View Poll Results: Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I tried the Eptouch and the data was terrible so I'm outta here

10 19.23%
  • No, the data isnt that bad and I'm going to stick it out

30 57.69%
  • I'm still not sure

12 23.08%
10-11-2011 09:10 AM
241 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I'm in a very similar situation myself although I'm coming from a Droid Charge. I had been assuming that Sprint 3G/4G would be sufficient for my needs.. but in Chicago here I have yet to see more than 3bars. Generally the phone sits at 0-1.

This phone is absolutely spectacular in every aspect except Sprints network where I'm at. Hate to say it.. but the phone may have to go back =\ I never considered myself someone that'd be tied to a network but having full bars of LTE everywhere I go has spoiled me.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    The fact of the matter is this phone is a POWERHOUSE. And to bottleneck it's capabilities with this beyond sub par network is like throwing low octane gas in a Ferrari engine. AT&T has always been good to me, I have 0 problems with their network. It's Apple I'm sick of. I'd put my salary on them being responsible (maybe not directly, but involved in some way) with this phone not being released on all carriers MONTHS ago. So it's really the iPhone I want to get rid of, not AT&T. But AT&T's selection of high end Android devices (Atrix is just NOT for me) is terrible. And compared to the SGS2, at this point in time 0 phones can compete. I was sure of that before I got my hands on it. Now that's I've had this gorgeous piece of technology in my hands I can say there is no going back. Kind of stuck in a catch-22 here.
    09-19-2011 10:06 PM
    Back from a road trip with a buddy that has at@t. Sprint wins the coverage battle in the foothills. Data was about the same.
    09-19-2011 10:34 PM
    Back from a road trip with a buddy that has at@t. Sprint wins the coverage battle in the foothills. Data was about the same.
    Which AT&T phone was being compared to your Eptouch 4G? Any results to post for comparison? As in screenshots etc.....? I'm not trying to be an ***, it's just after all the complaints from all over the country, it's hard to believe Sprint's data beats anything.
    09-19-2011 10:38 PM
    The data speeds in the Chicago area are bad, bur to be honest, when I had Sprint I didn't notice much because I used wifi all the time.
    09-19-2011 10:46 PM
    LTE is part of Network Vision, but it's the long-term part. Like Wimax, LTE requires a completely separate network infrastructure on different freqencies than CDMA and is hugely expensive to implement; AT&T and Verizon are spending upwards of a billon dollars per major metro market on their LTE deployments. Sprint doesn't have that kind of coin so plans to build out LTE in conjunction with partners Clearwire and Lightsquared, both of which have had various technical and/or financial problems. Long story short, it will take Sprint years to build out LTE.
    That's not actually true. The dirty little secret of Sprint's WiMax expansion over the last year or two has been that the base stations they've been using are dual-compatible with LTE. All they need to do is switch out one component and load new software and they have LTE. What network vision does is expand the use of these components, and provide significantly upgraded backhaul to support the bigger LTE pipes. It also unifies all of their variety of network options into one single base station, which will also have the side effect of allowing sprint to (finally) phase out i-den and nextel's network. That freed up spectrum will give sprint a heckuva wide berth for their LTE.

All that Sprint lacks right now is the money to do it; the components are there and all they need is the backhaul to support it.
    09-19-2011 10:56 PM
    Which AT&T phone was being compared to your Eptouch 4G? Any results to post for comparison? As in screenshots etc.....? I'm not trying to be an ***, it's just after all the complaints from all over the country, it's hard to believe Sprint's data beats anything.
    Iphone. We just did data. Att is the worst in the foothills. I had sprint before, and traveled with Nextel.coverage was good. I am a data freak, and vzw and sprint have robust 4g here. Having experienced throttled data, I find Sprint refreshing. I can link you with coverage maps and app screens but i am not at my pc. I live in a 3g area, but 4g from sprint is north and south of here like VZW and.I have not had crappy data speeds and I will be the first to complain. Lots of folks in this thread also have robust speeds. Funny how this pops up with a killer phone. Oh the timing. If sprint is not providing you with coverage and healthy data, try another network. Att has sprint and VZW beat in areas too just as VZW beats them both as well. Like I say, I have nothing to gain here. But if you find it hard to believe sprint flies in areas then you need fresh air.
    09-19-2011 11:05 PM
    Are today's LTE phones (like the Thunderbolt, Charge, etc) using that multi-mode chip? I know you can turn LTE off, which is why I assumed that meant it was a separate radio.
    You can still turn off specific frequencies with a multi-mode chip, since it still has the separate radios. Whats different is that there is one chip controlling all of them instead of a separate one for LTE and CDMA/EVDO like it is now.

None of the current LTE phones have a multimode chip because Verizon hasn't approved the first revision yet. Once they do, we'll start seeing thinner phones with multimode chips.
    09-19-2011 11:15 PM
    F-16 test
    3,942kb
    2.834 sec
    Somethings not right. My wife's new Epic 4G is much faster
    09-19-2011 11:22 PM
    Always choose the carrier first and the phone second. If you like at&t's speeds you should stick with them. New phones will arrive on at&t faster than network upgrades will.

Personally, 23 seconds doesn't seem that long to me. Then again, I'm almost always on WiFi.

PS: at&t's Galaxy S2 is going to be dope.
    09-19-2011 11:26 PM
    If I was coming from Verizon to this beast of device and data was slower in my area hmm I would stick it. out.
    This device is 800mhz capable data speeds are going to increase significantly very soon.
    If service stinks at your front door call sprint have them set you up with free airwave.
    09-19-2011 11:26 PM
    LTE is part of Network Vision, but it's the long-term part. Like Wimax, LTE requires a completely separate network infrastructure on different freqencies than CDMA and is hugely expensive to implement; AT&T and Verizon are spending upwards of a billon dollars per major metro market on their LTE deployments. Sprint doesn't have that kind of coin so plans to build out LTE in conjunction with partners Clearwire and Lightsquared, both of which have had various technical and/or financial problems. Long story short, it will take Sprint years to build out LTE.
    Lighsquared is loaded with cash, just google it.
    09-19-2011 11:30 PM
    F-16 test
    3,942kb
    2.834 sec
    Somethings not right. My wife's new Epic 4G is much faster
    I take it that is 4G? What is your wife's result?
    09-19-2011 11:32 PM
    My results of the Blue Angels Test.

3G:

4G:

WiFi:

I'm ok with the 3G results. The 4G can definitely be better, but I rarely use 4G because 3G speeds in my area are fine for my needs, and it's usually not worth the opportunity cost of a drained battery.
    09-20-2011 12:05 AM
    No trolling here guys but honestly is this phone going to be like the EPIC fail that the Epic 4g was thats still plagued by many quality issues????? The main problem here is that the phone fails big time to connect to the network and explains why it takes even most mobile pages 25 seconds to load past half way and then another 30 seconds for the full page to load. I've been on the phone with Sprint Technical support for almost and our and have tried out at least 4 different things and we are getting now where. The problem I see with the phone is that it takes a long time to connect to the server which has nothing to do with Sprints network but the poor antenna's in the phone maybe. We also did a speed test on Sprint.com/speedtest and the Ping = 498 dwnld = .20mbs and upld= .013 mbps. To make matters worse it actually took 2 minutes to complete each test in which we had to take 3 test. If the problem which is the only problem i'm encountering other than missing widgets persist i'm going to have to hang it up on this Sammy.. I refuse to be glamatized by a big beautiful screen and a superb camera...I must have fast connecting internet!!!!
    09-20-2011 12:06 AM
    No trolling here guys but honestly is this phone going to be like the EPIC fail that the Epic 4g was thats still plagued by many quality issues????? The main problem here is that the phone fails big time to connect to the network and explains why it takes even most mobile pages 25 seconds to load past half way and then another 30 seconds for the full page to load. I've been on the phone with Sprint Technical support for almost and our and have tried out at least 4 different things and we are getting now where. The problem I see with the phone is that it takes a long time to connect to the server which has nothing to do with Sprints network but the poor antenna's in the phone maybe. We also did a speed test on Sprint.com/speedtest and the Ping = 498 dwnld = .20mbs and upld= .013 mbps. To make matters worse it actually took 2 minutes to complete each test in which we had to take 3 test. If the problem which is the only problem i'm encountering other than missing widgets persist i'm going to have to hang it up on this Sammy.. I refuse to be glamatized by a big beautiful screen and a superb camera...I must have fast connecting internet!!!!
    wow, copy paste huh?
    09-20-2011 12:09 AM
    wow, copy paste huh?
    lol for sure.
    09-20-2011 12:17 AM
    I live in the actual city of Chicago and work downtown. Sprint is the only carrier that consistently works in my office (VZW and AT&T can barely hold a signal to pull down email; T-Mobile is fine in the morning but chokes during the peak late-morning/early afternoon hours). I generally get 2-5mbps down on 4G at the office, fast enough. 3G is terrible, but apparently they're working on towers. We'll see what happens.
    09-20-2011 12:31 AM
    wow, copy paste huh?
    09-20-2011 12:38 AM
    And here you are again copy/past but leaving out the palm pre comment.
    Are you not getting enough attention in thread you started
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...e-epic-4g.html
    09-20-2011 12:43 AM
    Funny. I saw a sprint commercial last night and they talked about how you have caps and data throttling on all the other carriers. But not sprint. You get throttled data the whole time lol.
    That's so funny but true and sad at the same time! Long story cut short - after returning the Bionic (horrible camera, batter, audio interference with analog out, etc.) - we picked up 2 Epic Touch GS2's and LOVE them - at least on Wi-Fi as in our area we are lucky to get 150 kbps down and 75 up!!!!!

I knew Sprint was slower (VZW we get 1,000 - 1,500 kbps down, near 1000 up) but I didn't think it would be so SLOW - i should have knowm when at the store it all demo phones (Evo 3D, Photon) were also slow - I just figured it must have been a moment where the network was strained or a bad coverage area at the store - but it was as bad or worse for us and in our entire area - just horribly slow. A friend's Evo was super slow but i didn't spend much time with it .....

What I can't believe is how anyone can spend $129 plus the $10 each for 2 lines on Sprint Everything plan for such slow service - installing small apps on the Market takes forever, Google Navigation is useless (can't draw the sat maps) , cannot stream Netlfix or YouTube - ......

Saving some $$$ (with the $10 each line fee , it's not that much less than VZW) is nice but if it's not even usable - what's the point? We love the phones so much we are tempted to stay but will have to return and wait out the GS2 class Verizon model to be released, in the end I will be glad i waited (though after waiting forever on the Bionic and it being a bust, patience is thin for a 1GB RAM, dual core model on VZW>.....)

Right now I'm in VA and Atlanta traveling for work and with Wimax Sprint is usable but still , getting around 2mbps down with Wimax and with VZW Three3 EvD0 I get over 1,500 kbps - so Sprint's Wimax isnt' much faster than the non LTE speeds I obtained with the Bionic mow my Droid and wife's Eris - around 1,000 - 800 kbps down VZW, still decent / very good compared to 150 down and 75 kbps which we see by Sprint in our home area!

At least the Galaxy S2 is a total winner - with the Bionic i had to research a few issues, with the GS2 - no issues but for this thread and the SLOW network - not the phone's fault ..........

Pls verizon get this phone or similar ASAP!!!!!

I didn't think i'd want the larger 4.5" display but the phone fits in hand nicely and is so light and thin (the plastic feel i didn't like at 1st coming from 2 yrs nearly of the orignal Droid and week of the Bionic but now after just a few days - I don't mind the "plastic" Samsung at all - love it).

At least coming here I know i'm not alone in dealing with Spint.

Even if Sprint was faster in our home area, i'd hate to travel and be hit or miss when traveling not knowing if the network would be decent in that area or not! I think with VZW the network willl be decent (speeds / signal) pretty much all over , worth the extra $20 or so per month after all.

Glad we dindn't port out #'s and end VZW to get the Epic Touch models last week or i'd have lost unlimited VZW (oh yea we have LTE in most of our home area - that's another huge pluse, no Wimax at home and we know new Wimax rollouts are not happening).......

Really frustrated that Sprint has great phones but such a horrible network!

Now I know why some friends say their Android phones are so slow and they want iPhones - they don't realize it's their network NOT the phone!
    09-20-2011 02:49 AM
    We also did a speed test on Sprint.com/speedtest and the Ping = 498 dwnld = .20mbs and upld= .013 mbps. To make matters worse it actually took 2 minutes to complete each test in which we had to take 3 test. If the problem which is the only problem i'm encountering other than missing widgets persist i'm going to have to hang it up on this Sammy.. I refuse to be glamatized by a big beautiful screen and a superb camera...I must have fast connecting internet!!!!
    There is a rumor that some phones weren't provisioned properly for 3g login info. If you do a ##786# reset, you can test that theory out. ##786# will factory reset your phone (ie lose your data) including the provisioning info and reprovision your phone. There are other methods to update that info that are less intrusive but in some cases they may not be able to provision properly either.

BTW your #s are likely for a 1x connection despite what the UI may be telling you.
    09-20-2011 03:45 AM
    What I can't believe is how anyone can spend $129 plus the $10 each for 2 lines on Sprint Everything plan for such slow service - installing small apps on the Market takes forever, Google Navigation is useless (can't draw the sat maps) , cannot stream Netlfix or YouTube -
    Obviously it doesn't perform that poorly everywhere.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    09-20-2011 03:50 AM
    Obviously it doesn't perform that poorly everywhere.
    I have discounted every ones credibly that says sprint is no good any where. That is just wrong. Funny how the timing of these threads are "think about it?"
    09-20-2011 06:35 AM
    Cory's test this morning after a prl update. Didn't check before I updated but it is on prl 60681 now. Yes this is 3G

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
    09-20-2011 07:37 AM
    Reading this gives me hope things will get much better for Sprint's network soon;

UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? – GizmoFusion

With the iPhone5 due soon, they need better coverage to handle all the new users. The Epic Touch 4G is covered by this, so we all good. Hopefully this is true and they just need to "flip a switch" to to activate it ?
    09-20-2011 08:01 AM
241 ... 45678 ...