browser stays in mobile view

Blkthght06

May 19, 2011
Visit site
No need for that....download Opera browser from the market. It has a user agent option that you can set to desktop. Opera is the best mobile browser I have ever used on any platform.....don't mean to sound hyperbolic....but it is that good.

Reactions: LeeTemplar

GusRandall

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for over 10 years. I have 3 lines of service and spend a lot of money for those services. I upgraded one of those lines to the Epic Touch 4G which I understood to be a flagship device with the biggest and arguably best screen in Sprint's line.

I was therefore furious to discover that Sprint has restricted the device to "mobile" sites in many, many cases and there appears to be NO way to change this. I have installed other browsers and manually set them to display desktop versions of websites but Sprint has done something to restrict even 3rd party software.

Consider that this comes at the same time that Sprint has limited their "unlimited" plans to phones only (As of Oct 2 hotspot and broadband will be limited to 5GB per month 3G or 4G with no grandfathering). What good is an unlimited plan if you can't surf where you want? Other carriers may cap capacity or throttle speeds but that is a known policy and you are still free to go to any site you want on the web. Sprint has not advertised anywhere that they have crippled the ET4G's ability to get to "the real web".

I am considering returning the ET4G and moving all my lines of service to another company. I don't like the direction Sprint is taking right now. If they want to be like Verizon, I might as well get Verizon's coverage.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I just did the user:agent and put it on desktop and I'm getting no mobile view sites. As far as I know Sprints HTC phones are the only phones where the stock browser has a setting to turn off mobile view stock.

GusRandall

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I just did the user:agent and put it on desktop and I'm getting no mobile view sites. As far as I know Sprints HTC phones are the only phones where the stock browser has a setting to turn off mobile view stock.

I've not been able to make that method work but even if I had, I've read that it only the specific browsing session and that when you close the browser (or at least when you reboot the phone), the settings revert and you have to do them again to get non-mobile views.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No need for that....download Opera browser from the market. It has a user agent option that you can set to desktop. Opera is the best mobile browser I have ever used on any platform.....don't mean to sound hyperbolic....but it is that good.

Dolphin Browser HD does the exact same thing... allows you to use an add-on option to toggle between desktop view and mobile view. I've used Dolphin on my Epic (SG1) since WAY early in my usage days... it is an absolutely awesome browser for phones

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I do too, however some sites like gizmodo refuse to show non mobile. Kind of weird, but I honestly think it's trickery on their end...

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I was therefore furious to discover that Sprint has restricted the device to "mobile" sites in many, many cases and there appears to be NO way to change this. I have installed other browsers and manually set them to display desktop versions of websites but Sprint has done something to restrict even 3rd party software.

Well, before you jump to conclusions about Sprint being sneaky, have you considered that this could simply be a bug? Have you contacted Sprint support to find out if this was intentional? Can you view the full version of sites over WiFi? If not, then I'd bet this is simply a bug that can be fixed with an update.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for over 10 years. I have 3 lines of service and spend a lot of money for those services. I upgraded one of those lines to the Epic Touch 4G which I understood to be a flagship device with the biggest and arguably best screen in Sprint's line.

This isn't the fault of Sprint... The Samsung Phone uses the default stock browser that comes with Android. Hell my Motorola Xoom tablet uses the exact same browser and it also has this problem with sites defaulting to mobile. Point the finger at Google for not addressing the issue, it should remember your UA settings after you change them, but doesn't.

It's not that big a deal really.. If you want a browser that supports flash, take a look at Dolphin. It's a damn good substitute IMO.

tom299

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Opera Mobile, which retains the desktop agent setting permanently.

It's actually a better browser, especially if you enable "Full screen mode".

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Consider that this comes at the same time that Sprint has limited their "unlimited" plans to phones only (As of Oct 2 hotspot and broadband will be limited to 5GB per month 3G or 4G with no grandfathering). What good is an unlimited plan if you can't surf where you want? Other carriers may cap capacity or throttle speeds but that is a known policy and you are still free to go to any site you want on the web. Sprint has not advertised anywhere that they have crippled the ET4G's ability to get to "the real web".

I am considering returning the ET4G and moving all my lines of service to another company. I don't like the direction Sprint is taking right now. If they want to be like Verizon, I might as well get Verizon's coverage.

I use dolphin hd and set it for desktop and it stays there.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
type into the address bar "about:useragent" (of course, without the quotations) and then select desktop.[/
What are all the other setting do? there is galaxy s, I phone, lismore and nexus1 mine was set to custom

I don't know what they, haven't tried them but if you're looking for the best desktop browsing experience, then you should stick with desktop.

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So I just tried Gizmodo in the Dolphin Browser on non-mobile settings and it didnt work. It wouldnt switch from mobile. I think this is a Gizmodo thing, not a Samsung/Sprint/Stock Browser/Desktop issue. I think the reason might be because of the way the desktop is laid out specifically because of the side scroll. We all know flash on phones arent perfect and I think with the way you have to select the right side of the screen to scroll through the stories makes it difficult with all the other gestures on a mobile phone such as a hard press to select text and what not. If you have ever tried to use the radar maps on weather.com on desktop mode on your phone you know what i mean. You lose a little functionality.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It's not Sprint. The Samsung default browser has always been this way. Meaning it always identifies itself as being an Android device and there's no option to change it.

Dolphin is exhibiting this behavior as well on some sites regardless of the user agent setting. For example Samsung.com. Opera on the same site, with the UA set to desktop, does not do this. However, I'm finding Opera to be painfully slow. About to try Firefox next.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Personally I don't get it. This is a phone and using a full websight is a pia. No matter how big screen. Mobile sights are designed to use less bandwidth and make the best with the screen real estate. If your on a full websight it slows way down. Not to knock AC but loading there sight is like a old lady walking across the street. And the normal text size is bad and if u move it up to large every thing is squashed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
See I can't stand mobile version's of sites personally. I like the full desktop experience. To each their own I guess.

So I just tried every single browser on the Market. With the exception of Opera Mobile, every one of them exhibited this behavior regardless of the user agent setting. And actually it has to be something other than the UA, because whatismyuseragent.com indicates it's being set to desktop, not mobile. So there's something on the phone that's affecting it. Bummer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey