Returning strictly due to Sprint's horrible data speeds

Are he data issues with Sprint enough to make you jump ship?

• Total voters

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't feel like reading through this whole thread since its basically the same as the Nexus S 4g problem. I will just state what I know. I have two friends that work for sprint. One is a field tech and the other works for Corp. The chicagoland area is going through a MASSIVE tower update and overhaul. The chicagoloand area has been fast growing for sprint in the last year and half. The Sprint customers are causing a network workload that the towers can't handle. This is why you are seeing slower than normal 3g speeds. I have had sprint for over 12 yrs now and Its never been this slow. They were able to tell me the tower overhaul and the building of new towers is also in line with sprint getting the new iphone this year. My buddy who works in the field told me that we won't be able to see anyone relief from this until Oct 30th if that.

This is an ever evolving project so who knows maybe speeds will get better soon maybe later.
If you call customer service and pound them with questions they might finally spill the beans about the overhaul and overcrowdness on the towers but I doubt it.

If this is true, then sprint should mention this "overhaul" to let us all know they are trying to improve. I for one just think its a matter of over-crowding that Sprint has no answer for, at least not in the near future. Otherwise they would have been much more vocal about it.

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
If this is true, then sprint should mention this "overhaul" to let us all know they are trying to improve. I for one just think its a matter of over-crowding that Sprint has no answer for, at least not in the near future. Otherwise they would have been much more vocal about it.

I agree they should mention it, but they won't, nor would any other carrier.

abrcrmdl23

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I live in Columbus Ohio and we have a pretty reliable sprint network here and fast 4g coverage. I use my phone all over the north to north estern part of the city and I use my phone alot for data and run a lot of speed tests, I am a bit obsessed. Anyways I usually average 800Kbps-1.2mbps down on 3g and a constant 512-700Kbps up. Our 4g has good coverage and is fast I average about 8mbps down with bursts of up to 12 when I am at my house. Also 1mbps-1.5mbps up Pretty much all the time. Love my sprint coverage and phones here, can't wait till the network vision is completed can only bring great things to Columbus. Only 2 Weeks left til l we get the update. I have a nexus, epic touch and photon love them all.
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Not true. Att put ads in the trib and Sun times for weeks and had a commercial spot about upgrades happening in chicagoland

I'm sorry, let me re-phrase. Rarely will any carrier inform the public, unless there is a massive outcry

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I live in DE and have been in Philly all day. I've been seeing speeds of 700kbps-1.2mbps on 3G and 5-8mbps on 4G. I'm perfectly content with those speeds in such a large market.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

mrnd23

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am near Atlanta and I tested the speeds for 3G at home I get around 700kbps and outside around 1 Mbps. For 4g I get 3.5 to 4.5 at home and outside in the open around 8 Mbps. So I am pretty happy with what I get from sprint. Loving this beast of a phone.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If I could get these speeds on Sprint 4G with this phone I would be in heaven.

Not sure why but my EVO4G was rooted and i had tried every PRL fix, kernal fix known to man and i couldn't pull a speed higher than 800+ ping and 0.15mbps - 0.50 but i am happy to say on ET4G i haven't gotten less than a 150+ png and consistantly getting 1.25 - 1.75 mbps and i can TOTALLY live with that : ) Not going to root cuz i don't wanna jack nothing up.. When i was in the Sprint Stor buying my 2nd ET4G for my husband some guy was trying to exchange his for the same phone but he admitted to me he thinks the root method he tried jacked up his data signal permanently.

Personally i might stay away from root just becuz this phone is sooooo capable without it, we will see...lol

This phone surpasses ANY phone i have had (Photon, Bionic and G2X amongst them : )

BTC

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to resist rooting mine, too but I really got used to using my EVO 4G to supply a wi-fi signal for my Nook Color. That is the only reason I would root my E4GT...free hot spot.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why but my EVO4G was rooted and i had tried every PRL fix, kernal fix known to man and i couldn't pull a speed higher than 800+ ping and 0.15mbps - 0.50 but i am happy to say on ET4G i haven't gotten less than a 150+ png and consistantly getting 1.25 - 1.75 mbps and i can TOTALLY live with that : ) Not going to root cuz i don't wanna jack nothing up.. When i was in the Sprint Stor buying my 2nd ET4G for my husband some guy was trying to exchange his for the same phone but he admitted to me he thinks the root method he tried jacked up his data signal permanently.

Personally i might stay away from root just becuz this phone is sooooo capable without it, we will see...lol

This phone surpasses ANY phone i have had (Photon, Bionic and G2X amongst them : )

BTC

I wouldn't root at this time. The biggest issue with rooting this phone right now is the LOS (loss of service) bug which makes your phones data and voice inoperable until you reset it. Once that is fixed there will be no reason not to root but that is a big reason to wait. I haven't gotten an LOS on a stock SGS2 yet. Once rooted it happended 2x in 2 days. Returned it for a new phone and it hasn't happened on this one yet running stock.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So who returned it so far due to the data speeds?

Don't see what the point would be of returning this phone due to data speeds unless you are going to leave Sprint. The issue you are seeing is not with the phone but with Sprint's network. If you are going to saty with sprint, might as well use the best phone they have available right now and hope they start fixing their 3G speeds, especially if they want to keep iPhone users who are coming from other carriers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2