What items are you not fond of on your Galaxy S II?

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm about 9 days away from my upgrade being available and I'm pretty set on getting the Epic Touch 4G. I've been an Evo user for just over a year now and at first was convinced I'd just be upgrading to the Evo 3D. However, with the release of the Galaxy S II, I kind of feel like the Evo 3D is a full generation behind.

I know the Evo 3D is a solid phone and I know it will meet my needs, but right now I'm more interested in the Epic Touch.

So anyone that has switched from an Evo, Epic, or even Photon, what are the things you dislike about your Epic Touch and miss about your old phones?

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the Evo 4g, Evo 3d and epic touch all at launch. Honestly at almost a week I don't miss anything really. Bit of a learning curve at first, getting used to the way Samsung functions.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
When I had it for some reason I was so used to iOS and being able to see missed and new text messages before I unlocked my phone. Maybe I was missing something? But after digging through settings I couldn't find anything.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Silly little things really sum up what I miss about my old phones. I wanted to start a similar thread about how to change the Epic Touch but this is certainly the right forum.
1) Notification light - Love how bright and vibrant it is (I can see it much easier than my Photon or even Evo) however I would like it to blink more than once every 5 seconds (or however long it does, it is not often enough)
2) Recent apps - The Evo had 8 (if I remember correctly, it seems like ages ago), the Photon had like 16, while the Epic Touch has 6. Not a dealbreaker by any sense of the imagination.
3) Small bugs - My auto brightness seems to be all over the place. It isnt impacted battery life (full day with plenty to spare) so it isnt a problem, but it would be nice if they address in the first update
4) Sprint speed - Plenty of people will have an issue with Sprint 3G speeds. I find the overall time it takes to load a page on this to actually be better than my Photon. That being said, who wouldnt want more speed :)

It is clear this phone is the king of the mountain right now as far as Android Superphones. Surely in another month there will be something a tad fast but right now this is a good as I've seen, felt, used and held.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Slow blinking LED notification is about it for me, Love the Battery Life. Co workers envious of my battery life. They have HTC thunderbolt.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish the whites were more brilliant like other phones with new tech. I wouldn't mind at least qHD ppi. It is an awesome phone though! Love the blacks! I like how sammy kept the OS dark to save battery.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
SLOW data speeds. I had the EVO 3D and while both phones have their pluses and minuses, by far, I prefer the ET4G. That being said, the data speeds on my ET4G are much lower than my 3D. I was not worried about it at first thinking that the rev B EVO update for newer Sprint phones would help my phone but there are many reports now that the ET4G won't get the EVO rev B update.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I do not get as good of a signal as on my HTC Hero. I was in a building (lower level) in downtown Chicago the other day and I used to get a signal there on my old phone, but not on my ET4G.

I have only been using it 5 days, but I think I am experiencing more dropped calls than on my Hero. The data speeds seem to be all over the place. I can get 7Mbps sometimes, other times 3 or 1.5 on 4G.

On 3G data, it seems to have a much weaker signal then my Hero.

I am concerned about the radios in this phone. I don't know if it is hardware or software. I am slightly considering returning it, but my old phone was so old and there are no other Sprint Android phones I want now.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I miss from the Evo 4G was that you could set the timeout for the security screen based on minutes inactive. So if you manually shut off the screen, the security screen wouldn't pop up until after, say, 10 minutes (you would only need to deal with the lockscreen). On the ET, it will only count the timeout period if you let the screen auto shutoff. If you manually shut off the screen, it will come back to the security screen when you turn it back on.

Otherwise... yeah, the ET is sooooo much better.

Oh yeah, I the unlock screen mechanism on the ET was simply awful. I use Widgetlocker so it doesn' t matter anymore.

Reactions: suprajjang

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't cook ham with it.

In all seriousness I came from the OG Epic 4G, and have no major complaints. The only minor annoyances I have are that when I hold down the power button the option to restart is gone, and that I have to dig into the settings to turn off 3G. Both can probably be alleviated with widgets, I just haven't checked yet. I don't miss having a physical keyboard one bit.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
When I had it for some reason I was so used to iOS and being able to see missed and new text messages before I unlocked my phone. Maybe I was missing something? But after digging through settings I couldn't find anything.

You should be able to add a "pop-up" message style if you use Handcent messaging.

mastrcruse

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The key board gets in the way sometimes and in some things its a pita to see what I'm typing. Also the accuweather widget never updates...even after changing the settings.

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I used an OG EVO since launch date (June 4th 2010) until I picked up an ET4G on Friday. Obviously this phone is a tremendous upgrade in so many ways. If I had to nickpick though about what I miss from my old phone..........I suppose it's getting used to the different locations for the home and menu soft keys. (HTC and Samsung phones switch these around). Also, and I'm sure this will be addressed with future ROMS and such, but I miss being able to do multi-message deletes from the stock email app. Other than that it's all peaches and cream.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The only complaints I have are with 2 minor software glitches that should be fixed by an update soon.

1. After listening and then deleting a voicemail, the screen brightness will change on its own to the lowest setting. Just have to go back into settings to adjust again.

2. The stock email app does not wrap text for some reason. Please fix this Samsung!

Other than that this phone is a beast!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

Last edited:

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My main beef is also that you can't delete multiple emails. As an early adopter I am used to minor issues that get corrected after new devices are introduced. The E4GT is no different than any other device when first launched. Hell, the first iPhone didn't even do apps!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Here is what I don't like:

1. The tone after you end every call.
2. Screen auto shuts of while on a call even if it is mounted in car mount and using through bluetooth. Really annoying. I even have the screen set to never turn off. Photon and EVO 3D work correctly.
3. Can't use car kit bluetooth while 3.5 mm cable is plugged into the car stereo AUX jack to play music while driving. Once the cable is unplugged calls can be sent and received with bluetooth. Don't manufacturers or carriers test these basic features before releasing devices?
4. No way to select all emails for deletion when using POP3 accounts. Gmail doesn't do it yet either, but that is not the fault of the ET. Photon and EVO 3D both have select all feature for email.
5. Sloooowwww to recharge.
6. Fuzzy text based on larger screen and less resolution.
7. No car dock or home dock software when docked like the Photon or EVO 3D.
8. Screen doesn't seem as responsive as many times I have to tap twice to initiate an action, both with the capacitive function buttons and on screen.
9. Lack of Touch Wiz widgets
10. About 1GB less storage for apps than the Photon, even though they both come with 16GB preloaded.
11. Average signal strength. Better than the Nexus, but worse than the Photon.
12. Hard to use one handed, but the screen and size are nice.
13. No visual voicemail through bluetooth. The Photon doesn't work either. Sprint needs to fix or allow us to delete the VV app from our phones.
14. Gets pretty hot when surfing the web or streaming music or videos.
15. Pretty bad music player. Not as many options as the EVO 3D or Photon.

Even though I have listed a bunch of niggles, this is still a great phone. The call quality is pretty close to the Photon with Bluetooth and manually. The speaker is much louder than the Nexus and the speakerphone is better than the EVO 3D. Hopefully Samsung will get these things fixed soon, so that we can all really start enjoying this phone.

longbow

May 31, 2010
Visit site
two things

1. the slow startup between the time you hit the power button and when the screen lights up

2. the proximity sensor - slow to display the screen after removing from next to my ear

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
super smooth glossy plastic and the battery cover, makes the phone really slippery when trying to hold it. I guess I will be getting a cover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech