Screen unusable while connected to AC charger!!

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
This is going on as discussion over at androidforums, but I haven't read someone reporting it on androidcentral, so I want to inquire and establish if only some phones are affected by this problem or is it well widespread issue. Basically, what is happening is that when I connect my phone to supplied wall charger, the screen becomes totally unusable. Screen taps become inconsistent, for example typing on phone keyboard becomes real hard, clicking on the message text area sometimes bring up the input method dialog screen which would otherwise only appear after you have press and hold that text input area.

So far in my experience this only occurs when charging from a ac adapter, and problem disappears when charging from usb pc outlet. So high amperage may have something do with it. I dont have extra adapters lying around so cant fully establish if its the samsung supplied wall charger, or high amperage alone. Is anyone here experiencing something similar??

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have not had that problem. Have used the supplied ac charger and have used the Sprint travel charger. Can use the phone with not prob;ems. Sounds like a defective unit. Test with another charger first because it could be the ac charger.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No problems here. I have use my HTC usb to computer and a old Samsung Reclaim wall charger with no problems ( knocking on wood)

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had this happening last night. Brand new unit, nothing done to it other install a few market apps. Even tried rebooting, no resolve.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Return it for another brand new phone. Do it today. You have a rare defect. If they will not replace it with a brand new phone, return it and then buy another.

Marley

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen on my EVO 3d with a specific charger I got at WalMart....returned it and got the same model...same thing....returned one last time...same thing. It doesn't happen with the HTC charger ....just whatever charger it is that WalMart sells. Tried at home and office...same thing....so not my electrical outlits. If I hold my hand at the top and bottom of the phone real tight, the screen becomes useable again...weird.

rasbutan

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I have had this happen on my EVO 3d with a specific charger I got at WalMart....returned it and got the same model...same thing....returned one last time...same thing. It doesn't happen with the HTC charger ....just whatever charger it is that WalMart sells. Tried at home and office...same thing....so not my electrical outlits. If I hold my hand at the top and bottom of the phone real tight, the screen becomes useable again...weird.

Ditto on the Walmart charger. I can use the screen fine when USB charging, walmart wall charger makes the screen unresponsive.

jnickol

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. Noticed it last night. I tried to use my phone connected to the ac adapter, the phone became extremely laggy and taps were inaccurate. It even started deleting stuff off my home screen. Is this a defective phone or charger?

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue with both my new E4GT and my old Evo 4G. It seems to happen with certain non-OEM charging USB 'blocks' and/or cables. With the E4GT, using the charger included with it has solved the problem, which I narrowed down to some USB wall charging blocks (e.g. looks like the iPhone USB wall charging block but black) that I bought from eBay (but that worked fine with my Evo 4G). Non-OEM micro USB cables that I've used seem to be fine though.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
This is happening to me with the charger that came with the phone. Doesn't seem to happen (or at least not as much) with my old Palm Pre charger.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue with both my new E4GT and my old Evo 4G. It seems to happen with certain non-OEM charging USB 'blocks' and/or cables. With the E4GT, using the charger included with it has solved the problem, which I narrowed down to some USB wall charging blocks (e.g. looks like the iPhone USB wall charging block but black) that I bought from eBay (but that worked fine with my Evo 4G). Non-OEM micro USB cables that I've used seem to be fine though.

But I am using the stock supplied samsung's wall charger and I have this problem. One thing in common is that it is small, iphone style, black wall charger. I love this phone and dont want to return it. But I am facing another issue where its not recognizing my sd card, so it may have to be exchanged. As others have suggested, I will use it for few days and see if this screen problem goes away..

bustaone

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's wall socket or power strip grounding problem. My evo does it sometimes with certain plugins. Just change sockets and it should work.

cpuOahu

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I'm using the Samsung cable and AC adapter that came with the phone. I tried 3 different outlets. The instant I unplug the device, the screen works as it should. No problems with USB charging on my computer.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Also, my samsung wall charger gets really warm when it is charging the phone. Do other chargers also get warm? Its understandable its because of current flow, but should they get warm?

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is going on as discussion over at androidforums, but I haven't read someone reporting it on androidcentral, so I want to inquire and establish if only some phones are affected by this problem or is it well widespread issue. Basically, what is happening is that when I connect my phone to supplied wall charger, the screen becomes totally unusable. Screen taps become inconsistent, for example typing on phone keyboard becomes real hard, clicking on the message text area sometimes bring up the input method dialog screen which would otherwise only appear after you have press and hold that text input area.

So far in my experience this only occurs when charging from a ac adapter, and problem disappears when charging from usb pc outlet. So high amperage may have something do with it. I dont have extra adapters lying around so cant fully establish if its the samsung supplied wall charger, or high amperage alone. Is anyone here experiencing something similar??

In my experience, this occurs when charging from an AC adapter that has the incorrect voltage...or a bad USB cable.

kaibiti916

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have this happening to my epic and wife's Epic touch from a wall charger I got from Walmart. Mine even goes as far sending blank emails. Weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463