Help - me switch from Pre- to Epic 4G Touch

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pre- on Sprint and it is on its last legs. I've done quite a bit of research and have settled on the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch! Before I pull the trigger I'd like some advice/hints/tips on what I can do to enhance the experience on my new phone.

- what am I going to like better on my new phone (and Android in particular)
- what won't I like so much (I'd rather know going in)
- one of the things I like about my pre is the ability to patch the heck out of it... what are my options on Android devices? Where do I go for help (this forum I assume?)
- I need a free tether type solution... is that possible? (I plan on using my webos touchpad for a LONG time...)
- what are my 'must have' apps?
- what apps do I need to help me manage my device better? One thing I don't like about Android is the way apps are always running, and having a better launcher... how can I solve for?
- should I strip off the Samsung UI and go native Android? If so - what should I do to enhance that experience?

I went online at Sprint today - and is the cost to upgrade REALLY over $400.00 ??? REALLY??
(if so - goodbye Sprint!)

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My guess is it's only been a year and he's not gold premier, making him only eligible for $75 off. If it makes you feel better op I paid full price and it was worth it.

You can always call sprint and ask for a full upgrade making the phone 199. Good luck

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I went into the store to check - I am able to upgrade for $199.

The Sprint rep was high on the HTC EVO 4G and at $99 - I would save $100.

The other item worth noting is that is is likely the iPhone will be on Sprint sometime before year end. IF that happens then prices on all the Android phones will be dropping... so I'll probably wait a while.

Here is my other issue...

The size of these phones is SO much larger than what I am used to.

Both these phones are so large... will I get used to that??? (compared to my Pre, which slides into my pocket SO well....)

Thanks all,

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
The Evo 4G is older and is near end of life, great phone though.

Iphone is well.....to each his own.

And yes, you will adjust to the size in a short time. No big deal

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i went from Pre to Evo4G last year (july) and after 2 days I didn't even miss my Pre! I loved webos and there are things now I liked better about it, but nothing I truly miss anymore

Chris_B

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Pre- on Sprint and it is on its last legs. I've done quite a bit of research and have settled on the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch! Before I pull the trigger I'd like some advice/hints/tips on what I can do to enhance the experience on my new phone.

- one of the things I like about my pre is the ability to patch the heck out of it... what are my options on Android devices? Where do I go for help (this forum I assume?)
- I need a free tether type solution... is that possible? (I plan on using my webos touchpad for a LONG time...)
- what apps do I need to help me manage my device better? One thing I don't like about Android is the way apps are always running, and having a better launcher... how can I solve for?
- should I strip off the Samsung UI and go native Android? If so - what should I do to enhance that experience?

I went online at Sprint today - and is the cost to upgrade REALLY over $400.00 ??? REALLY??
(if so - goodbye Sprint!)
Yesterday, I just received my new E4GT from Wirefly.com at $149. I paid the extra $8 for 2-day shipping because I'm on the west coast and didn't want to wait a week. Making the switch now, but want to be sure my data actually makes the transition (unlike my wife's results going from her Pre to the Epic) before I fire it completely up. So my aging, dilapidated Pre minus is about to be put out to pasture -- finally! I will miss some features, but not nearly enough to want to stay. WebOS could have been the shizzle, but was abandoned at sea. Sorta like Sony Beta back in the day.

One trick with Wirefly: Fill your shopping cart with what you want and start the checkout process -- but DON'T finish. Check your email the next morning and you will probably find they sweetened the deal with a freebie. I took their offer for a free Bluetooth earpiece thing when I check out the next day. Not the best one out there, but I at least have one while I take more time to find one I want to live with.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I am in day 3 of my transition from the Pre- to the Epic 4G Touch, and I can give you a few of my thoughts:
  • My hands are big (Shaq's is the only one that I have met that are bigger) and the size is an interesting mixed bag for me. Its not too big to fit in my pockets, but its too thin (IMO) to be held comfortably. But the beauty of the screen paralyzes me whenever I look at it.
  • Finding a unified mail client has been my latest quest, as webOS' ability to display 2 Gmail accts, a Yahoo acct, a comcast acct, and an exchange acct in the same window spoiled me. Also, the notifications are horribly bad, but they dont have that "interaction" that webOS has.
  • The capabilities of this phone and Android has almost outweighed the drawbacks of missing webOS...and one point I like in particular is the voice command/speech-to-text, which almost negates the need for a physical keyboard.
  • While there arent that many accessories yet for this device, I know none can compare to the wireless charging of the Touchstone. I am looking for the Samsung-branded car dock and desktop dock to replace my touchstone in the car and at my office, but it wont be the same and I will miss that.

Overall, I am pleased with the device and the transition. I am still researching to make the experience better.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
- one of the things I like about my pre is the ability to patch the heck out of it...
- I need a free tether type solution...
- what apps do I need to help me manage my device better?
- should I strip off the Samsung UI and go native Android?
I went online at Sprint today - and is the cost to upgrade REALLY over $400.00 ???
I am Milominderbinder from PreCentral who wrote the Getting Started Guides for the Palm Pre and webOS. I wrote similar guides here.

1. 25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch for 25 reasons why the Epic 4g Touch is the phone I just bought. See the Getting Started for how to use 500 great Android features.

2. Things are just laid out differently. Here is how to find everything: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

3. Of the 500 webOS patches, Palm used 5. Android included almost all. You can add almost any feature by adding apps in Android.

4. You need Easy Tether or an app like it or to root.

5. For apps ee the section on Favorite Apps, Email, Keyboards, etc.

6. Samsung TouchWiz 4.0 is so good that I see no need to root this time. Native Android is missing 17 Basic Features. The Epic 4G Touch has all of these plus 100 other features missing in pure Android.

7. Call sprint retention and get your one-year update.

Also, the Pre is short but it is so fat and heavy that the by total size in your pocket, the Epic 4g Touch is smaller and lighter. As you prepare for the transition, see the Backup Everything.

Yes, if you wait there will be a better phone and old phone prices will drop and if you wait longer there will be even newer phones. Life is short. Get the phone you want today.

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Milo,

This is excellent stuff - THANK YOU.

I am finally getting excited about the switch!

I'll take a look at Wirefly - wasn't aware you could get a phone that way... any disadvantages over going to a Sprint store?

What is the 1 year update - (sprint retention?)

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I am able to upgrade for that $199 figure... Wirefly can do it for $149.

Where can I find instructions for Easy Tether?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol