Personal Review of the Epic Touch 4G

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've had the phone since launch day. Actually had two of them, but returned one to sprint this morning. Kept the second one to do additional testing...

Now, let me preface that I have been a smartphone user since the early Treo days, and usually an early adopter to every new phone tech...

I awaited the ET4G because unlike most, I really enjoyed my Samsung Epic, except for the bad updates from Samsung. That said the screen on that phone was amazing and the ET4G is nothing short of that.

I love quality of the camera, and the video playback and recording. Touchwiz is actually easy to use, even though it has been much maligned in the past.

The phone is thin and sexy and that is always a plus.

BUT.....

I've posted in a few threads before, so I don't want to be a complete buzzkill....

I find reception to be not as good as on the Motorola Photon, which I had and returned to get this phone. Most people here are reporting decent GPS locks. My phone can't lock onto my position at all. I don't live in a bunker, but rather in an easy one level home in a good coverage area.

My Wifi is not connecting to any router with a WPA/WPA2 password. There goes using wifi to download the huge game files I wanted to play...

My earpiece distorts all incoming calls, to the point that I can't understand the person who is calling. The speakerphone does the same at the higher volumes.

I have a slight delay when moving the lock screen off. It's sort of like a short flash before I get to the regular screens. It's not super bothersome, but I see it.

Many have reported how the audio jack is bad in the phone. That is disappointing.

So, there is a possibility that my phone is just defective, but then again, that's what I have kind of come to expect from Samsung ( build quality of Epic to Epic was kind of suspect).

There features that I would I would have liked, such as higher resolution, but I was willing to live with those shortcomings... I'm not a fan of living with the ones listed above. I may try to exchange the phone (again) tomorrow, but it's so hard to find one, that I am not really expecting any success.

I know everyone is in love with their new device, but I really wish I could say the same at this point. The GPS thing really bugs me to no end. It was the biggest issue we had on the original Epic and I am dealing with it again.... :mad:

Last edited:

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've had the phone since launch day. Actually had two of them, but returned one to sprint this morning. Kept the second one to do additional testing...

Now, let me preface that I have been a smartphone user since the early Treo days, and usually an early adopter to every new phone tech...

I awaited the ET4G because unlike most, I really enjoyed my Samsung Epic, except for the bad updates from Samsung. That said the screen on that phone was amazing and the ET4G is nothing short of that.

I love quality of the camera, and the video playback and recording. Touchwiz is actually easy to use, even though it has been much maligned in the past.

The phone is thin and sexy and that is always a plus.

BUT.....

I've posted in a few threads before, so I don't want to be a complete buzzkill....

I find reception to be not as good as on the Motorola Photon, which I had and returned to get this phone. Most people here are reporting decent GPS locks. My phone can't lock onto my position at all. I don't live in a bunker, but rather in an easy one level home in a good coverage area.

My earpiece distorts all incoming calls, to the point that I can't understand the person who is calling. The speakerphone does the same at the higher volumes.

I have a slight delay when moving the lock screen off. It's sort of like a short flash before I get to the regular screens. It's not super bothersome, but I see it.

Many have reported how the audio jack is bad in the phone. That is disappointing.

So, there is a possibility that my phone is just defective, but then again, that's what I have kind of come to expect from Samsung ( build quality of Epic to Epic was kind of suspect).

There features that I would I would have liked, such as higher resolution, but I was willing to live with those shortcomings... I'm not a fan of living with the ones listed above. I may try to exchange the phone (again) tomorrow, but it's so hard to find one, that I am not really expecting any success.

I know everyone is in love with their new device, but I really wish I could say the same at this point. The GPS thing really bugs me to no end. It was the biggest issue we had on the original Epic and I am dealing with it again.... :mad:

As far as the hardware faults you mention, I honestly dont have any of those problems. My GPS locks fast (within 10 seconds) and I have zero audio trouble with the earpiece and speaker. One thing I have not tried yet is the audio jack, so I will test that. I believe you have a faulty product and should exchange immediately.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As far as the hardware faults you mention, I honestly dont have any of those problems. My GPS locks fast (within 10 seconds) and I have zero audio trouble with the earpiece and speaker. One thing I have not tried yet is the audio jack, so I will test that. I believe you have a faulty product and should exchange immediately.

+1 my device is nothing like that. Must be a flawed one.

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it is faulty too. I just hate the whole exchanging process. I guess I will head out there tomorrow. EDIT (it is unavailable at any of the Best Buy stores in my area).

Last edited:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
+2
He got a bad one

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking it is faulty too. I just hate the whole exchanging process. I guess I will head out there tomorrow. EDIT (it is unavailable at any of the Best Buy stores in my area).
If in your shoes I would take back get refund & purchase at Sprint corp store.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with mine thus far. I only tend to use headphones when I'm walking around my college campus and at the gym so audio the quality issue isn't something I've noticed. I personally think for non audiophiles that particularly aspect of the phone isn't going to be an issue.

Call quality on the other hand is noticeably superior to my OG Epic 4G.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No trolling here guys but honestly is this phone going to be like the EPIC fail that the Epic 4g was thats still plagued by many quality issues????? The main problem here is that the phone fails big time to connect to the network and explains why it takes even most mobile pages 25 seconds to load past half way and then another 30 seconds for the full page to load. I've been on the phone with Sprint Technical support for almost and our and have tried out at least 4 different things and we are getting now where. The problem I see with the phone is that it takes a long time to connect to the server which has nothing to do with Sprints network but the poor antenna's in the phone maybe. We also did a speed test on Sprint.com/speedtest and the Ping = 498 dwnld = .20mbs and upld= .013 mbps. To make matters worse it actually took 2 minutes to complete each test in which we had to take 3 test. If the problem which is the only problem i'm encountering other than missing widgets persist i'm going to have to hang it up on this Sammy.. I refuse to be glamatized by a big beautiful screen and a superb camera...I must have fast connecting internet!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL