Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I should rephrase that. Capped data is for new contracts. The millions on unlimited are grandfathered in on whatever with whatever upgrades. I agree, sprint sucks here as well. On their website they even warn me that coverage is limited here. Not to mention slow slow slow. Agree, you get what you pay for. I would way rather have a fast data connection than a fast "looking" whatever.

I understand that Sprints service isn't that good there but as you stated they tell you this on their site, so if this is true then by them stating that service is limited, then it doesn't really suck, coverage is just not that wide spread there yet. They would suck if they claim to offer great coverage but really don't.

If people would take a few moments just to look into who has the best coverage and who has the worse in there area, people would still find something to complain about but it would be less about the carrier lol
I'm sure you looked this information up, and hopefully your next phone will be on the best carrier for you....

Added: Also are you guys basing this poor data based on usage or test ran thru a speed test app? i am asking because i ran Speed test and average a but 700 to 500 kbs down but when I run a test a another app Open Signal it reported as high as 1.964mbs down and 670 kbs up . Also when i run the Speedtest app and switch locations further awake by a few miles it actually was faster. I know when i was having issues with my 4G i called up Sprint and they did some kind of update over the air for something can't remember what they called it and it did get faster. you might want to check into any of these test to see if it helps you get better speeds....

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, like Cory pointed out, even years ago, Sprint does rock solid, and more so than others in certain locations depending on the place, I do respect Sprint for warning me. They do cover the city here, it is just the hills and beyond that drop dead. At&t does the same but they won't tell you! I know nobody expects Sprint to have killer data all over. They are building out winmax, and are not capping data so there is a defined advantage for anyone shopping a new contract. I am sure people expect the SG2 to scream with data. I think people should invest the research on network coverage before signing a contract.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Funny. I saw a sprint commercial last night and they talked about how you have caps and data throttling on all the other carriers. But not sprint. You get throttled data the whole time lol.

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is going back, I had no idea just how far behind Sprint's network is... back to AT&T for me I guess..

Nice phone tho

Coop1979

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Of course the iPhone is faster on AT&T - it has HSDPA. I'm not sure why you were expecting over 1 meg service with 3G on CDMA. That's not realistic. Here are some pre-HSDPA tests on VZW, Sprint, and AT&T.

167391-main3gchart_960_original.gif

Kic360

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Galaxy S 2, but the network in Phoenix is usually pretty bad.Don't know what is going on this morning.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't they just do the LTE buildout as part of Network Vision?

LTE is part of Network Vision, but it's the long-term part. Like Wimax, LTE requires a completely separate network infrastructure on different freqencies than CDMA and is hugely expensive to implement; AT&T and Verizon are spending upwards of a billon dollars per major metro market on their LTE deployments. Sprint doesn't have that kind of coin so plans to build out LTE in conjunction with partners Clearwire and Lightsquared, both of which have had various technical and/or financial problems. Long story short, it will take Sprint years to build out LTE.

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Funny. I saw a sprint commercial last night and they talked about how you have caps and data throttling on all the other carriers. But not sprint. You get throttled data the whole time lol.

+1. I have friends on T-Mobile whose 4G data is throttled after they hit 2 Gb in a month -- their throttled speeds are equal or better to what I typically get on Sprint.

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we do have 4g in chicago and it works pretty well for the most part - I'd say about 80% of the time in the city and burbs I get a good 4g signal with speeds between 2.5 and 5mpbs....

It entirely depends on where you are. In many densely populated parts of Chicago the typical 4G speeds are significantly lower than you are getting, because the towers are overloaded.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
+1. I have friends on T-Mobile whose 4G data is throttled after they hit 2 Gb in a month -- their throttled speeds are equal or better to what I typically get on Sprint.

Funny as I was just looking at a friends T-Mobile HTC Sensation and he is getting around 700-1000Kbps and that's throttled. He is over 3GB right now so far in monthly data usage.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously thinking about purchasing the Galaxy S 2, but the network in Phoenix is usually pretty bad.Don't know what is going on this morning.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Are those tests all on 3G or 4G, besides the wifi ones of course?

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Of course the iPhone is faster on AT&T - it has HSDPA. I'm not sure why you were expecting over 1 meg service with 3G on CDMA. That's not realistic. Here are some pre-HSDPA tests on VZW, Sprint, and AT&T.

167391-main3gchart_960_original.gif

Even the non HSDPA speeds with AT&T are faster than what I'm getting with Sprint 3G, by almost double.