EpTouch vs IP5 (What we know)

alanjgarcia

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So I have a close friend that is geared up for the iPhone 5 release and to be honest its getting me angry. He's been the biggest Android fanboy ever since he switched from his iphone 3gs to the evo 4g and always had negative things to say about apple. Now he pulling a complete 180 on me and cant stop talking about the iphone 5. Ive played with iOS5 and quite frankly I am not impressed at all. We argue about android vs. apple all the time now! What am I missing here? I dont see the hardware on the IP5 being any better than my EpTouch.

Thoughts?

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
U played with a beta ios5. Apple never releases all the goodies with betas. We won't know in depth until it's releases to the public. Also, iPhone 5 hasn't even been releases. Apple hasn't even said that it was releasing this yr. So how can we compare any phone to this mythical iPhone 5. Apple is VERY VERY secretive.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
No one knows anything about the iP5 except for the higher ups at Apple and big shots at the carriers that are getting it. As far as iOS 5 is concerned there will certainly be some hidden goodies thrown in at the public release that even developer builds wont see. You can certainly expect the iP5's performance to either match or beat what the Eptouch is rocking now.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So I have a close friend that is geared up for the iPhone 5 release and to be honest its getting me angry. He's been the biggest Android fanboy ever since he switched from his iphone 3gs to the evo 4g and always had negative things to say about apple. Now he pulling a complete 180 on me and cant stop talking about the iphone 5. Ive played with iOS5 and quite frankly I am not impressed at all. We argue about android vs. apple all the time now! What am I missing here? I dont see the hardware on the IP5 being any better than my EpTouch.

Thoughts?

I don't see that you are missing anything except that fact that different people like different things in phones / cars / clothes, etc....

Don't worry about it - you and he are entitled to your own opinions and there is no objective right/wrong answer!

BTW, I'm with you - I've never understood Apple's proprietary / closed / sealed-unit philosophy.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Thoughts?

If you're speaking of raw specs, the iP5 will have a processor that's a cousin of the Exynos, so it will be pretty even there. (but you can't even really compare since the OSes are totally different)

If you're talking about quality, quite frankly, nothing in the Android world measures up to the iPhone. Some (Photon, Bionic, Sensation) come very close, but they're still not the same. The body of the E4GT alone ruins the handset for me, especially compared to the iPhone 4. The screens are about even for quality.

But, you're also comparing the E4GT with a handset that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet.

SpaceDroid

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're speaking of raw specs, the iP5 will have a processor that's a cousin of the Exynos, so it will be pretty even there. (but you can't even really compare since the OSes are totally different)

If you're talking about quality, quite frankly, nothing in the Android world measures up to the iPhone. Some (Photon, Bionic, Sensation) come very close, but they're still not the same. The body of the E4GT alone ruins the handset for me, especially compared to the iPhone 4. The screens are about even for quality.

But, you're also comparing the E4GT with a handset that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet.

Nothing wrong with the body at all. The subtle hump at the bottom is almost a welcomed surpise as it helps to sit in your palm much better. And the curved back helps with the grip. I feel no edges like on the iphone4. And I must emphatically mention how light this phone is. Another welcomed surprise. The lightness of the phone is a great "experience" (Apple term). Everyone loves this. "OMG its so light". That alone makes them want it.. LOL. Little do they know this phone is a beast inside. Holding my brothers iphone4 "ruins" this. Heavier and overal thicker feel and small.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
All I need to know, buying an iPhone locks me into the apple ecosystem. I own three macs and Steve Jobs has enough of my money already, no thanks. I prefer not to be told what I can run on my phone.

SpaceDroid

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
All I need to know, buying an iPhone locks me into the apple ecosystem. I own three macs and Steve Jobs has enough of my money already, no thanks. I prefer not to be told what I can run on my phone.

Just hold an E4GT Galaxy SII and youll know. Andy and Sammy will be smiling with you

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the body at all. The subtle hump at the bottom is almost a welcomed surpise as it helps to sit in your palm much better. And the curved back helps with the grip. I feel no edges like on the iphone4. And I must emphatically mention how light this phone is. Another welcomed surprise. The lightness of the phone is a great "experience" (Apple term). Everyone loves this. "OMG its so light". That alone makes them want it.. LOL. Little do they know this phone is a beast inside. Holding my brothers iphone4 "ruins" this. Heavier and overal thicker feel and small.
I'm talking more the Fisher-Price materials quality than the design. If it had a metal back, or soft touch plastic, it would be fine. In feel alone the E4GT is at the back of the Android pack.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking more the Fisher-Price materials quality than the design. If it had a metal back, or soft touch plastic, it would be fine. In feel alone the E4GT is at the back of the Android pack.

In terms of construction materials and cosmetics, I have to agree - IMO, the S2 looks like a dime-store toy. Again - In My Opinion - not asking anyone to agree or disagree! And I'm quite happy for those who love it!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In terms of construction materials and cosmetics, I have to agree - IMO, the S2 looks like a dime-store toy. Again - In My Opinion - not asking anyone to agree or disagree! And I'm quite happy for those who love it!
Oh me too. I had a Charge, and the positive aspects outweighed any concerns about build. If I were in the market for a handset with Sprint, the S2 would be the only way to go for me.