Android OS over 60+%

killadon

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It's like your computer. If you open up task manager with what you think is nothing running you'll that there is still activity going that you don't see. All operating system run this way. Now I think you might have mistaken what I said before. It breaking down in a 100% rating of what your phone has been using the battery for. Let's say it only shows 5 things. It breaks those 5 things down in a percentage (example wallpaper 5%) now that's not saying 5% of your battery was used. It's say 5% of the 5 things things showing has used your battery. How much was actually used. No one knows. I hope I explains that a little better this time.

gravyhead

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
9 Hours to dead here. Android OS uses 60% of my CPU, hardly used it at all, outside of a few emails and browsing a bit.

xda seems to see this bug pop lots of different ways. Some say wifi sharing, some say widgets, some say ... ?

I'll dig more into it tonight. Hopefully I'll find something.

Nrbelex

May 20, 2011
nrbelex.com
Just wanted to point out this is being discussed in two threads over at XDA:

"Android OS" consuming battery - xda-developers

Battery Life Bug - Heads Up - xda-developers

Might help in pinning it down, but it seems like a long-standing bug for Samsung devices which was supposed to have been fixed in 2.3.4

I should also note some people report success restarting the phone after unplugging from the charger. e.g. Wake up (after letting it charge all night), unplug the phone, restart, go on your merry way. I find that while this might help, "Android OS" is still a top CPU user/ battery drainer.

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
What running applications do you guys have when you first start your phone? I'm fairly new to android, so this probably has nothing to do with Android OS, but is there a way to stop social hub and some of the other apps from constantly running at start up?

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had the phone sitting idle for the last 15 hours and the OS is taking up 35%.

This is a brand new phone with no apps installed. Only what came with the phone.

Seems to me its a software problem that Samsung has to fix.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Got my phone yesterday and played with it all day doing tons of downloads and my Android os never went above 10 and this morning with the phone being idle all night it's at 34!!!

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
For those people with really high OS Usage, do you have the Motion stuff turned on? I seem to remember CM7 had a bug with that and it would cause a partial wake lock and drain the battery really fast.

My battery is pretty much dead today after 9 hours, and only about 2 hours of use, with motion turned on, I have turned it off now to see if that fixes the issue.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
For those people with really high OS Usage, do you have the Motion stuff turned on? I seem to remember CM7 had a bug with that and it would cause a partial wake lock and drain the battery really fast.

My battery is pretty much dead today after 9 hours, and only about 2 hours of use, with motion turned on, I have turned it off now to see if that fixes the issue.

I turned off Motion and it doesn't seem to make a big difference. I made another thread about having poor battery life and I saw suggestions to turn off any live wallpapers and Go Launcher, so that's what I did and will see how the battery holds up today.

Also with nothing running right now I'm getting 97% Android OS and 2% Cell standby. Those are the ONLY things on my list right now...

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Negative, turned that off right at the get-go. Never liked those features on any phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What's weird is I'm not seeing these issues. When I barely used my phone today, Android OS was by far the largest chunk of my battery use. But after I played some Angry Birds and did a few other things, the attached shots is where I sit now.

As of this post I have 65% battery life left. I have all syncs on, and have had everything but 4G on all day (I know it shows WiFi off in the shots, but I had just turned it off about 10 mins ago).

Seems pretty normal use doesn't it?

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
So both me and my wife have this phone. She works in an office all day and hardly uses it and is pulling 60%+ OS. She doesn't have any mods whatsoever. Her awake time is much higher than her display time. My phone stays under 18% at all times (average 13%) and I use my phone all damn day. This is a tough one to figure out

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I possibly had an epiphany, turn roaming to sprint only and report back if your OS went down

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I possibly had an epiphany, turn roaming to sprint only and report back if your OS went down

LOL just had to make it worse didnt ya? We are having huge problems with all 4 lines on our account today our towers went down in the area so have been roaming for oh only 8 hrs now!! So my battery sucks right now well thats what I keep telling tech support even though its not haha but I keep checking back here for the high android os and still nothing.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm. Telling you.... The only difference between mine and my wife's phone is the roaming setting. Hers has high OS% while. Mine doesn't set at sprint only. I just changed hers, will. Report back

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

After an hour unplugged on my wife's phone the OS is at 11% since changing that setting. Will continue to monitor

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This is where I am currently sitting. I rebooted the phone last night, plugged it in and went to bed. Watchdog its showing the suspend process taking 99.9% of cpu where last night something called event/0 was taking around 35%. So it must be an app or process not letting the phone sleep. I think todayI am going to factory reset and slowly enable things like sync and roaming and see if that changes anything

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk