09-27-2011 07:21 AM
57 123
tools
    Ladies and Gentlemen the issue with your batteries in this phone is due to the horrid radio performance and signal performance. Im at work right now and I am getting poor reception..I have watched my battery drain 10% and have not even touched the phone only to check the battery percentage. This phone has a major issue.
    09-25-2011 06:47 PM
    Ladies and Gentlemen the issue with your batteries in this phone is due to the horrid radio performance and signal performance. Im at work right now and I am getting poor reception..I have watched my battery drain 10% and have not even touched the phone only to check the battery percentage. This phone has a major issue.
    That's what I was thinking all along. So far I've tried every other single suggestion from other threads to preserve battery and nothing seems to have helped the battery life. The only possible issues I can see now is the rogue apps that was mentioned before or simple poor Sprint service, and it's feeling like the poor Sprint service is more likely. I don't think it's the phone. If it were, how do you explain the awesome battery life that everyone else has been getting? They probably live in places where Sprint has been getting good consistent service.
    09-25-2011 08:19 PM
    Then why is cell standby not consuming more battery, because it should. On the evo4g the cell standby was much higher and ina poor service area it really showed. I have been getting pretty good service, even when flying for 2 hours I didn't lose much% due to it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    09-25-2011 08:30 PM
    I don't know... I really wish I did. It's not like I'm having fun asking all these annoying questions. My battery life just simply sucks, it's almost comparable to my old Palm Pre minus, how is that possible?

The Android OS % seems to just go up and down as well and I've been trying everything listed in that thread to get that % down. Nothing I do seems to work. And then sometimes I check and suddenly the OS % is low like in the teens or 20s... and this happens by itself even when I haven't done anything.
    09-25-2011 08:40 PM
    That's what I was thinking all along. So far I've tried every other single suggestion from other threads to preserve battery and nothing seems to have helped the battery life. The only possible issues I can see now is the rogue apps that was mentioned before or simple poor Sprint service, and it's feeling like the poor Sprint service is more likely. I don't think it's the phone. If it were, how do you explain the awesome battery life that everyone else has been getting? They probably live in places where Sprint has been getting good consistent service.
    One thing that I have learned is to simply IGNORE the ubber fabricated details and screen shots you see on here.. The facts are this ..It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a phone to get 14 hours of battery life from what most call "normal" usuage. I even see foolish claims that some people say they get 30 hours of battery life..Its just not scientifically possible when you take in all of the factors that effect battery life. Some people need self phone gratification and I don't know why.. But my friend if you use the phone as I do 1. 1.5 hours using web 2. 100 text message 3. 30 minutes voice calls 4. Push emails set at 15 minutes you will only FACTUALLY get 7 hours of time at the most before you hit 15% battery. And when you hit 15 percent battery then you will FACTUALLY see a drastic decrease in battery performance due to decreased voltage. I challenge you to fully charge the phone and then use it for 15 minutes at one time browsing the web. I guarantee you that you will lose 1% of battery per minute of use..Do it and see for yourself.

Also it IS the phone and not Sprints network.. The phone has multiple reception issues.
    09-25-2011 08:45 PM
    I don't know... I really wish I did. It's not like I'm having fun asking all these annoying questions. My battery life just simply sucks, it's almost comparable to my old Palm Pre minus, how is that possible?

The Android OS % seems to just go up and down as well and I've been trying everything listed in that thread to get that % down. Nothing I do seems to work. And then sometimes I check and suddenly the OS % is low like in the teens or 20s... and this happens by itself even when I haven't done anything.
    Im beginning to think that this phone has a very cheaply made battery.. Something Samsung is known to do.. Give you cheap matterials at a high cost.
    09-25-2011 08:46 PM
    One thing that I have learned is to simply IGNORE the ubber fabricated details and screen shots you see on here.. The facts are this ..It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a phone to get 14 hours of battery life from what most call "normal" usuage. I even see foolish claims that some people say they get 30 hours of battery life..Its just not scientifically possible when you take in all of the factors that effect battery life. Some people need self phone gratification and I don't know why.. But my friend if you use the phone as I do 1. 1.5 hours using web 2. 100 text message 3. 30 minutes voice calls 4. Push emails set at 15 minutes you will only FACTUALLY get 7 hours of time at the most before you hit 15% battery. And when you hit 15 percent battery then you will FACTUALLY see a drastic decrease in battery performance due to decreased voltage. I challenge you to fully charge the phone and then use it for 15 minutes at one time browsing the web. I guarantee you that you will lose 1% of battery per minute of use..Do it and see for yourself.

Also it IS the phone and not Sprints network.. The phone has multiple reception issues.
    I see. Yeah, I'm only getting about 6-7 hours of regular usage of the phone on a full charge. Yeah it was that 30 hour thread that really made me think something was wrong with my phone or I was simply doing something wrong (as this is my first Android device).
    As for the network. I also haven't had very good reception with my old Palm Pre. I just chalked it up to living in the suburbs and not exactly in the downtown of a city.

So what can we do? Should I just buy extra batteries and carry a charger with me and keep it charging every moment I can find?
    09-25-2011 09:07 PM

Do you have this phone? asking because you don't have it listed up by your name. Speaking for myself, I have not seen people claiming to use this phone as you say you do and claim 30 hours. I have posted screen shots of my phone lasting over a day but never claimed to use it as NORMAL use. But on the old epic if i were to use the phone as i do this one 60 text. 15 twitter checks in , 1 hour of web use. 10 Email checks and viewing Pulse and Engadget about 10 times. all in 8 hours while 4G is on depending where im working a particular day. And i am able to leave the house and not worry that i forgot my charger and still be able to come home with 50% or more on my phone i call that good battery for me which i would have needed to charge my Epic to make it home . If your getting 8 hours for with your doing and you use it alot thats great but based on your Epic4G to this or your last phone how does it compare. I think thats what the screen shots are for , more to show that this phone has the power to last alot of people that use there phone normally , what each person considers normal is up to them. As long as they can leave their homes and come back on 1 charge. So screen shots are help full to some people. maybe not to you but some people.
    09-25-2011 09:08 PM
    I see. Yeah, I'm only getting about 6-7 hours of regular usage of the phone on a full charge. Yeah it was that 30 hour thread that really made me think something was wrong with my phone or I was simply doing something wrong (as this is my first Android device).
    As for the network. I also haven't had very good reception with my old Palm Pre. I just chalked it up to living in the suburbs and not exactly in the downtown of a city.

So what can we do? Should I just buy extra batteries and carry a charger with me and keep it charging every moment I can find?
    Depending on what you use your phone for check the settings and see if theirs some things you dont really need to be running or checking. Some people need email checking every 15 mins some don't if you check into your feeds yourself few times a day then do you really need it to notify you every 15 mins. unless your on business with this phone or always just on the phone adjusting the settings should get you better battery life.
    if this is going to be your business phone then get some more batteries and wait for a cool rom that you can install
    09-25-2011 09:15 PM

Im going to wait it out until the get an extended battery. Since the phone is already thin and light an extra capacity battery will not have a major effect.. Pretty much all android phones will only last 6-7 hours with the kind of usage I stated earlier
    09-25-2011 09:21 PM
    These are all from my phone. I can guarantee they are not fabricated. As you can see by the display time and awake time, it's pretty heavy use. Please don't throw around words like "scientifically impossible" when indeed, it is possible.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
    09-25-2011 09:23 PM
    Do you have this phone? asking because you don't have it listed up by your name. Speaking for myself, I have not seen people claiming to use this phone as you say you do and claim 30 hours. I have posted screen shots of my phone lasting over a day but never claimed to use it as NORMAL use. But on the old epic if i were to use the phone as i do this one 60 text. 15 twitter checks in , 1 hour of web use. 10 Email checks and viewing Pulse and Engadget about 10 times. all in 8 hours while 4G is on depending where im working a particular day. And i am able to leave the house and not worry that i forgot my charger and still be able to come home with 50% or more on my phone i call that good battery for me which i would have needed to charge my Epic to make it home . If your getting 8 hours for with your doing and you use it alot thats great but based on your Epic4G to this or your last phone how does it compare. I think thats what the screen shots are for , more to show that this phone has the power to last alot of people that use there phone normally , what each person considers normal is up to them. As long as they can leave their homes and come back on 1 charge. So screen shots are help full to some people. maybe not to you but some people.
    Yes I do have the Epic Touch no need to put names of what I have on here. I don't believe you get a day out of it..Its impossible to say you get 24 hours out of a smart phone..The sheer size of the screen makes your statement false..
    09-25-2011 09:24 PM
    These are all from my phone. I can guarantee they are not fabricated. As you can see by the display time and awake time, it's pretty heavy use. Please don't throw around words like "scientifically impossible" when indeed, it is possible.

It is impossible..I can show you a screen shot RIGHT NOW that says my battery hasn't been connected to a charger for 16 hours.. The FACT of the matter is that this phone's battery usage stats are all screwed up..I tell you what im going to make a video show you the TRUTH.. No self gratification from a phone needed here.. Heck just tell the truth!!!
    09-25-2011 09:27 PM
    Dude focus on the graphic. You can see that the charger was never plugged in

09-25-2011 09:28 PM
    Dude focus on the graphic. You can see that the charger was never plugged in

My point was that its a know FACT that the battery statistics in the phone is not correct. For example, the battery can be actually at 80% full but on the juice display in the right upper corner the indicator will give you more close to 95%. Just install a battery widget and you can tell the difference.

Thanks,
    09-25-2011 09:32 PM
    So you're saying because a 3rd party widget is wrong that freaking TIME itself is skewed? Go troll somewhere else. You know damn well that my shots are legit and now you have egg on your face. It's ok to be wrong my friend.

09-25-2011 09:34 PM
    So far I get about 10 to 12 hours. I haven't really complained, I say that if you use the phone it should drain. its when I don't use the phone that it should last. When I sleep, i don't want it dropping 50% maybe only 10% thats the most important to me because what if I'm at someone's house, i crash there, i have 30% battery. I don't want it to drain.

That said, one thing epic 4g touch does well is that it doesn't drain the battery much when the screen is off.

I went on a trip today and the phone last 10 hours. Considering about one hour of GPS, constant checking of website because of football, text messages, an hour or so of calling. I think its fair to say it lasted long enough. But i would like to know how people squeeze out more hours. I have Facebook, twitter, google+, touchdown exchange, gmail and trillion running in the background.
    sndplace likes this.
    09-26-2011 01:39 AM
    Please, no need to name call each other! We're just trying to find out why the battery life seems to vary so much between users. Some of you seem to easily get 10-15 (or more) hours of normal/average use of the phone but some of us (at least I can say I am) not using the phone that much and I'm lucky to get HALF of that many hours of battery life. We're trying to figure out why.
    09-26-2011 03:02 AM
    Please, no need to name call each other! We're just trying to find out why the battery life seems to vary so much between users. Some of you seem to easily get 10-15 (or more) hours of normal/average use of the phone but some of us (at least I can say I am) not using the phone that much and I'm lucky to get HALF of that many hours of battery life. We're trying to figure out why.
    All you guys have to do is got to the forums on Sprint and you will see the main issue with this phone is the POOR signal strength that has HUGE drain factors on the battery.. But guys do yourselves a favor and try my little test. browse for 15 minutes and you will lose 1% per minute on battery.. And with a poor receptive device that makes battery drain worse and processors work harder.

They have 3 more days to fix or im getting my photon back.
    09-26-2011 03:33 AM
    Yes I do have the Epic Touch no need to put names of what I have on here. I don't believe you get a day out of it..Its impossible to say you get 24 hours out of a smart phone..The sheer size of the screen makes your statement false..
    Not all people use the phone like others do. THATS what you have to understand and i don't think you do. You don't have to believe anyone nor anyone has to prove to you anything. It is possible to have your phone unplugged and depending on your use last for 24+ hours till you have to plug it in again.

It is impossible..I can show you a screen shot RIGHT NOW that says my battery hasn't been connected to a charger for 16 hours.. The FACT of the matter is that this phone's battery usage stats are all screwed up..I tell you what im going to make a video show you the TRUTH.. No self gratification from a phone needed here.. Heck just tell the truth!!!
    The truth is it is possible for some people based on how we use our phones.

My point was that its a know FACT that the battery statistics in the phone is not correct. For example, the battery can be actually at 80% full but on the juice display in the right upper corner the indicator will give you more close to 95%. Just install a battery widget and you can tell the difference. Thanks,
    Yes i have a battery widget and it shows different from the stock one but when your widget hits 15% the stock battery is not at half full is it? The way the stock battery shows how much battery power is left is off abit from full till about 30% left but the end result is if it shows battery power left on the stock symbol your phone is usable and to the average user that is what matters not if it 100% accurate or not.

All you guys have to do is got to the forums on Sprint and you will see the main issue with this phone is the POOR signal strength that has HUGE drain factors on the battery.. But guys do yourselves a favor and try my little test. browse for 15 minutes and you will lose 1% per minute on battery.. And with a poor receptive device that makes battery drain worse and processors work harder. They have 3 more days to fix or im getting my photon back.
    SO to those who don't this signal problem is it possible to get better battery life then to those who don't ?
    If you are willing to believe a person who post that the radio in this phone socks and there battery drains so fast so to signal strength so easily , why is it impossible to believe that we can get 24 hours of battery life ? Some one posted that they put a different zip code because where they live Sprint wouldn't give them a phone due to poor service in that area. something is up with either the radios or the way TW 4.0 is acting. But i have and others here also are getting better battery life out of this phone . way more then my old Epic4G. How ever it is being achieved it is happening.
    09-26-2011 05:48 AM

I rarely use my phone as a web browser. I have other apps that for me in a more efficient manor. My average browse time in a day is like maybe 30 minutes total. I spend about a hour or so on the phone and maybe 30 or 40 text a day. I also play a few games. I avoid the battery hungry games when I'm not connect to a charger. However, this phone closes games... I don't know why but it is annoying.

Normally around bed time my battery is around that 16 hour time my battery is around between 50% and 10% depending on my signal. I highly believe that someone could get 30 hours of battery of normal usage if they live in a well covered signal area. But we all call normal usage different things. Again, I haven't gotten 30 hours but I have had 16 hours at 50% battery. Not plugging up my phone while sleeping and getting ready for work would probably give me another 8+ hours with maybe 10% or less battery use. I doubt that would be fair to post because I'm not using my phone while I'm sleeping.

To manage my phone even longer I recently brought a car charger and I carry a usb with me at work since I work with pcs I can charge my phone while working. I haven't even had to use my spare battery yet.

On another note: Some people don't seem to understand the point of turning everything off when we are facing battery problems. The purpose of doing this isn't so we can make it through a day of use without having the phone die on us or at least that shouldn't be the purpose. My purpose of doing these things is to find out what is causing the battery to drain so fast. So I'll go one day without anything and see what is happening and then slowly start to add everything back overtime till I determined what the problem is.

So you're saying because a 3rd party widget is wrong that freaking TIME itself
    is skewed? Go troll somewhere else. You know damn well that my shots are legit and now you have egg on your face. It's ok to be wrong my friend.

My battery widget and phone has been wrong before. When I first got it was really off. Went down to 0% and I used it for another before it actually died. A widget can only read what a phone is telling it and at times that can be off. Reminds me a lot of a laptop battery.

I think the above user is correct. What really makes the difference is time itself.

Edit: I haven't used my device much today. Two phone calls a few e-mails and text and a little browsing of the internet and market. Going to use my gps soon so I'm going to plug it in later.
    09-26-2011 11:32 AM
    Update! Got 29 hours today (ignore the charging sign, I only plugged it in for 1% and took a screenshot) The drops were from listening to music as well as uploading a video to Facebook.
    09-26-2011 04:47 PM
    Update! Got 29 hours today (ignore the charging sign, I only plugged it in for 1% and took a screenshot) The drops were from listening to music as well as uploading a video to Facebook. Click to view quoted image
    HOW in the world are you getting that kind of battery life? I see your phone signal is as yellow as mine so it can't a weak signal to blame. And you're mentioning listening to music and uploading video so you're actually using your phone and not just using it as a shiny paperweight. So HOW are you doing? Do you have some special battery saving app or something?
    09-26-2011 05:07 PM
    HOW in the world are you getting that kind of battery life? I see your phone signal is as yellow as mine so it can't a weak signal to blame. And you're mentioning listening to music and uploading video so you're actually using your phone and not just using it as a shiny paperweight. So HOW are you doing? Do you have some special battery saving app or something?
    Wifi on whenever it's available so 3G data doesn't drain the battery, background data/sync off at all times/manual only, brightness low at all times, display on for 15 seconds, no vibration whatsoever including haptic feedback, didn't browse the web but would text, tweet and check notifications from time to time, animations off, going into applications settings and turning off running apps that i dont need from time to time that may have spontaneously restarted i.e. dictionary.com, fb, google+, skype. Oh and I made sure to charge it to 100% beforehand (when it said 100 I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it was really at 90) also set powersave to come on at 70%.
    09-26-2011 05:30 PM
    Wifi on whenever it's available so 3G data doesn't drain the battery, background data/sync off at all times/manual only, brightness low at all times, display on for 15 seconds, no vibration whatsoever including haptic feedback, didn't browse the web but would text, tweet and check notifications from time to time, animations off, going into applications settings and turning off running apps that i dont need from time to time that may have spontaneously restarted i.e. dictionary.com, fb, google+, skype. Oh and I made sure to charge it to 100% beforehand (when it said 100 I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it was really at 90) also set powersave to come on at 70%.
    I've never thought about turning off the animations and haptic feedback even... but I think I will try that tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere near your battery life.

Are you using any task managers or monitors to keep apps from spontaneously starting?

I just did a factory reset on my phone so it should be clean of any rogue apps and I want to see if I can emulate this kind of battery life. If you can do it and you also have "yellow" phone signal then I should be able to also.
    09-26-2011 05:37 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD