03-03-2012 04:53 PM
85 1234
tools
    I dont believe this thing about bad signal quality. I live in low service area the phone gets the same signal strength that the photon did, which I traded in for sgs2. I dont know whats wrong with your phones, but this phone gets stronger signal in the same spot as my dads evo 3d.
    I'm having same great results as well.
    Owned a couple EVOs for over a year would get signal flux 0 - 5 bars quite frequently at home.
    That isn't the case with Epic touch , It stays strong 5 bar no issues.
    Data is also faster then EVO & 3D.

Im getting feeling these complaints are due to some towers software not being updated....there's defiantly clash of some sort Sprint needs to figure out.
    If new radio update was pushed I would decline why fix it if it isn't broke.
    09-24-2011 12:32 AM
    Meanwhile, the EVO gets a signal when my sammy don't.
    I'm going to do another comparison where the evo gets a signal and the sammy don't.
    -bobby
    Could you be more specific, the dBm signal strength you posted for the E4GT should have been 4 or 5 bars. Are you saying you had -74 dBm signal strength on the E4GT and the phone said you didn't have signal? That would be quite odd. Perhaps you are saying that particular test area, the Sammy did better, but in other places the Evo could get signal but the E4GT couldn't.

If the latter, try to isolate what PCS channel the phones are using, they might not be using the same ones. Also one might be using CLR and the other PCS. Sprint doesn't use CLR, but VZ does. There must be some explanation because the E4GT was capable of pretty good signal in some situations based on what you posted.
    09-24-2011 12:40 AM
    A old school fix when towers are trashed
    Disable roaming then reset radio
    09-24-2011 12:49 AM
    As with all phones, its going to depend on what area you're in. Some phones might hold a low signal better than others.

This phone reception wise is nowhere close to the Photon. I have had both. It also isn't as good with regards to the quality of the external speaker.

As far as audio quality through headphones, it's not as good as the last gen Galaxy S phones, but still holds its own with most of the current batch of phones. This is a known side effect of Samsung changing the audio processor from the one they used last time.
    whatsitsname likes this.
    09-24-2011 04:29 AM
    As with all phones, its going to depend on what area you're in. Some phones might hold a low signal better than others.

This phone reception wise is nowhere close to the Photon. I have had both. It also isn't as good with regards to the quality of the external speaker.
    This.
    09-24-2011 04:38 AM
    For those having signal problems with the ET, just be patient. There usually is a software fix for it. Same thing happened with my EVO 4G and Nexus S 4G. After the update, all was good. You just need to wait it out.
    09-24-2011 06:20 AM
    my wifes EPIC Touch is about 1 bar less than my EVO wherever we are at, my big issue right now is at the house we have an Airave, and the EPIC Touch can't send any texts and is touchy on receiving them thru the Airave, while my EVO works perfectly. Called Sprint Tech and they said its a known issue between the Airave and the EPIC Touch, with an unknown time for a resolution.
    09-24-2011 07:10 AM
    You can try re-setting your phone to the network , this may or may not help. You will need you MSL ( pm and I can get it to you Sunday off today) ##72786# it will re activate your phone. and some times helps data or connectivity issues.
    09-24-2011 08:36 AM
    For those having signal problems with the ET, just be patient. There usually is a software fix for it. Same thing happened with my EVO 4G and Nexus S 4G. After the update, all was good. You just need to wait it out.
    Exactly. I don't remember the last time a smartphone was released that didn't require a maintenance patch within the first month of release. The phone is only a week old. The Photon has had three updates already, I think. Patience is a virtue.
    09-24-2011 08:55 AM
    Epic Touch 4G is Epic Fail.
    Just as the title of the thread says this phone royally fails in getting a signal.
    Where the EVO 4G got 5 signal bars this phone refuses to find any mobile network signal, and to get any signal the phone has to be restarted.
    The EVO never went into roaming this happily goes into roaming at every opportunity.
    Even in an area of full 4G coverage this phone wants 2 find maybe 1 bar or the sweet "zzz"
    The only good thing about this phone is the screen.
    I think its about time to return the phone.
    This is in the Bay Area in Nor Cal.
    09-25-2011 08:44 PM
    Just as the title of the thread says this phone royally fails in getting a signal.
    Where the EVO 4G got 5 signal bars this phone refuses to find any mobile network signal, and to get any signal the phone has to be restarted.
    The EVO never went into roaming this happily goes into roaming at every opportunity.
    Even in an area of full 4G coverage this phone wants 2 find maybe 1 bar or the sweet "zzz"
    The only good thing about this phone is the screen.
    About time to return the phone.
    I must totally agree with you on this one..But im going to go out and state the camera is great and the speed of the APPS only...I capped APPS because the browser sucks due to the reception issues. It fails in all other categories!!
    09-25-2011 08:49 PM
    I must totally agree with you on this one..But im going to go out and state the camera is great and the speed of the APPS only...I capped APPS because the browser sucks due to the reception issues. It fails in all other categories!!
    I can tell you its 10x better than the EVO3D and just as good if not better than OG EVO. But
    09-25-2011 09:13 PM
    I've experienced the same thing many times. It has always perplexed me.
    I've seen this before, too. 1.3Mbps down and 0.48 up showing only one bar signal strength. This was after I applied Milos 3g data speed fix. Before that the best I could get anywhere around Seattle was about 0.5 down and 0.35 up.
    09-26-2011 12:39 AM
    the signal on this thing sucks
    09-28-2011 01:21 AM
    I plan on returning mine today, signal is THAT bad.
    -bobby
    09-28-2011 12:48 PM
    My signal has been better than any other Sprint smartphone I've ever had. Check out the attached picture as proof. The Palm Pre shows 0/5 bars, the HTC Touch Diamond shows 1/6 bars, the Samsung Epic 4G Touch shows 3/6 bars and the Samsung M610 shows 3/5 bars. When taking the pictures each phone fluctuated +/- 1 bar.
    09-28-2011 06:04 PM
    the signal on this thing sucks
    -bobby
    Where do you guys live? Did you guys have Sprint b4? If you guys are new to Sprint , did you check in your area to make sure that they covered where you live/work/where ever you mostly use your phone? Lots of people are not having this problem I am 1 of them.

If you were Sprint customers b4 and upgraded i would call CS and talk to them and have them send a upgrade over the air to see if it helps with your signal. I did this for my 3G and after i turned off the phone as directed by CS there was a update and it worked.. Went from .250 kbs to about .600+ kbs. I know you mean your phone signal but it might help...
    09-28-2011 06:12 PM
    -bobby
    Which signal are you talking about? Voice? Data?

I haven't had a single call dropped and never had 3G data drop while streaming Pandora via Bluetooth on my drive to work since I got the phone last Friday.

I will say that the 4G radio does seem a bit weak for this phone or it definitely needs a patch. I have Clear internet at home and our home modem works perfectly fine while the phone has trouble maintaining a signal.
    09-28-2011 06:48 PM
    Which signal are you talking about? Voice? Data?

I haven't had a single call dropped and never had 3G data drop while streaming Pandora via Bluetooth on my drive to work since I got the phone last Friday.

I will say that the 4G radio does seem a bit weak for this phone or it definitely needs a patch. I have Clear internet at home and our home modem works perfectly fine while the phone has trouble maintaining a signal.
    The 3g signal is weak and is the voice signal.. The problem here is that since the voice signal is so weak it drains the battery even when not using it.. Check the many forums the word is out.
    09-28-2011 06:55 PM
    The 3g signal is weak and is the voice signal.. The problem here is that since the voice signal is so weak it drains the battery even when not using it.. Check the many forums the word is out.
    Dude, just stop. I thought you were initially giving out fair critiques... until I actually used this phone. Yes, the Photon's radios are top notch (probably the best hardware out there) but Epic's radios outside of the WiMax radio are more than adequate for me.

I think you just need to move out of the boonies where you have no service in your area or for the love of God just get a different phone or move to a different carrier
    09-28-2011 07:06 PM
    He claims he's from Houston, the city just signed a contract with sprint worth $15 million (sprint beat out att on the bid which had serviced the city since the 80's). I'm guessing the city wouldn't spend that kind of coin if the coverage was crap.

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls
    09-28-2011 07:27 PM
    good to see I'm not the only one. 3g drops out of the blue. TOday I got a notice about roaming. I still don't know what that was about
    09-28-2011 09:21 PM
    If your really not that happy, you can always switch to an Optimus S! Since your so good at pointing out how many things are wrong with phones, im sure you'll fit right in!

You might even realize how good this phone really is!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    09-28-2011 09:54 PM
    I wish I had a button that could delete all the trolling and leave the rest.
    Johnly and HollyDolly like this.
    09-28-2011 10:26 PM
    I wish I had a button that could delete all the trolling and leave the rest.
    Lol

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls
    09-29-2011 06:16 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD