Article - How to Improve Your Samsung Epic 4G Signal

hbcondo

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
i came across this article last night that describes steps that you can take to improve the phone's 4g signal. i want to try this approach b/c i don't get a 4g signal at work or home and my 3g signal is weak but i'm wondering how legit it is. anyone have experience performing the steps this article is talking about like adjusting system settings values for EntryRX, EntryCINR and more?

How to Improve Your Samsung Epic 4G Signal - Softpedia

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That article is from March 23, 2011 and it's for an Epic 4G. If someone can confirm that this also works for the Epic 4G Touch I would give it a try.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried this but would not install something just to get the MSL. What you could do is call Sprint ask to reprogram the phone and just write down the MSL. Also if you try to do this make sure you right down all your settings before you change anything.

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do is download Terminal Emulator from the market. Write this in notepad "getprop ril.MSL" no quotes of course , copy it. Open terminal and paste it and boom, your msl, all legit, no hacking involved and no sprint involved. :)
If you try and type it straight intop terminal it will always cap the i in ril. Only way I have found to get it to not cap the i is to copy and paste from notepad.

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is download Terminal Emulator from the market. Write this in notepad "getprop ril.MSL" no quotes of course , copy it. Open terminal and paste it and boom, your msl, all legit, no hacking involved and no sprint involved. :)
If you try and type it straight intop terminal it will always cap the i in ril. Only way I have found to get it to not cap the i is to copy and paste from notepad.

I believe it's swype that does the capitalizing. If you use a different keyboard, like the built-in samsung kb or swiftkey (which I use) you don't have the capitalization issue.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks man, nice tip...

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i came across this article last night that describes steps that you can take to improve the phone's 4g signal. i want to try this approach b/c i don't get a 4g signal at work or home and my 3g signal is weak but i'm wondering how legit it is. anyone have experience performing the steps this article is talking about like adjusting system settings values for EntryRX, EntryCINR and more?

How to Improve Your Samsung Epic 4G Signal - Softpedia

I just did this and maybe its just placebo but it seems to work!!!!

Sent from my Sprint Eptouch 4G

Blkthght06

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The good news is that these settings work.....and I tested them at speakeasy.net. I actually increased the wimax timeout to 5 & the idle to 40. I hax the most success increasing the retries to 300. I also got great results from changing the 3g settings.

My only mistake was not writing down my original settings. Can someone post their original settings? Im pretty sure everybody's settings are the same.......maybe except for the httppd proxy server since that may be regional.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The good news is that these settings work.....and I tested them at speakeasy.net. I actually increased the wimax timeout to 5 & the idle to 40. I hax the most success increasing the retries to 300. I also got great results from changing the 3g settings.

My only mistake was not writing down my original settings. Can someone post their original settings? Im pretty sure everybody's settings are the same.......maybe except for the httppd proxy server since that may be regional.

I did write them down and i will post them here either later tonight or tomorrow. I left the paper in a friends car, have to wait for them to call back.

ntborg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Original settings

##3282# EntryRx: -00089
EntryCINR 00006
Multimedia
HTTPD Proxy Address pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTPPD Proxy Port 8085

hbcondo

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
So in multiple cities, my signal ranges from 0 to 2 bars with only 3G available, no 4G. I called sprint today in regards to this and the customer service rep tried a couple of things to increase the signal (she didn't specifically mention what) but nothing worked. She then transferred me to technical support and he asked a few basic questions and determined it's an issue with the phone and not the service itself. He then setup an appointment for me with a sprint service & repair store to have the phone checked out.

Before I go to the store tomorrow, I thought I would try out the suggestions listed in the article, especially since a couple of people here posted they had success. Unfortunately my signal and data speeds remained the same :(

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
So in multiple cities, my signal ranges from 0 to 2 bars with only 3G available, no 4G. I called sprint today in regards to this and the customer service rep tried a couple of things to increase the signal (she didn't specifically mention what) but nothing worked. She then transferred me to technical support and he asked a few basic questions and determined it's an issue with the phone and not the service itself. He then setup an appointment for me with a sprint service & repair store to have the phone checked out.

Before I go to the store tomorrow, I thought I would try out the suggestions listed in the article, especially since a couple of people here posted they had success. Unfortunately my signal and data speeds remained the same :(

I'm going to really test out the changes I made today, then I will know for sure if it is real or just a fantasy

Blkthght06

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Original settings

##3282# EntryRx: -00089
EntryCINR 00006
Multimedia
HTTPD Proxy Address pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTPPD Proxy Port 8085

Very much appreciated. Thanks. Btw, day 2 with the modified settings and I couldn't be more pleased. 4G signal is definitely stronger and it does not drop out compared to the stock settings. I now get a reliable 4G signal at my house. However I don't see increase in data speed. Different story for 3G...for some reason, setting the port to 0 and the proxy address to 0.0.0.0 has doubled my 3G connection....very noticeable. I remember doing a similar hack like this to my sprint Pre and it never occurred to me that it would be available for the GSII. Sprint probably handicaps these phones in an effort to conserve bandwith and reduce load on their network.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Just did it and seems to do something...does anyone notice a difference in battery life? I had a scare: after I changed stuff my LED stayed on and radio wouldn't connect. Did a battery pull and I was all good. Phew*:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae