Sprint specifically notes as a reference a speed of 600 kbps for 3G speed.

Just thought that was interesting as I'm thinking it's a fair bit lower than most other carriers?

Not complaining, just noting.
    09-19-2011 09:24 AM
    In Chicago I average around 175k/sec which is unacceptable to me, would be very happy with a solid 600k/sec.

ATT's 3G is as fast as Sprint's 4G
    09-19-2011 09:40 AM
    In Chicago I average around 175k/sec which is unacceptable to me, would be very happy with a solid 600k/sec.

ATT's 3G is as fast as Sprint's 4G
    This is absolutely correct. As it stands right now at least everywhere I have tested in Chicago, AT&T's 3G is equal to Sprint's 4G
    09-19-2011 09:47 AM
    I average about 750kb/s 3G in the Austin area. It's pretty slow IMO.
    09-19-2011 09:50 AM
    I am straight up in the boonies at the moment.

Which do I believe?

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
    09-19-2011 09:55 AM
    This is absolutely correct. As it stands right now at least everywhere I have tested in Chicago, AT&T's 3G is equal to Sprint's 4G
    Are you going to get the Galaxy S II on ATT this weekend ? How do you like ATT overall in Chicago area ? I think I am done with Sprint, the speeds are just horrible, and with the upcoming iPhone5 eating up bandwidth, I can only imagine how bad it will get.
    09-19-2011 09:55 AM
    Question. Is it 600 kbps or 600 kB/s? When we're thinking downloads most people think about what our computer browser download agents are telling us. That speed is measured in kilobytes or megabytes per second. Throughput as advertised by ISP's or cell companies is in kilobits or megabits per second. As a reference there are 8-bits in one byte. So 600 kbps is really 75 kBps. I'm sure a lot of people on here know this, but in that same token I've met a ton of educated people who don't and misinterpret their network speeds. I'm not saying Sprint's throughput is good or bad, I'm just pointing out a technicality that could be skewing some people's views. Kind of like looking at kilometers per hour and miles per hour. Speed Test can convert that for you under the settings.

I'm personally okay with them because of unlimited data (that's usable where I live), never dropping a call on me, an abundance of wifi where I work and go to school, and because my company gave me a Verizon 4G hotspot lol. YMMV.
    09-19-2011 10:25 AM
    Are you going to get the Galaxy S II on ATT this weekend ? How do you like ATT overall in Chicago area ? I think I am done with Sprint, the speeds are just horrible, and with the upcoming iPhone5 eating up bandwidth, I can only imagine how bad it will get.
    I'm seriously considering the GSII on AT&T, but you got me thinking about the Prime coming possibly the 24th of November. I have to agree, I'm about done with Sprint also. The data speeds at least on 3G are unusable
    09-19-2011 10:32 AM
    I'm seriously considering the GSII on AT&T, but you got me thinking about the Prime coming possibly the 24th of November. I have to agree, I'm about done with Sprint also. The data speeds at least on 3G are unusable
    I am itching to dump Sprint due to crap speeds and useless indoors lately for me. The ATT Galaxy S II matches closer to the original international version, which I like, I think the 4.3" screen is just right, plus it is even thinner than Sprint's version.

The Prime rumors are just "rumors" still. It is coming to Verizon first, and they are too pricey for me. ATT and others will be getting it, but could be December or January, no one knows.
    09-19-2011 11:11 AM
    I am itching to dump Sprint due to crap speeds and useless indoors lately for me. The ATT Galaxy S II matches closer to the original international version, which I like, I think the 4.3" screen is just right, plus it is even thinner than Sprint's version.

The Prime rumors are just "rumors" still. It is coming to Verizon first, and they are too pricey for me. ATT and others will be getting it, but could be December or January, no one knows.
    Yeah you're probably right. I also like the AT&T version a little better. The screen looks even being a touch smaller, especially since it's only 800x480
    09-19-2011 11:19 AM
    I'm definitely frustrated by Sprint's data speeds. I actually find the Epic 4g Touch to be a tad better than my Photon so I'm comfortable it isn't my phone. In terms of the 4.52" screen, I don't even feel like I notice a difference because of how thin and light this phone is. Most people don't realize its any bigger.
    09-19-2011 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD