Pissed off that ICS will use OMAP as reference chip.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So the headlines this morning is that Google will use the OMAP chip for ICS. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since they bought out/ merged with Motorola. The problem I'm having is why did they want to go with a inferior chip set? I mean when the Nexus One came out they used the Snap Dragon because that was the best thing out at the time and when Froyo came out, it did wonders for that phone with JIT. JIT did not work so well or did not get that 400% speed boost on other processors. When the Nexus S came out it used the Hummingbird chip and as you can see that the Nexus S is still holding its own quite well against other dual core phones.

My point being is that from personally playing around with Epic Touch 4G for a few hours last night, the Exynos is a freaking monster of a chip. I could only imagine what kind of a beast it would truely become if it was used as a reference chip. If Verizon is getting a Droid Prime, don't kid yourself by thinking its going to be the same phone as this beast. It will most likely be a variation of the Droid Bonic just like how the Nexus S was a variation of the Galaxy S. Now i'm Pissed, I really wanted Verizon to have THIS phone ( same processor and screen size ). I have yet to play with the bonic, but I have played with the Droid X2 which also uses the Omap chip but with half the ram, and you can't even put the two phones ( Epic Touch 4G ) in the same zip code when it comes to performance, hell my rooted and voodooed Fascinate felt just as fast.

Oh well..... end rant.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a stupid question, but does this mean that this phone will continue to kick ass or we will eventually get left behind?

Please clarify as im not completely current on all of the processor dev.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the headlines your seeing are for the Verizon only version, where non TI OMAP CPUs have problems with Verizon's LTE. Just a thought...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
A. It doesn't mean that your phone won't get ICS.

B. The Droid x2 had a tegra and half the ram. The half the ram is a big deal.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a stupid question, but does this mean that this phone will continue to kick ass or we will eventually get left behind?

Of course this phone will be left behind. It's a Samsung. You better like what you have, because that's all you're getting.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

freddyc

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Can't say for sure. Google claimed that they're going to start working with everyone to get updates out faster and to up to date devices. We'll know in a few months. Meanwhile, enjoy the phone. Its one of the best Android devices out right.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Of course this phone will be left behind. It's a Samsung. You better like what you have, because that's all you're getting.

Ok, thanks for not answering my question! Next time I need someone to piss in my cheerios I give you a call!

Oh and go troll someone elses thread while I enjoy my kickass phone!

Last edited:

cacherpaderp

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks for not answering my question! Next time I need someone to piss in my cheerios I give you a call!

Oh and go troll someone elses thread while I enjoy my kickass phone!

He's just upset & jealous because he's stuck with a MoPho.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So the headlines this morning is that Google will use the OMAP chip for ICS. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since they bought out/ merged with Motorola. The problem I'm having is why did they want to go with a inferior chip set? I mean when the Nexus One came out they used the Snap Dragon because that was the best thing out at the time and when Froyo came out, it did wonders for that phone with JIT. JIT did not work so well or did not get that 400% speed boost on other processors. When the Nexus S came out it used the Hummingbird chip and as you can see that the Nexus S is still holding its own quite well against other dual core phones.

My point being is that from personally playing around with Epic Touch 4G for a few hours last night, the Exynos is a freaking monster of a chip. I could only imagine what kind of a beast it would truely become if it was used as a reference chip. If Verizon is getting a Droid Prime, don't kid yourself by thinking its going to be the same phone as this beast. It will most likely be a variation of the Droid Bonic just like how the Nexus S was a variation of the Galaxy S. Now i'm Pissed, I really wanted Verizon to have THIS phone ( same processor and screen size ). I have yet to play with the bonic, but I have played with the Droid X2 which also uses the Omap chip but with half the ram, and you can't even put the two phones ( Epic Touch 4G ) in the same zip code when it comes to performance, hell my rooted and voodooed Fascinate felt just as fast.

Oh well..... end rant.

Where did you get the ludicrous idea that the OMAP is an inferior chip? It isn't. Coupled with the exynos' gpu it could more than keep up. Stripping out the gpus, the exynos and OMAP are damn near identical. The OMAP 4460 is the chip that will be the reference chip, and it can easily go toe to toe with the best samsung has to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Whoa slow down there buddy, no need to act like your crap don't stink because your just jealous. There is really nothing bad about this phone. The only problem is the problem that you mentioned which is the potential lack of support, but thats what rooting and roming is for. I'm sure this phone will have root access in a week since the source code was openly leaked already.

Its okay the phone is faster than your phone as it currently sits. Your going to have to get ICS to keep up.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Without question the Eptouch 4G is the fastest (in regards to overall function) compared to any smartphone I have ever used. Eptouch will handle ICS as good as any, I'm sure. Let's just hope Samsung is better with providing software updates, otherwise it's not going to matter what chip they base it off of, because we won't get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome