Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

trentlythp

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Posted this in another thread but I figured that this was a more appropriate place to put it...

I was averaging roughly 13-15 down with 1.5 up on my HTC's. This one is not as good but compared to what everyone here is talking about its amazing. I get about 1.5 down and 500K up on 3G.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well i have to say goodbye to Sprint. Guess im stuck paying more for better data, but to me that's well worth it

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well i have to say goodbye to Sprint. Guess im stuck paying more for better data, but to me that's well worth it

Meh sorry. :(

Assuming they ask for a reason for the return, please be sure to voice your complaint on the data speeds. It won't help you, but it may one day help another Sprint customer in your area.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Meh sorry. :(

Assuming they ask for a reason for the return, please be sure to voice your complaint on the data speeds. It won't help you, but it may one day help another Sprint customer in your area.

I promise to make the point of sharing the disappointing data speeds as my reason for cancelling my service. I really wish it was better. I really like this phone

edgar.nalchad

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there no 4G in Chicago? I am in LA and I mostly get around 200 - 300 on 3g but am normally getting around 3MB + on 4G.. I switched from Verizon and am glad I did. All my friends are still on verizon and keep *****ing about how horrible and inconsistent the data is now that they have activated 4G. Id rather get a little slower speed but know have constant connectivity and unlimited

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Had the bionic and now the epic touch. Sprint slaps alongside Verizon without a choke. Good by clunky chunky big red. Sprint has sick speeds here. I hope, since it has been 8 years the foothills are built out...gonna have to take a road trip!

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on what to do. I absolutely love this phone but I agree that Sprint's data speeds are absolutely horrific. I can't even stream video half the time. What's the point of having a multimedia powerhouse if it's buffering every second?

My current speeds at 7PM on a Monday night are 180 - 190 kbps. Roughly 4-5 times faster than 56k dialup. Are you kidding me?

Two options that I'm thinking of. Return it (Sprint just downgraded the return period to 14 days so I would have to act fast), or hold on to it and wait for the AT&T version to come out.

Then of course I'll have a $350 early termination fee. But you know what, I can sell the phone on ebay and make at least $300 of that back.

It's really frustrating. I don't even know how Sprint remains in business with speeds this low.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Run this test instead:

1. Go to performance.toast.net
  2. Choose the option to test using the F-16 Fighting Jet.
  3. When it's done it will tell you how many seconds it took to download this 1MB picture.
  4. Post it here.

Mine took 39 seconds.

I don't trust the speed test app. It typically says I get about 300kbps down and 800kbps up. I would not be able to surf Android Central's site at those speeds.

That article for Chicago doesn't even really mention Sprint, at least from what I read on my phone here. Are you saying it's been crap all along? Or?

I'm saying that recent speed tests have not shown much of a difference on the 3G network. I'm not stating these are factual, just posting some information I found. I highlighted Chicago for you.

2009:

2011-09-18_20-48-11-1.png

2011:

2011-09-19_16-33-27-2.png

Reactions: Johnly

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of torn on what to do. I absolutely love this phone but I agree that Sprint's data speeds are absolutely horrific. I can't even stream video half the time. What's the point of having a multimedia powerhouse if it's buffering every second?

My current speeds at 7PM on a Monday night are 180 - 190 kbps. Roughly 4-5 times faster than 56k dialup. Are you kidding me?

Two options that I'm thinking of. Return it (Sprint just downgraded the return period to 14 days so I would have to act fast), or hold on to it and wait for the AT&T version to come out.

Then of course I'll have a $350 early termination fee. But you know what, I can sell the phone on ebay and make at least $300 of that back.

It's really frustrating. I don't even know how Sprint remains in business with speeds this low.

This its what's killing me. I really, really love this phone. The data speeds are atrocious. Is there any solid info of a fix in sight???

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Run this test instead:

1. Go to performance.toast.net
  2. Choose the option to test using F-16 Fighting Jet.
  3. When it's done it will tell you how many seconds it took to download this 1MB picture.
  4. Post it here.

I don't trust the speed test app. It typically says I get about 300kbps down and 800kbps up. I would not be able to surf Android Central's site at those speeds.

This is what i got using your site. Downloading the fighter jet picture.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LTE is part of Network Vision, but it's the long-term part. Like Wimax, LTE requires a completely separate network infrastructure on different freqencies than CDMA and is hugely expensive to implement; AT&T and Verizon are spending upwards of a billon dollars per major metro market on their LTE deployments. Sprint doesn't have that kind of coin so plans to build out LTE in conjunction with partners Clearwire and Lightsquared, both of which have had various technical and/or financial problems. Long story short, it will take Sprint years to build out LTE.
Network Vision is about taking the iDEN (800MHz), CDMA (1.9GHz), and WiMax (2.5GHz) towers and combining them into a single multi-mode tower with new backaul and radios. Clear claims LTE is mostly a software upgrade for them. If Sprint was planning on including WiMax (2.5GHz) on their multi-mode towers, I can't believe the *incremental* costs of LTE are that much more, especially considering Clear is saying LTE is mostly a software upgrade for their WiMax infrastructure.

The "hugely expensive" part for Sprint is Network Vision itself and is equivalent to the billions Verizon and ATT are spending. Then you have Evdo Rev B being mostly a software upgrade for the CDMA modules and LTE being mostly a software upgrade for WiMax modules (or dropping WiMax and just deploying LTE instead)

Given how much tearing apart they are doing, I would find it difficult to believe they aren't seriously considering deploying LTE at the same time. They were already planning on deploying WiMax on their towers as part of Network Vision and Sprint has acknowledged LTE is in their future. I think the consideration isn't about billions of dollars to roll out LTE, but rather whether they should take the money allocated to deploying WiMax on their multi-mode towers and redirecting that to LTE.

You can see the type of changes Sprint is saying they are doing for network vision in the picture they provide:

Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Network Vision Information Center

Base-station-images.jpg

Multi-mode.png