Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I may not be remembering correctly, but I recall other samsung phones (Moment, Or. Epic and the Nexus) that had a software update to increase network throughput. Curious if this is a Samsung issue or not...

selvian

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I hit 12 megs down last night in Eagle Rock, CA. The 4g service is very spotty, but 3g gets me near 1-4megs down everywhere* I have service
20110921112322.png

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
How many holsters do you have attached to your waist? :p

Two, front right pocket, Sprint, front left pocket, Verizon! Streamed Hulu with my Sprint hotspot with zero buffering. Not so much on Verizon. Even you tube on verizon needs buffering. I am pissed off! Verizon is a liar.

hail2theskins

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I too have horrible 3g speeds(50-300 kb/s). I am in Phoenix AZ, and haven't broken 1mb/s in over a year. After arguing with sprint and involving the BBB for about a month, i was just released from my contract on the 14th. I too was told I'd be getting 4g "sometime next month" every month for the past year .

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I too have horrible 3g speeds(50-300 kb/s). I am in Phoenix AZ, and haven't broken 1mb/s in over a year. After arguing with sprint and involving the BBB for about a month, i was just released from my contract on the 14th. I too was told I'd be getting 4g "sometime next month" every month for the past year .

Oh how I know you pain.

Phoenix has been a disaster since the OG Evo hit. Before that it wasnt even great, but I could at least hit 1-1.5Mbit

Its a good day to hit 250Kbit as of late. Most of the time 50-100Kbit

Not enough to make me switch though.

69.99 -24% +10$ = better deal than anything else. Also the customer support has more than once done more than I would expect out of any other company.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones out. Verizon just throttled me to 1x! Huh!? I also have a small triangle above bars, sprints edge? The reception plain sucks here. Data between the two are struggling today. I have 1 and a half weeks to decide, he he.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps I may not be remembering correctly, but I recall other samsung phones (Moment, Or. Epic and the Nexus) that had a software update to increase network throughput. Curious if this is a Samsung issue or not...

This for some reason sounds familiar now that i think about it. You may be on to something here

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally did it. Picked up the SGS2 from Sprint (I'm an AT&T customer, very happy with their network around here just not the phone selection) on Sunday and after 3 days of traveling with my job, I can officially say that here in Central Florida Sprint is absolutely terrible. I was on a 1 hour long conference call this morning and dropped call 6 times within a 65 mile stretch. Had to dial back in and explain myself each time. Was completely embarrassing. Went to the Sprint store this evening, and returned the phone and cancelled my plan after seeing AT&T's twitter announcement about the October 2nd release date.

Regardless if it actually comes out next Sunday or not, this phone is absolutely GORGEOUS. I'll wait for it to come out on AT&T or something better. But I can't justify using this powerhouse with a network that, at max, gets me EDGE data speeds. Now they want to CAP the people who PAY 30 bucks extra a month? Are they insane?

With my 4 phone family plan with AT&T, it's actually worth the money. And we get a substantial discount with our company. Sorry Sprint. I gave you guys a shot, but around here I need a reliable cell provider.

suprajjang

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got my SGS2 from Sprint today!
Here are the results of my test. Location: Richmond VA
3G:
Test 1: 548kbps down & 36kbps up
Test 2: 288kpbs down & 28kbps up

4G:
Test 1: 1334Kbps down & 191kbps up
Test 2: 1693kbps down & 138kbps up

WIFI:
19977kbps down & 18986kbps up!

Not as low as some people but always room for improvement :D

Last edited:

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what part of central florida you travel but att amd sprint both have spotty coverage in that part of the state. I know this cause i have driven with my boss in the past and he has dropped calls with his ATT iphone 4 and almost thrown the thing out the window.

As for traveling North & South on 75 (west coast) ive been able to carry on a calls for over an hour with sprint and not drop a single call. So, take it for what it is and if you feel like paying more than go back to ATT.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what part of central florida you travel but att amd sprint both have spotty coverage in that part of the state. I know this cause i have driven with my boss in the past and he has dropped calls with his ATT iphone 4 and almost thrown the thing out the window.

As for traveling North & South on 75 (west coast) ive been able to carry on a calls for over an hour with sprint and not drop a single call. So, take it for what it is and if you feel like paying more than go back to ATT.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

I spend most of my time on I-95. Between Melbourne and Jupiter AT&T drops the call once, some days not at all. Like I said earlier, had 6 dropped called with Sprint today, horrible service the other 2 days.

Trust me, if I could keep them I would in a heart beat. But if paying extra (not really extra, family plan on AT&T and 4 lines is very cost effective) means better service on the east coast of Florida, then I guess it's worth it.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
at&t drops calls because while traveling, the device is connected to one tower (hard hand off) and sometimes gets interrupted by a millisecond of zero connection, hence a dropped call (GSM) thing I am told. With Verizon, you are connected to three towers, and when you travel, you remain connected to two (soft hand off.) Not a doubt Verizon is superior in that aspect. That said, Sprint 3g and VZW 3g speeds where I live are the same. I think VZW has better coverage than Sprint as evidenced by my first dead zone experience with the epic 4g touch. It is a freak of a phone, but if in my college, I get dead zones, what does that mean for clinicals in a brick hospital? Bottom line, Sprint is fast when on their network. I hope they keep it up. For me, I dropped the Epic Touch 4g (best phone I have used to date) and have decided on the Bionic. I need that coverage, and I almost had that with Sprint.

I give Major cred to Sprint. They were nice and customer service was first class. I also didn't give Sprint a fair run, one dead zone on one day is NOT any indicator. I am just to damn brainwashed and afraid to leave Verizon while my data and hotspot are unlimited. Besides, LTE is only 5 miles away. Should be here soon.

Last edited:

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I give Major cred to Sprint. They were nice and customer service was first class. I also didn't give Sprint a fair run, one dead zone on one day is NOT any indicator.

Very true, my friend. And I'll give Sprint that. Their customer service was OUTSTANDING. They told me they'd honor the 30-day return policy for me, they made the return SUPER easy and didn't guilt trip me at all, and customer service waived the activation fee for me even though I just cancelled a line... Who does this? A++ customer service from Sprint. I just need more reliable coverage.

Parker Clack

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the GS11E4G (yet) but I have been getting more and more frustrated with Sprint over the past few months. I am supposed to have great 4G coverage in my area (Kansas City, MO) but I don't have any at all. My 3G coverage is pretty poor and I use WiFi 98% of the time. What really bugs me the most though is my phone coverage. I can hardly go more than a few minutes without having the calls dropped. I am seriously thinking of just getting the Epic 4G for the phone and not having any type of cell service at all and just using WiFi all the time.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the GS11E4G (yet) but I have been getting more and more frustrated with Sprint over the past few months. I am supposed to have great 4G coverage in my area (Kansas City, MO) but I don't have any at all. My 3G coverage is pretty poor and I use WiFi 98% of the time. What really bugs me the most though is my phone coverage. I can hardly go more than a few minutes without having the calls dropped. I am seriously thinking of just getting the Epic 4G for the phone and not having any type of cell service at all and just using WiFi all the time.

Good luck with that.

Scynfewl

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I haven't got past 1.5 Mbs for over half a year. When I first got the EVO 4g I get 3 Mbs for a couple months. Now I get mostly 100 to 300 Kbs. I am of course talking about 3G speeds.

It REALLY seems to me that the 3G and 4G speed have actually dropped over about 10 months. I uased to roll 3-4Mbps on 3G and 9-10 4G. Hell now I get 30Kbps on 3G and can't connect to 4G. This is over the EVO and EVO3D phones.

I stick where I have WiFi and if I'm not near it, I don't use data. My buddy got a Bionic and I grabbed it, downloaded speedtest.net and EVERYWHERE we went that weekend I kept taking it, averaging 18Mbps and up to 24Mbps...........................................

:mad:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
From my limited experience, cell service can fluctuate daily. A few days ago Sprint was trumping my vzw service, but last night my vzw service was back to awesome. Idk, I dont think a few days is an overal snapshot of a prividers service. Give it a 13 day run from the time you buy your phone. If you havr good service from sprint (millions do) then you got yourself the best damn phone ever made.

tnadawg89

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I had a sprint rep call me last week to inform me that I had gone over their 300 Mb roaming cap. I told him that if I had better service I wouldn't be roaming. He informed me that they are doing a "huge" upgrade to the network due to their latency being peaked and that it wasn't just my area, it was all across the states. He said that the upgrade would be starting next month.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek