12-08-2011 01:50 PM
92 1234
tools
    I've had this issue with both my new E4GT and my old Evo 4G. It seems to happen with certain non-OEM charging USB 'blocks' and/or cables. With the E4GT, using the charger included with it has solved the problem, which I narrowed down to some USB wall charging blocks (e.g. looks like the iPhone USB wall charging block but black) that I bought from eBay (but that worked fine with my Evo 4G). Non-OEM micro USB cables that I've used seem to be fine though.
    In my experience, this occurs when charging from an AC adapter that has the incorrect voltage...or a bad USB cable.
    ^ this. There are probably a bad bunch of power supplies being shipped out.

Does it do this out of the box after a hard reset with no apps installed? Ehem like evil task killers or juice defenders or whatever they call them?

Also, word of advice. Don't ever go cheap on power supplies, cables, or batteries. You are only asking for trouble. Instead shop around for the lowest priced OEM replacements only.
    09-24-2011 01:13 AM
    Don't return the phone yet. I had the exact same problem, but it went away after a couple of days. So give it some time to see if it gets better.
    ok well just an update on my part. After one night of using my Hero adapter, I decided to try the included ET adapter tonight and it works just fine now. The only thing I changed was that I noticed I forgot to take the plastic off the adapter, so I took it off. I doubt this had anything to do with it, but who knows. All I know is that it's working just fine now on the same wall socket with the same USB cable.

*edit*
    Spoke too soon. It's screwed up again after about an hour of charging =/ Back to the Hero adapter it is.
    09-24-2011 05:17 AM
    If I want to get a longer usb cable(the one in box is ridiculously short), would anyone have any recommendations or any they could link me to? Like cory said I don't want to cheap out on this, I don't think all cables are created equal lol
    09-24-2011 05:33 AM
    If I want to get a longer usb cable(the one in box is ridiculously short), would anyone have any recommendations or any they could link me to? Like cory said I don't want to cheap out on this, I don't think all cables are created equal lol
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...too-small.html
    09-24-2011 05:42 AM
    Hey, there is an app for that.......

Set it to Optimized and you will be good to go!!!

SGS Touchscreen Booster:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
    09-24-2011 06:43 AM
    I've been using my evo 3d charger without any issues. Luckily I have 3 of them.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    09-24-2011 07:28 AM
    As far a chargers, at the store we hear people al the time I can get that at "xxxxx' for less. True but ours at the Sprint store have a warranty 1 year on defects and wont cause issues down the road.

If you need to do a screen test or a few others *#0#*
    09-24-2011 08:29 AM
    I have this problem as well. I'm using the stock wall charger. Have had the problem from day one before all the apps were installed.

I think it's a pretty well known problem now, but I'm not freaking out about it.

Sent from my Epic Touch
    09-24-2011 09:11 AM
    I'm having this problem as well. Weird thing is that some days it's worse than others from different outlets. It will lag and freeze up while charging BUT it only acts like that for about 30 minutes on the charger. After that time elapses it acts fine while charging. I'm not too worried about but only concern is that if it is indeed a voltage issue could this damage the phone in the long run??
    09-24-2011 10:20 AM
    Me too. Same problem with the stock charger. However, it works with my Palm Pre charger just fine.
    09-24-2011 01:49 PM
    Same problem. I connected it through a surge protector and got lag. I then switched surge to another outlet and no more issues.
    09-24-2011 02:35 PM
    I've been having this problem ever since I got my brand new Epic 4G touch a few days ago. I don't know why it's doing this since I'm using the wall charger that came with the damn phone! It gets really annoying when this happens and I hope Samsung comes out with a fix real soon.
    09-24-2011 03:44 PM
    Called Samsung. The issue with the AC adapter is not in their knowledge base yet. The CSR wanted me to return the phone. I said no. Then he said if I can confirm it is indeed the adapter (I don't currently have another one), I can contact them and just send the adapter in.
    09-24-2011 04:47 PM
    I have been having this issue as well. Couple observations. When i use a droid 2 charger, i have no issues. The samsung charger seems to be the trigger but more importantly, the touch screen is not useable...the phone is fine its just the inputs dont work. Makes me thing the charger isnt regulating voltage and causing a short internally in the touchscreen grid.
    09-24-2011 04:50 PM
    The samsung charger seems to be the trigger but more importantly, the touch screen is not useable...the phone is fine its just the inputs dont work. Makes me thing the charger isnt regulating voltage and causing a short internally in the touchscreen grid.
    If this is true, they need to own up quickly and send out new charges because it's a pain in the neck. The phone (or most current smart phones) doesn't exactly hold a charge for long so it's nice to be able to use the phone while it's plugged into an outlet.
    09-25-2011 08:32 AM
    I have this charger: Amazon.com: Samsung ATADU10JBEBSTD Travel Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's 5 feet, OEM, and is fulfilled directly through Amazon.

While you're at it, if you're going to be using GPS and Navigation in the car, you are going to want this charger: Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It output's a full 1,000 mA, an important number if you actually want to be charging and using battery intensive apps. The most recent review hit it on the head when he/she say ONLY buy this from Amazon, not one of their affiliates. Half the 700 positive reviews are probably from me recommending this charger for every new phone forum discussion that's released on the boards.
    cpuOahu likes this.
    09-25-2011 09:53 AM
    i had this problem with my htc evo charger on my epic 4g but when i use the charger that came with the phone everything works fine!
    09-26-2011 12:00 AM
    I dont know why.. but for some reason I remember reading there was an issue with monoprice cables? Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise I might go for the one Cory posted maybe. Its not too big a deal, the actual charger.. block.. thing is fine, I just need a longer cable lol, but if theres a better charger Ill just get the better charger.
    09-26-2011 04:42 AM
    I dont know why.. but for some reason I remember reading there was an issue with monoprice cables? Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise I might go for the one Cory posted maybe. Its not too big a deal, the actual charger.. block.. thing is fine, I just need a longer cable lol, but if theres a better charger Ill just get the better charger.
    I'm using the monoprice cable and I have no issues using the phone when it's plugged in.
    09-26-2011 05:23 AM
    I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but ever since I rooted my phone on Saturday I haven't had this issue. I installed a few apps after that (tether, adAway) but that's about the only difference I've made.
    10-04-2011 07:36 PM
    Had the issue for a couple of days when I first got the phone but haven't had it happen again for 10 days or so.
    10-04-2011 10:01 PM
    I might be able to shed some light on the cause, although not being an EE I can't suggest a solution. I experience this problem when charging my phone inductively with a Pre Touchstone following a mod to support Touchstone charging. What I found is that the problem goes away when the phone is charged (which may explain intermittent results -- it did in my experimenting for a while). The problem also goes away when I connect the phone to my car stereo via a phono cable. I found that odd so I opened the phone and did some experimenting.

When I ground either the ground wire in the phono plug or the ground wire on the USB port to a sink like my body, my car, etc the digitizer works perfectly. As soon as I let go of that wire, it acts up again. Clearly the phone (or the digitizer more specifically) doesn't like to charge without being connected to a proper ground.

My guess is that in the chargers that cause digitizer problems, the voltage is being stepped down with a transformer that's isolating the DC ground from a proper ground. In fact, this might be typical of all AC/DC adapters since they are all two-pronged. Chargers that don't create this weirdness must supply the type of ground that the phone likes. It might just require a larger piece of metal or something (again, I'm no EE).

If you want to test this out, see if you can put yourself in electrical contact with the shield on either USB connector of the wire used to charge the phone. If the situation is similar to mine, the problem will go away when you are in contact with the shield and come back when you let go.

-darren
    10-04-2011 11:16 PM
    I've been using my old WebOS Pre car charger with this phone (S2) without any issues, but that came with a short cable for those that need longer cables. I think its only a foot long.

Don't know if its ground like the above poster is talking about.

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-04-2011 11:25 PM
    I would guess that car chargers, going from DC12V to DV5V, probably use the chassis ground of the car and would never have this problem. I think this is going to happen strictly with AC chargers (or inductive charging).

-darren
    10-04-2011 11:28 PM
    I'm having the issue as well. Should I go to the phone store and ask them about it?
    10-05-2011 12:46 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD