10-05-2011 01:30 PM
31 12
tools
    That's the case I'm going to use once my phone arrives. I'll update you guys once I get it.
    09-20-2011 04:02 PM
    That would probably work great, particularly for the external mod like Honis did. I'm not a case person -- I've never used a case or screen protector. Just a preference thing.

-darren
    09-20-2011 11:39 PM
    That doesn't make much sense to me.
    And you're probably right. After testing some more today, it appears clear that the digitizer weirdness goes away completely when I plug in an audio patch cable to the headphone jack. Since that's how I use the phone in my car, the problem is pretty effectively fixed for me, even though I have no idea what causes the fix. :-)

I've been thinking about the metal stubs/magnets and what you've been saying about them. The ones I'm using were from a well used back so it's possible they were magnetized from use.
    That's possible. The ones in that video you linked to flipped out of his hand and stuck to the phone strongly enough to hold the induction coil in place (!!), so there might be different types too.

While the internal mod is the most functional design (IMHO :-) ), I like the idea of an external slip-on case mod that doesn't void the warranty for users wanting to add easy touchstone charging. I wish the USB cable protrusion was nearly flush when inserted though, and it would also be nice to have USB pass-through to a female port somewhere else on the case. Someone call Quirky... :-)

-darren
    09-20-2011 11:56 PM
    While the internal mod is the most functional design (IMHO :-) ), I like the idea of an external slip-on case mod that doesn't void the warranty for users wanting to add easy touchstone charging. I wish the USB cable protrusion was nearly flush when inserted though, and it would also be nice to have USB pass-through to a female port somewhere else on the case. Someone call Quirky... :-)

-darren
    Well, if the mod worked I would have moved on to yours when my warranty ran out. Now I'll just have to wait for the ultimate(ly expensive) charging dock for it.

09-21-2011 07:38 PM
    I identified the fix for the digitizer issue, but I haven't devised a good way to implement it yet. If the ground plane of the phone is grounded to something bigger (your body, a car, etc) the problem goes away. The ground created by the inductive charging circuit is making the phone unhappy.

While I'm looking at ways to handle this, my current favorite requires a mod to the touchstone charging base and I don't really want to go there -- particularly since my phone is hooked to my car stereo most of the time so it's grounded and doesn't exhibit the problem. I think I'll wait to see if the users who are experiencing the same problem from the stock AC charger find an elegant solution.

BTW: I think I scared off some folks with my external charging coil placement, so just for grins I changed that part of the mod and put the coil and studs inside the back. It works pretty well and I confess it does preserve more of the phone's sexiness. I'll update my post in the E4GT Hacks sub-forum shortly.

rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-04-2011 11:41 PM
    I identified the fix for the digitizer issue, but I haven't devised a good way to implement it yet. If the ground plane of the phone is grounded to something bigger (your body, a car, etc) the problem goes away. The ground created by the inductive charging circuit is making the phone unhappy.

While I'm looking at ways to handle this, my current favorite requires a mod to the touchstone charging base and I don't really want to go there -- particularly since my phone is hooked to my car stereo most of the time so it's grounded and doesn't exhibit the problem. I think I'll wait to see if the users who are experiencing the same problem from the stock AC charger find an elegant solution.

BTW: I think I scared off some folks with my external charging coil placement, so just for grins I changed that part of the mod and put the coil and studs inside the back. It works pretty well and I confess it does preserve more of the phone's sexiness. I'll update my post in the E4GT Hacks sub-forum shortly.

Click to view quoted image
    I just read your post in the AC Adapter Problem thread.

I still have my stuff setup. Based on your observations I suspect there is noise coming in from the coil causing the issue. I have an oscilloscope laying around I can use. If there is some noise, building a filter should be easy.
    10-05-2011 01:30 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD