Screen unusable while connected to AC charger!!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have this charger: Amazon.com: Samsung ATADU10JBEBSTD Travel Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's 5 feet, OEM, and is fulfilled directly through Amazon.

While you're at it, if you're going to be using GPS and Navigation in the car, you are going to want this charger: Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

It output's a full 1,000 mA, an important number if you actually want to be charging and using battery intensive apps. The most recent review hit it on the head when he/she say ONLY buy this from Amazon, not one of their affiliates. Half the 700 positive reviews are probably from me recommending this charger for every new phone forum discussion that's released on the boards.

Reactions: cpuOahu

t0t

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I dont know why.. but for some reason I remember reading there was an issue with monoprice cables? Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise I might go for the one Cory posted maybe. Its not too big a deal, the actual charger.. block.. thing is fine, I just need a longer cable lol, but if theres a better charger Ill just get the better charger. :p

I'm using the monoprice cable and I have no issues using the phone when it's plugged in.

justinblott

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but ever since I rooted my phone on Saturday I haven't had this issue. I installed a few apps after that (tether, adAway) but that's about the only difference I've made.

darrenf

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I might be able to shed some light on the cause, although not being an EE I can't suggest a solution. I experience this problem when charging my phone inductively with a Pre Touchstone following a mod to support Touchstone charging. What I found is that the problem goes away when the phone is charged (which may explain intermittent results -- it did in my experimenting for a while). The problem also goes away when I connect the phone to my car stereo via a phono cable. I found that odd so I opened the phone and did some experimenting.

When I ground either the ground wire in the phono plug or the ground wire on the USB port to a sink like my body, my car, etc the digitizer works perfectly. As soon as I let go of that wire, it acts up again. Clearly the phone (or the digitizer more specifically) doesn't like to charge without being connected to a proper ground.

My guess is that in the chargers that cause digitizer problems, the voltage is being stepped down with a transformer that's isolating the DC ground from a proper ground. In fact, this might be typical of all AC/DC adapters since they are all two-pronged. Chargers that don't create this weirdness must supply the type of ground that the phone likes. It might just require a larger piece of metal or something (again, I'm no EE).

If you want to test this out, see if you can put yourself in electrical contact with the shield on either USB connector of the wire used to charge the phone. If the situation is similar to mine, the problem will go away when you are in contact with the shield and come back when you let go.

-darren

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my old WebOS Pre car charger with this phone (S2) without any issues, but that came with a short cable for those that need longer cables. I think its only a foot long.

Don't know if its ground like the above poster is talking about.

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

darrenf

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that car chargers, going from DC12V to DV5V, probably use the chassis ground of the car and would never have this problem. I think this is going to happen strictly with AC chargers (or inductive charging).

-darren

slschmidt76

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am actually using the wall charger that came with my EVO and have had no issues at all. Never took the Samsung charger out of the box. Mabe it's only that charger. Now I will have to test that theory out!

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have 4 Samsung Galaxy 2 S that just arrived today. I activated one of them, downloaded some apps, and tested 4G(good but 3G is pretty bad). Battery ran low so I charge it and it went beserk! I thought Navionics Marine app was causing the problem so I rebooted it while charging. Screen was unresponsive again. I disconnected from the stock charger and it works fine. I open the other phone and charge it with it's own stock charger and the screen was working fine. I switch wall charger and got a problem with the unactivated phone while the problem with the activated phone went away using a different stock charger.

SO IT IS DEFINITELY A FAULTY STOCK CHARGER! Going back to Sprint and see if they will swap out a charger.

I swapped cables just to make sure and for good measure, broke out my charger for the Kodak Playsports(1amp charger also) and test those and swap out the cable also. No problem with cable or Playsports charger. It was a defective charging block that came with one of the Samsung Galaxy 2 S.

Last edited:

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It is an intermittent issue with the stock Samsung charger (usb cable ok) - it never occurs with my HTC Hero charger using the Samsung cable. I have tried this on 3 Epic 4G Touch phones (and their stock chargers).

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It is an intermittent issue with the stock Samsung charger (usb cable ok) - it never occurs with my HTC Hero charger using the Samsung cable. I have tried this on 3 Epic 4G Touch phones (and their stock chargers).

It happens to me with the stock charger, Evo charger, Pre charger and regular Epic 4g charger so it's not the charger.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Mines only does this with the stock wall ac unit. I use the stock usb charger cable plugged into anything else computer, evo / 3d / epic 4g wall ac adapter units & it's fine! Though my unit didn't have a negative response with every single use, it is the charger & I've abandon it completely weeks ago & haven't had this issue return...

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have 4 Samsung Galaxy 2 S that just arrived today. I activated one of them, downloaded some apps, and tested 4G(good but 3G is pretty bad). Battery ran low so I charge it and it went beserk! I thought Navionics Marine app was causing the problem so I rebooted it while charging. Screen was unresponsive again. I disconnected from the stock charger and it works fine. I open the other phone and charge it with it's own stock charger and the screen was working fine. I switch wall charger and got a problem with the unactivated phone while the problem with the activated phone went away using a different stock charger.

SO IT IS DEFINITELY A FAULTY STOCK CHARGER! Going back to Sprint and see if they will swap out a charger.

I swapped cables just to make sure and for good measure, broke out my charger for the Kodak Playsports(1amp charger also) and test those and swap out the cable also. No problem with cable or Playsports charger. It was a defective charging block that came with one of the Samsung Galaxy 2 S.

Keep us posted on the return process. No need in a faulty wall ac sitting in my closet, even though I have plenty I paid for this thing it should work properly...

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted on the return process. No need in a faulty wall ac sitting in my closet, even though I have plenty I paid for this thing it should work properly...

I still have two more phones to test out thoroughly after activating. If I find one with bad GPS then I will simply pair them together and exchange for a whole new one.

I am coming from an Iphone 3GS on a super slow T-mobile edge speed for the last 2 years so it doesn't take much 3G/4G speed to impress me. So far on the newly activated phone, the GPS is flawless(locks in under 15 secs), and I test the Sprint Tel Nav and it followed me dead on after I spoke out the address(which it recognized perfectly). I rarely see more than 3 bars except at home but I was still able to get 4G when it was showing 2-3 bars. So far my best 4G with 4 bars is 1.2 MBPS. Since I am paying only $180 plus tax for 4 lines, I consider this the best deal by far among the major carriers. Even better than T-mobile so I am willing to live with a little reception issue.

I waited till the Iphone 4S was announced before ordering and obviously, the 4S did not live up to my expectation. I gave up a familiar interface and all those apps that I have purchased the last 3-4 years to move up to faster speed, bigger screens, and much easier configurations for tinkers like me. The other 3 users like to have things handed to them so I have to test and reconfigure the Galaxy 2 S for them.

I feel that with the Galaxy 2 S, it has the best of both worlds. Mini tablet with 3G/4G speed that makes phone call with a $50(tax included) unlimited plan(except for 1600 minutes to share when calling land lines) is pretty tough to beat. I have the HP touchpad that I got for $99 but that has a big restriction.. no 3G radio/

Reactions: Samsmalls

foxythang74

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Also having the same problem. Had my phone about two weeks and it just started doing this the other night when I plugged into the stock charger. VERY FRUSTRATING! I'll def be keeping my eyes on this post. I also bought the mono... whatever cable and use it everyday at work (paired up the USB cable with my old Ascend wall charger) and not a single problem yet. Also have used another USB cable with different wall charger and no problem either.

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Update: Opened the other two SGS2 phone and tested the chargers with my phone. No problem at all. So one charger out of 4 is defective(grounding issue I guess). All 4 phones have problem when connected to this charger. That is about as conclusive as you can get that one of the charger is bad. I have not returned it yet. I am still putting the second SGS2 phone thru all the test. So far 3g/4g is identical to the first phone despite the fact that I changed the setting(see the other thread about getting faster 3g/4g speed). I was at home testing last night now that speedtest.net is working again. I am getting 300KB to 1.2MBPS for 3G and up to 8MBPS for 4G on both phone. My WiFi is pulling in about 2MBPS to 12MBPS depending on time of day(neighborhood Netflix streaming is the culprit) and where I am around the house.

So far I am very happy with both phones and activating the other two phones to test it out later today.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Update: Opened the other two SGS2 phone and tested the chargers with my phone. No problem at all. So one charger out of 4 is defective(grounding issue I guess). All 4 phones have problem when connected to this charger. That is about as conclusive as you can get that one of the charger is bad. ......

For this problem to manifest, your device should have very little juice. For example, if you connect your device to charger when it has near full battery, your device likely wont exhibit this problem. I just got a replacement epic, and charged it fully, and then tested it for screen issue - no issue was present, but then when juice got down to 25%, I connected it to charger, and sure enough my replacement epic also does the same thing. So make sure you test your devices when they are low on juice.

Reactions: aquaholik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC