How many of you are WebOS transplants?

SirBC

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Launch day Pre user that switched when my screen broke. I still can't believe how crazy fast this phone is. Every applications loads instantly with no wait. Using the camera on my phone is now actually fun and easy! Google Maps is crazy fast too. Overall I'm loving this phone.

After a few days playing with the phone I still have a few questions.

1. Dock - I put a quick dial shortcut on my home page (menu/add/shortcut/direct dial) which is a great feature that required 3rd party apps on WebOS, but I can't seem to move it to the Dock. Unless I'm mistaken you can only move apps from the app drawer into the dock. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move the shortcut to the app drawer, or move the shortcut directly to the dock. Am I missing something?

2. Notifications - When the phone is locked and I miss a call or text/email, the notification on the lock screen doesn't seem to shows *who* it was that called or texted/emailed. Is there way to change this? In fact, when I drag down the the notification bar to show the notifications it *still* doesn't show who the email is from or the subject, it just says "New Email", so I have to actually open the email app just to see who it's from and the subject. Ugh. Is there some way to change that?

3. Notifications - the notifications don't seem to "stack". That is, if my phone is locked and I receive 3 emails, when I look at the lock screen it only shows 1 email icon in the notification area instead of the icon with a "3" overlaid. Also, it would be great if the lock screen showed the name of the last missed caller/text, and the subject/sender of the last email received.

pridee

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Pre and was hoping for the Pre 3. I jumped to Android mostly because my Pre, which was an original from the get go was slowing down significantly since I always had it overclocked to 1Ghz (1.75yes) and then later to 800Mhz. So far though I've had to return the Epic 4G touch once for locking up on me but Sprint fixed the issue. Now I'm having video playing problems. For such an advanced phone as the Epic 4G Touch, why can't it play any of the video files my Pre did. I used 8 different converters with different codecs and only 6 out of 28 files played. Even the Samsung Kies program couldnt convert any of the files correctly enough to be used on their own phone...Sigh.:mad:

lbnyrob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey All!
I'm a very recent transplant from that great resource and community- PreCentral.

I was first on line (ok so it didn't turn out to be such a line) on day one that the Palm Pre was being sold. I've managed to baby my first and only Pre although I've replaced the battery and watched the stress cracks grow.

I anxiously awaited the firmware upgrades that were expected but never came.

The Pre3 was going to be the next step but alas things went very differently than hoped.

Last night I purchased the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch and so far I'm pleased although I still prefer webOS.

I'm still swiping to delete, which is a gesture not familiar to this device- it'll be a learning curve. I miss the physical keyboard but expect to adapt fairly well.

The device is much larger, albeit much thinner- not a complaint, but the device will certainly take up more real estate on a belt.

Perhaps in 2+ years there will be a webOS device to ponder. Right now I'm populating the Samsung with familiar apps and moving forward (okay- it's only one day so far) without regrets!

Rob - Long Beach, NY

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If you want swipe to delete, get SwiftKey X.

I came from WebOS too, I was running a Sprint Pre- with hacked WebOS 2.1. The hardware needed to be aggressively overclocked to run the new OS without falling over, and when battery hits 15% in WebOS the device underclocks making it literally unusable. There was a reason the updates never came.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I jumped last year when the Evo came out. My launch day pre- was just too far gone. Was it easy going to android,....no. Was it worth it?..YES!!! Took some time but I have gotten used to it now. Love the real-estate it has. Was looking at the new Sammy but will wait to see how iPhone 5 is. Have a few months to go before I need to jump. As much as I wanted to get a pre3. HP and their ineptitude know no bounds.

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Used my pre today to get a number that wasnt saved and laughed out loud at how crappy the screen and hardware is. Even the smoothness was so choppy. thanks for all the posts guy. Let me know how you feel about the change a week or so after. The learning curve on this phone is very steep compared to the pre. Every app has slightly diferent rules. Alot of apps in apps too. Like the google maps and navigation work together with Lattitude. I like it for some things and dislike for the fragmented feel you get. But all in all I am very happy that when I click on things they work FAST.

p3wt3r

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, both my wife and I - we had original Pixi's and loved them. Actually I miss some of the WebOs functionality - I keep asking myself "why does (the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch, aka "GS2E4T") do it *THAT* way?" WebOs was a great operating system once I had tweaked the pixi to the point of working exactly the way I wanted it. Sure, it SUCKED that there was no Flash, and that it didn't have enough processing power to run the multiple cards of which it was theoretically capable.

The reason we switched was the multiplicity of android aps, and that the GS2E4T is the best challenger to apple so far.

Nice to meet y'all. Good luck!

Todd :cool:

Demosthenes9

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Launch day Pre user that switched when my screen broke. I still can't believe how crazy fast this phone is. Every applications loads instantly with no wait. Using the camera on my phone is now actually fun and easy! Google Maps is crazy fast too. Overall I'm loving this phone.

After a few days playing with the phone I still have a few questions.

1. Dock - I put a quick dial shortcut on my home page (menu/add/shortcut/direct dial) which is a great feature that required 3rd party apps on WebOS, but I can't seem to move it to the Dock. Unless I'm mistaken you can only move apps from the app drawer into the dock. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move the shortcut to the app drawer, or move the shortcut directly to the dock. Am I missing something?

2. Notifications - When the phone is locked and I miss a call or text/email, the notification on the lock screen doesn't seem to shows *who* it was that called or texted/emailed. Is there way to change this? In fact, when I drag down the the notification bar to show the notifications it *still* doesn't show who the email is from or the subject, it just says "New Email", so I have to actually open the email app just to see who it's from and the subject. Ugh. Is there some way to change that?

3. Notifications - the notifications don't seem to "stack". That is, if my phone is locked and I receive 3 emails, when I look at the lock screen it only shows 1 email icon in the notification area instead of the icon with a "3" overlaid. Also, it would be great if the lock screen showed the name of the last missed caller/text, and the subject/sender of the last email received.

Never had a WebOS phone but do have a TP, thanks to the firesale, and the one thing I can say that you really need to get used to is that damned near EVERYTHING in Android can be customized and/or replaced.

Can't answer any of you questions referencing Touchwiz, cause it is largely gone from my phone. But, I replaced the stock launcher with Launcher Pro and you can add direct dials right on the dock, oh yeah, you can also increase the number of icons on the dock AND make the dock scrollable as well. So, instead of 4 icons or whatever TouchWiz has, I have 5 icons on screen and 2 additional docks that I can scroll across for a total of 15.

For email, I replaced the stock app with Touchdown. Somewhat on the expensive side as far as apps go, but it's a huge improvement when working with Exchange. Does all kinds of things that the stock app just won't do. It handles my email notifications and puts a little envelope up in the bar on the first email and adds a number after that for multiple emails.

One thing it doesn't do though is tell me who the emails are from, even when I pull down the notification bar. That said, I could always add a Touchdown Email Widget onto one of the screens and it will show me the sender and subject line of my last 4 emails.

As your point about the lock screen notifications, I believe some of the replacements for it will do what you want. Can't recommend anything as I'm not that familiar with them as of yet :)

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Been with Sprint and Palm for 7 Years...and now the bitter pain of Palm/webOS dying is somewhat dulled by the sweetness of features/apps/speed of the Epic 4G Touch. I like widgets, but sometimes it gets too cluttered. Overall, I am pleased with the power and customization. Looks like I am Android from here on out (even though I still have my TouchPad and will use webOS until they shut down the servers...possibly longer)!

DuStU

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Been with Sprint and Palm for 7 Years...and now the bitter pain of Palm/webOS dying is somewhat dulled by the sweetness of features/apps/speed of the Epic 4G Touch. I like widgets, but sometimes it gets too cluttered. Overall, I am pleased with the power and customization. Looks like I am Android from here on out (even though I still have my TouchPad and will use webOS until they shut down the servers...possibly longer)!

WELCOME! I am rolling Android from here on out also

maethlin

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Another jumper here. Love this phone though I would kill to have a portrait querty on it (no matter how much fatter it got). I'm currently pairing it w/an Apple bluetooth keyboard to get by which works okay, but certain keys (ctrl, question mark) don't work correctly which is frustrating.

dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Launch day pre- webOS shipjumper! ...Good thing i have a Epic 4G Touch yacht life raft to save the day! Loving this phone im riding off into the android sunset!

alacrify

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a launch day pre. No regrets, this phone is incredible. I just gotta get used to the virtual keyboard. Swype is pretty amazing.

Exactly. Pre-, limping along got old. I'm considering this my "placeholder phone" until the next webOS phone comes out :)

But I am loving having something at the front of the line for once.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I thought I'd reply to this since I've done this with my E4GT using a custom launcher. You may want to download and try out the custom launcher Go Launcher EX. One of things it adds (among many others) is 5 icons on the dock instead of 4, and a quick swipe left and right (ala WebOS) adds another 5 icons for a total of 10 dock shortcuts.

The Go Launcher dock does allow you to put just about anything on it. So you can create a contacts shortcut on a home screen, then drag it down to your dock bar. My second set of 5 doc icons are set to my most often called contacts.

I'd venture to bet the other popular launchers like Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher can do this as well, but I've never used them so I can't say for sure.

Reactions: SirBC

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!

I need help! I've read all I can about SD card and app location.

This is becoming so frustrating!

So let me state some facts as I see them, and then correct me if I have this all wrong.

The phone comes with 1GB of working memory, and a total of 16GB of memory for storage. And you can expand the memory (storage) to a total of 48GB using a external micro SD card of 32GB max.

However, Samsung is calling this 16GB as SD card.

So when you move an app from the phone (the phone actually has 2GB allocated to storage of apps in the internal portion) to the SD card, you are NOT moving it to the external micro SD card that you purchased and installed on the back after taking off the cover.

So all these 'move to sd' apps on Android's Market Place are only moving the apps to the SD card, which is really the internal 16GB of memory that Samsung supplied with the phone.

I've been looking for a way to move the app to the 'EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD'.

It that even possible?

It just doesn't make sense in the wordage Samsung used to describe the SD card. Most people think that the app are being moved to that external micro sd card and that is far from the truth.

So how does one utilize this external micro sd card?

I'm going crazy here and I read through a ton of threads and forums on the subject and most people are not making a distinction of the SD card (which is internal) and micro SD card (which is external that you put in yourself).

So I'm not sure people are getting what people are asking when they say 'how do I move my apps to the SD card'! They are really meaning the external micro SD card.

Or do I have this all wrong?

Please help!

Rob

PS Here is a copy of what the review on Android Central said about the memory:

"The Epic 4G Touch also has about 835MB of RAM available for running programs -- you'll see it reported as 1GB most places -- and that's a big contributor to the phone running smoothly, too.
You've got a fair amount of storage on the phone -- 2GB for installing apps, and 11.5GB of internal storage for music, pictures, movies and whatever else you want. That internal storage actually is treated as if it's an SD card, so you can move apps to it, too. And that's important, as the Epic 4G Touch doesn't actually come with an SD card. You'll have to supply your own, and the phone will take up to a 32GB card."

tigrpaw

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Another longtime Palm user (14+ years) here. Finally gave up on the Pre- and bought the GSII on Friday.

Still miss the physical keyboard (boy oh boy, do I miss the keyboard), and can't count the number of times I've hit the battery icon in the upper-left hand corner to try and see how much battery life is left. That said, every time I get sad about a feature of WebOS that I miss, I open the web browser and look at the GSII screen and I'm all, 'OOOH, SHINY!" and I stop complaining.

In all seriousness, there are some Android quirks that are going to take me a while to get used to (even after dealing with Android on my rooted Nook Color for the past nine months), but the speed and the screen - that gorgeous, show-stopping screen - are quickly winning me over. Finally being able to get on the 4g network doesn't hurt, either. Web surfing on this thing is an absolute joy compared to the Pre.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!
I've been looking for a way to move the app to the 'EXTERNAL MICRO SD CARD'.

It that even possible?

It just doesn't make sense in the wordage Samsung used to describe the SD card. Most people think that the app are being moved to that external micro sd card and that is far from the truth.

So how does one utilize this external micro sd card?

Yeah, doesn't look like that's possible right now. Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/121918-move-sd-question.html

Sounds like the system storage of 2gb is pretty good to start with, and then you can move apps to the remaining 11gb of "SD" storage, which really should be enough. I'd just recommend using the external_sd area for stuff like music and video ... I think you can store pretty much anything else there.

Rob

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, doesn't look like that's possible right now. Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/121918-move-sd-question.html

Sounds like the system storage of 2gb is pretty good to start with, and then you can move apps to the remaining 11gb of "SD" storage, which really should be enough. I'd just recommend using the external_sd area for stuff like music and video ... I think you can store pretty much anything else there.

Rob

Agree with this. I'm using the 16 GB SD card from my old Epic for music and media, but I honestly don't think I'll use more than 20% of the storage capacity that I have. It's kind of dumb that we can't easily deal with this, but most people put media on their SD card and you can always back everything up to it in case you switch phones so I think it's more of an annoyance than an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12