:24 PM
    Phone and data are strong and BT works fine with my BT Speakerphone in the car. Currently using the hotspot as we're staying at a house on the beach while I do some migrating bird photography and everything is working just dandy.
    09-16-2011 09:25 PM
    I actually feel like the EVO had slightly better cell and WIFI reception. I would easily go past my mailbox and still be connected to my home's network. Not the case anymore. Like 5 feet shorter. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.
    aog3 likes this.
    09-16-2011 11:02 PM
    I actually think the reception is worse than the evo 4g...my sister still has a blackberry tour, and she has 3/5 while I have 1/5 bars..wtf...data has been flaky too
    09-16-2011 11:25 PM
    I came from a nexus a 4g and it is way better for me

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    09-16-2011 11:27 PM
    It looks to be about the same as my Pre- where I live, just outside of Houston.
    Wifi is also fine so far, a little less than what I get on my laptop, but not a problem.

Aww. Sad moment. I've been charging my ET with my Pre USB cord, and my Pre just bonged to let me know it needed some juice too. Poor little Pre.

So far, versus Pre, I love how fast web pages load (even over Wifi Pre is slow to render). The touchscreen works far better than the Pre's -- no lag when scrolling, or need to press buttons twice to make sure they're working. I love having Skype and Netflix available. And I love the look of the screen -- just gorgeous.

On the negative side, I hate how long this thing is taking to charge, though the battery life is far better than the Pre once it is charged. That's a tradeoff I can live with. What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.

I've said more on the negative side here, because it is specific to the transition from the Pre, which you asked about, and also because there's already excellent coverage of the positives of this phone. Don't get me wrong though -- I love the ET, and there's not a question in my mind of taking it back.
    If you have more questions from a Pre perspective, just ask.
    Yeah I couldn't do the Samsung keyboard either once it started throwing its own words in there. I downloaded the stock android 2.3 keyboard from the market after only a few hours.
    09-16-2011 11:28 PM
    NOT SO GOOD!!!
    The Galaxy was switching between no bars and roaming while I was at my sister's house. Try to make a call and it was choppy and drops. My EVO 4g and Photon never roam while in her house. The Photon made crystal clear calls while there. All Profile and PRL were updated. 4g seems to work fine though.
    09-16-2011 11:30 PM
    EGS2 Radio is Better then my EVO 4G and EVO 3D
    Radio is rock solid Samsung & Sprint finally got it right
    This.

I too had the HTC EVO 4G and I have to say that the radios used on the Galaxy S2 Epic 4G are far superior. I've done numerous speed tests throughout the day, and I can say with confidence that yy 3G speeds are 25% faster than what I've seen on my EVO.

In terms of the number of bars, it's the same as it was on my EVO.

Wifi radio is great... Especially when you have Wireless N. I've been able to break 30Mbps which is basically my internet's max speed.
    09-16-2011 11:35 PM
    So what is the deal, how can some people think the signal is really bad and others think it is very good?

Are there different batches/builds, different factories, or do they just have very inconsistent quality?
    09-17-2011 01:04 AM
    So what is the deal, how can some people think the signal is really bad and others think it is very good?

Are there different batches/builds, different factories, or do they just have very inconsistent quality?
    Actually, it's depend on where you live. 4G Coverage and Speeds in USA and the world. If you live in small town, it may be pretty low signal. If big cities, could be high signal or average either. I live near Boston, my signal strength is pretty high which is good thing to me ALWAYS!
    09-17-2011 01:09 AM

PRL maybe......
    A couple XDA members posted that they speed tested with low wifi bars and it was hot fast so I'm thinking it may be cosmetic for some.
    The charger scrolling bug seems to effect some and not others.
    09-17-2011 01:10 AM
    I actually feel like the EVO had slightly better cell and WIFI reception. I would easily go past my mailbox and still be connected to my home's network. Not the case anymore. Like 5 feet shorter. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.
    I can confirm that wifi works 5 feet shorter from your mailbox. You need to mow your lawn btw....
    jiris likes this.
    09-17-2011 01:11 AM
    No problems of any kind here in Seattle area. I've been playing with it all day now. Also, call quality is awesome.
    09-17-2011 01:13 AM
    had the photon 4g, with sgs2 I get the exact same reception at work and at home with SGS2.

if you are still on the fence about this, then you are making me mad by not jumping on the phone already.
    09-17-2011 01:19 AM
    Actually, it's depend on where you live. 4G Coverage and Speeds in USA and the world. If you live in small town, it may be pretty low signal. If big cities, could be high signal or average either. I live near Boston, my signal strength is pretty high which is good thing to me ALWAYS!
    Not referring to why a signal can be strong or weak in general. I'm also specifically talking about 3g.

You have some people saying
    1) E4GT has much better signal than Evo 3D
    2) E4GT has much worse signal than Evo 3D

I imagine for each individual doing side-by-side comparisons with the other phone, all signal related issues are identical for both phones.
    09-17-2011 02:26 AM
    PRL maybe......
    A couple XDA members posted that they speed tested with low wifi bars and it was hot fast so I'm thinking it may be cosmetic for some.
    The charger scrolling bug seems to effect some and not others.
    PRL is unlikely to affect Sprint signal because the Sprint native portions haven't changed in ages. If you were roaming, then those change much more often and could be affected by PRL.
    09-17-2011 02:29 AM
    What I REALLY hate is the onscreen keyboard. I was trying to fill in a text field that was at the bottom of a web page, and the onscreen keyboard sat itself on top so there was no way to see what I was typing. And it keeps trying to change things like usernames into words. Grrr! Hopefully some of that is a "user education" issue. I am used to typing one-handed on the Pre. I'll have to see if I can still do that with the ET. The level of accuracy required for an on-screen keyboard is much higher because you can't feel your way along to the right key.
    I didn't care for the Samsung keyboard at all either - thought it was odd the Epic Touch was setup to use SWYPE by default, that really drove me nuts until i realized it ws activated, ha

Then the normal Samsung keyboard i didn't like either (I have been running the stocgingerbreadad and Froyo keyboards, via Cyanogenmod on an orig Droid for some time now) - so I installed otheeh Epic Touch thGingerbreadad Stock keyboard from the Market - setup my worpredictionon settings and all is very nice!

Keyboard from Android 2.3 - from the Market , it is free
    09-17-2011 03:03 AM
    I bought my wife and I Epic Touch 4G's today and while we really like them (I bought a Bionic one week ago that's going back no matter what but I'm not sure if we are sticking with Sprint though we REALLY want to keep the Epic Touch's).

The phone is great - even the speaker is great for podcasts which is important for me (the Bionic better for music but for speech the Epic T is louder) and the camera is very good (while the Bionic's is horrible indoors and ok outdoors, video is different but very good on each).

Anyway, the issue with our new phones - we get 1 to 2 bars and the speeds are for the most part pretty pitiful especially upload which is around 64kbps , download is sometimes up to 500 usually the 300 range - sdon'to'nt know if theranythingting that can be done - apparently updating PRL has no effect - is there anything we can do?

Via the Sprint coverage map, we are in the 2nd from the best area ("goodcoverageseraage and "on Network' for 3G , no Wimax) .

At the store which is a few miles away ,i noticed all of the phones seemed slowcouldn'toculdn't just like ours most of the timeyou-tube youtube video in HQ mode playing (that plays wellBionic Binonic 3G and my previous orig Droid and Wife's Eris).

So is sprint just really slow for 3G - the under 100 kbps avg for upload and around 300 - 500 kbps upload?

For the Bionic i constantly get 1,500 - 1800 kbps down and at lewhich00 up, hiwhc is a bit faster than on my Droid original but still the Droid was much faster than the Sprint Epic Touch when it comes to Speedtest.net app tests as well as the Speakeasy test within the browser and itbenchmarksust benmarks making our new Sprint phones seem slow, download an app - even a 2 - prettyapp is prett slow , crazy slow really....

I'm going out of town for work soon so i don't have much time to try out the Epic and may have to return it today after only 2I'mrs so that i'm sure it's returned within the new shorter return period - but i don't want to rewith it - but wiI'mthe speeds i'm getting at home,if can use wi-fi (the phone flies!) at home but i don't want to end up I'mre anytime i'm out somewhere , i have to waiyou-tubeer for youtube videos to load and then they don't even play without stuttering / buffering constantly and just dealing with reaaccesslow data acess - this is kinda crazy,i know VZW is supposed to have a great network but i wouldn't expect for Sprint to be this slow, i just must be in a slow area and maybe there's some sort of update to perform on my phone? employeesrint employyes had no idea on how to activate the phone or any tips, they were super newbies - just as we are with Sprint's network but other than a PRL update what else can we do, plus apparently it seems that the PRL sprint codes do not even change that often , so an update won't have any effect.

I'm just hoping thahavingehow after havin the phone, it will work better, desperate!

As if i can't get respectable speeds, I'll have to return the Verizon and keep Verizono and I really , really want a Samsung G SII variation and though the screen is large on the Epic T, it's nearlythee same size as teh Bionic and lighter / screenr, guessall scfeen.

I ugess i could wait for withzon to come out wiht a G SII type phone, hope it has a LOUD speaker such as the Epic Touch (the Droid Charge has a super low speaker as does to me the Nexus S) and a 4.5" screen! But I don't want to wait , please i hope there's a way to get a speed network increase with the Epic Touch.....

thanks for any ideas / info
    09-17-2011 03:29 AM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD