10-11-2011 10:55 AM
124 1234 ...
tools
    I went from a Pre to the first Epic and now this. I can tell you that once I got use to Swype I almost never ever used the physical keyboard. Make sure haptic feedback is turned up.
    Also check out "Wave Launcher" app from the market. And "No Lock" too.
    kimdushinski likes this.
    09-18-2011 08:06 PM
    Launch day Pre user here. I have my Epic touch ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet. Looking forward to it, my poor old Pre is just about worn out.

Dr.
    09-18-2011 08:46 PM
    Thank you all for posting your thoughts. I am a launch day Pre girl and while I have decided to move on to Android, I just can't seem to make the leap.

My biggest block is the lack of physical keyboard. How bad is it, really? I am considering going with the Epic 4G just to keep a keyboard, but I understand it is actually on its way out of the lineup and I don't want to have my new phone already be old. LOL

Oh, and does it strike any of you as ironic that we are going from one of the shortest named phones to the longest? Seriously, what are we calling this thing?
    The keyboard is so freaking big and the processor is so fast that once you get used to it you will be flying while tapping really light. I went from samsung instinct to launch day pre to this phone. I was just hanging with Iphone4 users and they started to heckle me and soon it turned into. Woah man that is ridiculous. I had a "your phone is old and slower than mine" moment with them lol.
    kimdushinski likes this.
    09-18-2011 09:45 PM
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I guess a month from now we can see how we have adjusted. I really love this phone. I love how light it is but the build is solid. Even with a case it is thin enough for my pocket. Next step is to HDMI this thing with the PS2 emulator and hook it up to my tv with the bluetooth controller. Check this out! Plus you can plug in a mouse and keyboard and a mouse icon comes up. How sick is that
    09-18-2011 09:48 PM
    I just ordered 5 of these phones to replace 5 day 1 Pre - phones on the family account. Waited around for some iphone news, but decided to pull the trigger with the letstalk deal.

RIP webos/palm, but **** HP.
    09-18-2011 10:37 PM
    Still using my Pre+ but will be ditching it in January as it has no future. Haven't yet decided on an Android but am seriously considering it. My daughter has the Droid 2 and the physical keyboard is great.
    09-18-2011 10:43 PM
    Thanks everyone for your feedback about the keyboard. I guess the only way to find out if I will learn to be OK without one or even love it is to dive in.
    09-18-2011 10:54 PM
    Yeah, that's the best way to find out. I'm only on day 2 now and I'm still trying to get used to the virtual keyboard, but so far I haven't had any big issues.
    09-18-2011 11:29 PM
    I too was a Pre- user from day 1. I am happy to report that the tech advances on this Galaxy S2 make the upgrade easy.

For all of you struggling with the virtual keyboard, check out the "Mike or Microphone" icon available whenever you need to type anything. This phones' voice recognition is better than anything I've aver seen and it doesn't need any training to work.

I've been doing searches with voice, sending txt msgs with voice, really anything that you used to type can be spoken including punctuation.

Another wonderful feature tthat I look forward to using is the Google Maps "lab". I travel to many Asian countries often. I've been frustrated and not having a map cached in my phones' memory that I could use with GPS, but w/o data or WiFi:

Google Maps for Android Labs Offers Offline Caching

I will miss WebOS, but the new Adroid OS looks like a fairly easy transition.
    youngjediboy and SirBC like this.
    09-19-2011 12:09 AM
    Is there an Android app out there that can provide what Synergy did to the WebOS Messenger app? I.e. group different messaging protocols (sms, mms, aim, gtalk, and Yahoo) for the same person onto a single conversation thread?

I'm having a hard time alone trying to find one that combines sms and gtalk.
    09-19-2011 12:35 AM
    Is there an Android app out there that can provide what Synergy did to the WebOS Messenger app? I.e. group different messaging protocols (sms, mms, aim, gtalk, and Yahoo) for the same person onto a single conversation thread?

I'm having a hard time alone trying to find one that combines sms and gtalk.
    Mask look in your phone and you will see an app that is like synergy on steroids. It is called Social Hub. I dont like all that crap since it bogs down the battery. But if that is what you need I think that will do.
    09-19-2011 01:14 AM
    Mask look in your phone and you will see an app that is like synergy on steroids. It is called Social Hub. I dont like all that crap since it bogs down the battery. But if that is what you need I think that will do.
    Close, but not quite. It seems all Social Hub does is gather email, sms, and sns accounts together into a single list to select from. Also, it doesnt seem to give consideration to IM protocols or acknowledge merged contacts.
    09-19-2011 01:30 AM
    Count me in this group!

My S2 is supposed to be delivered today!

But I can't help wondering if I'm getting the right phone at this point, with reading all about speed issues and reception.

Rob
    09-19-2011 10:03 AM
    Just to add to my previous post, I'm glad you started this thread in the S2 area.

I found Android Central not to be as active as PreCentral, we are known for being very vocal and hopefully we can bring some of that over here!

Rob
    09-19-2011 10:07 AM
    The keyboard on my Trusty Treo 700p finally stopped working (top row - you know, the one with (almost) all the vowels - to be specific) ... so I finally caved and bought a SGS2ET4G yesterday from LetsTalk.com. With the discount the price came to $147, which was over $100 than the Sprint store wanted to charge. $199 + tax + $36 activation fee as a special thank you for being a 10+ year customer. No thank you!

Anyway, if anyone else is coming from PalmOS, check out this link for converting your old pdb contacts, calendar, etc databases to formats you can import to Google Contacts and Calendar: PdbConverter - Index - shredzone.org
    09-19-2011 10:16 AM
    One feature I used quite often on my Pre was the "just type" which has been replaced by the google search on android. It works pretty well as a replacement but the thing it is missing is the ability to directly search the map.
    What I would do on my Pre is type in the name of a place or type an address and hit google map and it would open the map app and do the search right in there. I can't figure out how to do this on the new phone. When I search for an address or a place it just opens a google web search. I could just open the map first and search right in there, but I want to be able to do it from my home screen.

Is it at all possible?
    09-19-2011 03:14 PM
    On a similar note, I was hoping that installing the Wikipedia app would allow me to add it to the search options, but that is not the case. It'd be nice to be able to freely add to the search options.
    09-19-2011 03:29 PM
    One feature I used quite often on my Pre was the "just type" which has been replaced by the google search on android. It works pretty well as a replacement but the thing it is missing is the ability to directly search the map.
    What I would do on my Pre is type in the name of a place or type an address and hit google map and it would open the map app and do the search right in there. I can't figure out how to do this on the new phone. When I search for an address or a place it just opens a google web search. I could just open the map first and search right in there, but I want to be able to do it from my home screen.

Is it at all possible?
    You can hold down the search button and do a voice search for it.
    "Map of" and then whatever place/address you want.
    romanodog likes this.
    09-19-2011 03:35 PM
    You can hold down the search button and do a voice search for it.
    "Map of" and then whatever place/address you want.
    But there is no way to search for what I typed? Kind of strange that you can talk to it and it will work but you can't type in there.
    09-19-2011 03:47 PM

Is it at all possible?
    I use the voice search and say "navigate blah blah" and it comes up in like three seconds. To be honest google maps loads up instantly especially if you have caching so I find that to be good enough for me. If you want to hear turn by turn... turn on driving mode. Just learned that today
    09-19-2011 05:05 PM
    Close, but not quite. It seems all Social Hub does is gather email, sms, and sns accounts together into a single list to select from. Also, it doesnt seem to give consideration to IM protocols or acknowledge merged contacts.

AHHH I get you now. You want everything in one window. I did love that feature. Did you search the market to see if anyone emulated that? I find that keeping them seperate is better for me since I have skype gmail and text and the convos get long so I can search easier. On the pre gmail convos would get lost due to long text convos. Let me know if you find anything in the app store.
    09-19-2011 05:07 PM
    I replaced my Pre- last Friday at Best Buy store. I am having some reception problems with the phone, but the most annoying thing when I flip the phone to landscape I am hitting either volume or the power buttons on the side for the phone. I guess I will soon learn how to flip phone without hitting these buttons. I wish the Pre had the screen and the speed of this phone. I hope I will learn how to use this phone as effectively as the Pre.
    09-19-2011 05:16 PM
    I too am a new android user, coming from webos land (original pre-). Still trying to convince the wife to make the leap to the epic touch, but she may be holding out for iphone 5.

Hey, so, the pre charger has the same volts/amps as the epic touch's charger, and the microUSB plug from the pre fits in the touch. Does anyone know if the pins are all the same so that the cable actually is compatible?
    09-19-2011 06:18 PM
    Early Pre- adopter here too. It was everything I wanted in a Palm phone (aside from the subpar keyboard) and even two years (and some overclocking) later, I wasn't ready to part with it.

But the touchscreen started to go about the time I saw the Epic Touch and - frankly - I was tired of hearing commercials for apps that were available "for the iPhone or Android" all the time.

Without belaboring the crushingly poor job Palm, Sprint and HP did with this phone, I'll just leave it with this: I'm looking forward to Android, but I'll truly miss the simple elegance of WebOS. I'm glad to see so many Palm expatriates on this board showing their love for the Pre.
    kimdushinski likes this.
    09-19-2011 06:41 PM
    I had an original Pre on Sprint and was holding out for the Pre 3. Sooooooo f'in pissed off at HP for screwing us over. I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet that a vendor gave me, so figured I might as well the the Samsung phone.
    Still not sure if I like android yet, but it can't be worse than IOS which I just despise.
    09-19-2011 09:22 PM
124 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD