I have never used anything like this it is so nice! No desktop app needed. Just make a bookmark and boom you can be up and running fast. Last night i was typing out text messages to 3 people and organizing the pictures that are on my E4GT all on my MBAir through Kies Air.

Such a nice feature. Now if i could only remotely turn it on. For when i leave my phone up stairs.

The reason I posted this is this is one of those apps/features that I haven't heard much about and I probably would have never bothered checking out except Mickey talked highly of it in his E4GT review at TCPJ. So maybe some of you are like me.
    09-17-2011 01:11 PM
    I gave it a ganders last night for a little bit. It is really awesome. I like the ability to transfer files without even physically connecting the phone to the PC. Lot of possibilities.
    09-17-2011 01:14 PM
    Does anyone know what kind of throughput you get with Kies Air? I currently use WebSharing for wifi transfers, and my OG Galaxy Tab gets 30-35 mbps. But it won't transfer files over 2GB in size even though the OS limit is 4GB.
    09-17-2011 01:18 PM
    I like the ability to transfer files without even physically connecting the phone to the PC. Lot of possibilities.
    I havent played with this yet and didnt know you could do this. Nice!
    09-17-2011 02:23 PM
    I'm glad you posted this otherwise I never would have used this..
    09-17-2011 04:05 PM
    is it faster than the Photon Phone Portal?? I tried to do about 600 pictures and it said it was going to take over 2 hours... uh no thanks, Ill connect through USB
    09-17-2011 05:04 PM
    I agree, very cool feature.
    09-17-2011 05:17 PM
    Amazing feature. Really enjoying not having to break down my charger, plug it in, then go back and plug into my charger again.

Sure, not a huge thing, but enough to make me wonder why this didn't come along sooner! Love it!
    09-17-2011 05:32 PM
    I probably would have never bothered checking out except Mickey talked highly of it in his E4GT review at TCPJ. So maybe some of you are like me.
    Ha! I didn't know he got one
    09-17-2011 09:53 PM
    Hi guys,

I should receiving my S2 Monday if UPS doesn't mess up!

I am in need of sync'ng my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes from Outlook, I had used Pocketmirror in WebOS but alas they don't have a version for Android.

I read that this Kies will do Contacts and Calendar, but I'm not sure if the new version will do Tasks and Notes.

Since you guys are playing around with Kiers can you let me know if it will do the Notes and Tasks?

Thanks!

And yes, it's a great thing not to have to hook up the phone with a wire to be able to access it. I was hoping I wasn't going to loose that function. This is great!

Rob
    09-18-2011 12:00 AM
    I agree. It is awesome if you just want to grab a few pics off your camera real quick or whatever.

The only issue i have is that i downloaded Tap Tap Revenge, and i guess it downloaded all of the pics and stuff for the buttons and backgrouds for the game...and all of those show up in my "Photos" tab...where on the phone, those pics are not included in the gallery.

Anyone know if there is a way to change that? Move the pics? Plug the phone in and make them hidden? Iunno
    09-19-2011 07:35 PM
    Go into the game folder and create a new folder named .nomedia to exclude the pics, vids, and music files from showing up as such.

BTW, if you are able to use Windows remote desktop or any sort of desktop control software, you can use that to control the browser on the PC side for a totally mobile experience.
    Riboflavin likes this.
    09-20-2011 08:38 AM
    After reading this post, I decided to play w/ Kies Air a bit. I agree that's it's pretty awesome. I knew you could access the phone, but I didn't realize I could play a video I'd recorded to my phone directly on my laptop w/o even transferring it. You can also read text messages and access pretty much everything, whether you chose to transfer the files or not.

I wonder if this will work with Google TV? If so, you could view things wirelessly through your TV w/o needing the HDMI adapter. Quality probably wouldn't be the same, but still...
    09-20-2011 10:03 AM
    I finally got around to playing with this, and I have to agree, it's just plain awesome. I actually can't believe how well it works and how much you can do with it. Color me impressed.
    10-03-2011 07:30 PM
    Throw me on the bandwagon too. I actually tried Kies when I first got the phone not really knowing what to expect, but it turned out to be such a powerful, useful program. The file transferring and management is easy and seamless and for it to all be done wirelessly is just flat out awesome. I can't recommend Kies enough to anyone with a GSII.
    10-05-2011 12:28 AM
    What you really want to do is sync outlook to Gmail. That will take care of your email, contacts, calendar at least. Tasks could be trickier. Then Gmail will automatically sync all of that to your phone. There are several utilities out there that do that.

I personally switched from outlook to Thunderbird a while ago. It is free and there are plugins to sync contacts and calendar and email comes through great.

Hi guys,

I should receiving my S2 Monday if UPS doesn't mess up!

I am in need of sync'ng my Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes from Outlook, I had used Pocketmirror in WebOS but alas they don't have a version for Android.

I read that this Kies will do Contacts and Calendar, but I'm not sure if the new version will do Tasks and Notes.

Since you guys are playing around with Kiers can you let me know if it will do the Notes and Tasks?

Thanks!

And yes, it's a great thing not to have to hook up the phone with a wire to be able to access it. I was hoping I wasn't going to loose that function. This is great!

Rob
    10-05-2011 10:03 AM
    I have no idea what Kies Air is. What does it do? and why would I want to use it?
    10-05-2011 12:42 PM
    I have no idea what Kies Air is. What does it do? and why would I want to use it?
    It's a built-in app that allows you to access everything on your phone from your computer - wirelessly. You just type in your phone's ip address (shown in Kies Air app) in a web browser and you can view pics, videos, texts, emails, etc. You can transfer any files and do pretty much anything you can do on your phone from your PC.

Works very well (as long as you're connected to the same WiFi network at the computer).
    10-05-2011 12:47 PM
    Oh awesome! That'd be great if I had a laptop still...LOL
    10-05-2011 01:11 PM
    Hi guys,

Also, download the desktop version of Kies, it has much more functions than the app supplied on the phone.

For example, it provides a way to backup the phone, upgrade the firmware and a bunch of other stuff not found in the web version that is supplied on the phone.

Here is link to download the software:

Support for Samsung Galaxy S II

Oh, make sure you click on the 'Sofware' tab, when the page comes up, its set to download the manuals, but just click on the 'Software' tab to download the software.

Rob
    10-07-2011 06:57 PM
    I guess I am more underwhelmed than most people from Kies. The interface to transfer files is clunky, which I guess what you would expect from a browser app.

I can listen/read vm or sms using google voice on my PC. I can look at pictures or videos through Windows Explorer much quicker and easier than with Kies (wired or wirelessly with Swiftp),

I think it is more of a novelty than anything else.
    10-08-2011 11:14 AM
    I'd give it a spin but I have an Asus product. I'm looking for a solid way to transfer files, big and small, between my tablet and my PC within my home network. Websharing nearly gets it right but you can't upload folders, which I need. Out of curiosity: can you upload folders to the mobile device using Kies?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    10-08-2011 02:00 PM
    I'm still using Websharing from the Market for wireless file transfers. Kies Air takes too long to initialize.
    10-08-2011 02:02 PM
    When I try to download pictures or videos to my computer it keeps wanting me to download java even though it's already installed. Over and over. Any ideas?
    10-08-2011 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD