E4GT crashing while turned off -- 3rd party charger issue?

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I got my E4GT on Friday, and three times now I've had it crash while it was just sitting on a table minding its own business with the screen off. The first two times it was charging, and the third time it wasn't. But each time I'll find the phone with the password/PIN screen on but unable to press any keys or turn it off with the power button. A soft reset (holding the power button until it reboots) has worked each time.

I haven't done anything unusual to the phone at all, just installed the same apps that were on my Evo 4G. Otherwise, it's been a great phone but I will need to return this phone if it keeps doing this. But unless I have an idea of what's causing this problem I am hesitant to get the same phone again because who knows when Samsung/Sprint would release a fix if it were a more common issue.

Last edited:

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Update:

So, it seems that my weird 'crashing while turned off/screen off' issue might have been due to my using a 3rd party USB charging 'block' (iPhone-style, bought from eBay). Even though it worked great with my Evo 4G for months, it seems to cause problems with my E4GT. When using the 3rd party USB charging 'block', the password screen goes 'funny' while plugged in -- that is, buttons will press by themselves.

I think actually the phone might not have crashed before, but rather the screen/phone might have been non-responsive because it was plugged into the 3rd party charging 'block', so that unplugging might fix that issue without a soft reset (although I never tried it).

I tested out my theory by using the official Samsung USB charging 'block' and it did not cause any password screen issues (buttons pressed by themselves) with either the official Samsung micro USB cable or my 3rd party micro USB cable.

Anyway, it's too bad that I can't use my multiple 3rd party USB charging 'blocks', but I don't even know where to buy additional OEM Samsung USB charging 'blocks'. Checked online at Samsung and Amazon, etc., but no luck so far. If anyone knows of where to get one, please let me know. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro