USB OTG?

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Has anyone gotten USB OTG working with Sprint's GSII? I'm wondering if it's my super-cheap adapter that's not working, or if the feature didn't make it to the Sprint version. Insight is appreciated!

RamboDroid

A|C Fanboy
Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I got it to pare to a blue tooth mouse and keyboard...cool seeing that cursor pop up.... I know it's no usb but it's something positive.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm very curious too. I was thinking of getting one of those cheap host cables as well to connect to USB drives or SD/CF card readers. I might order it anyway to try it, but so far no one's had any luck?

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Good luck! But be forewarned that the Amazon description is almost certainly referring to the international version.

(Mine also said it's compatible with the GS2.)

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Very true, but I can't imagine why Samsung would change anything about the microUSB port or drivers or anything for the US versions. Of all the changes it seems like they've been enhancements, have any of the changes taken away any features?

kugreg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Ordered one myself, no luck on the Epic GS2, sorry folks, this myth looks busted. Might have to wait for a kernel hack to get this feature. :'(

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered one too but haven't gotten it yet. Darn it sucks if it doesn't work...
Remember that first unboxing video we saw? That guy got an HDMI adapter in his box... so why would Samsung include it for the reviewers if the feature doesn't work? Or maybe you just have to buy the Samsung branded one in order for it to work? Either way it sucks!

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Just an update, received my OTG host cable and tried it with a USB wireless mouse and a USB thumb drive and no luck. I'm thinking I either got a defective unit or the OTG host feature doesn't exist or was disabled. :(

Not completely related but I had also previously bought the HDMI MHL adapter and that worked perfectly so we do know that feature remained from the intl version.

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and/or Samsung disabled it on Epic 4g Touch. Hoping development community will fix it. I can't believe they disable such an important function....

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So it really was disabled huh? That really sucks. But it's just software right? The hardware capability still exists doesn't it? Yeah, hopefully they'll decide to bring the function back in a future upgrade...

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have used two USB Host cables that work with the international SGS2 and it does not work. The Samsung Website clearly states that UBS Host does work.
USB Host

Attaching USB Devices to the Epic 4G Touch: With the optional USB adapter, you can connect devices such as keyboards, mice and thumb drives to the Epic 4G Touch. High-powered devices and charging another device from the Epic 4G Touch’s port are not supported.
Here are more details on how it works on the itnernational version from the 25 Reasons to Consider the Epic 4G Touch:
It's a Good Host
The Epic 4G Touch adds USB Host that allows you to plug in a USB memory stick, mouse, or keyboard into a micro USB Host adapter as shown in these videos at xda-developers.
We should all call Sprint *2 or Sprint Retention (877)775-4886 to complain that a promised feature is missing.

Better yet call Samsung at (888)987-4357. If you try to use the menus from your Epic 4G touch, they won't work, so you might want to tell them about that too.

Last edited:

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain what an USB OTG means and what it is used for?

I'm not familiar with the term OTG!

Thanks

Rob

PS I did purchase 2 MHL HDMI Connectors one direct from Samsung ($40) and the other from monoprice ($15). Both work like they should.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Basically it means you can connect usb thumbdrive, usb keyboard, mouse, as well as powered hard disk drive that is fat32 formatted. It makes the SG2S acts like a computer instead of a phone. Imagine being able to pull movie out of your 500 GB hard drive when you are traveling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1