Sound output?

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Some have reported that sound output to the headphones is lousy on this phone? I listen to lots of music, and that would kill the deal for me. How's the sound for you?

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not an audiophile so it sounds the same as any other phone to me. Could use a little more bass but no issues with background noises or feedback. Take some headphones in and plug them into the floor model and check for yourself.

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The sound through my headphones is very good for a phone. Granted you have to keep that in mind that music just isn't going to be as good in a phone as a dedicated device for music. I tested the sound with the following, 320 mp3 , a FLAC file, and Pandora. The EQ isn't really and EQ but settings. One of which isf you need more bass is there. Overall it I give it a 6 but for a phone it gets an 8. Not going to replace my Cowon J3 anytime soon. But as far as I know this is the only phone that supports FLAC in their stock music player and to me that kicks much booty.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I guess what I'm asking is does it sound as good as other phones. If it's as good as my Evo 4G, then I'm good with it.

Sean-Troy

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
about the same as the Evo better than the 3vo not close to the photon but I'm using the stock music player maybe I will try power amp to verify

xt04

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The Photon really does have incredible sound quality for a mobile device. Its a shame I had to return it because of battery life and issues with the unit not waking up from sleep periodically..

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
The Photon really does have incredible sound quality for a mobile device. Its a shame I had to return it because of battery life and issues with the unit not waking up from sleep periodically..

I returned mine, too, but I thought they fixed all the problems. The car dock was outstanding.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have been one of the complainers about headset quality, but my complaints are not for listening to music. The music app is great and the ear bud volume is great too. My only problem is the sound volume during a phone call, don't quite understand how music can blast, but phone call volume is so low? I am told there may be a quick fix coming in a update from Sprint?

As far as the sound quality, this has always be an issue for me with every phone. I have Shure high-end ear buds and I want a phone with quality music, S2 has it. There are 6 EQ settings and then a custom setting to cook your own. Usually you don't get a standard music program with this much customization of the sound EQ. Volume is loud and you can boost bass when you want. :)

Some have reported that sound output to the headphones is lousy on this phone? I listen to lots of music, and that would kill the deal for me. How's the sound for you?

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I had the Photon for 4 weeks, got the S2 on my last day (30 day review) and took it back to get S2, the Photon was OK for music, but not as good as S2. I was not as impressed with Photon music app as S2. There may be other reasons to get a Photon, which is a great phone (international capabilities), but if you don't need that the S2 is superior in my opinion.

about the same as the Evo better than the 3vo not close to the photon but I'm using the stock music player maybe I will try power amp to verify

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been one of the complainers about headset quality, but my complaints are not for listening to music. The music app is great and the ear bud volume is great too. My only problem is the sound volume during a phone call, don't quite understand how music can blast, but phone call volume is so low? I am told there may be a quick fix coming in a update from Sprint?

As far as the sound quality, this has always be an issue for me with every phone. I have Shure high-end ear buds and I want a phone with quality music, S2 has it. There are 6 EQ settings and then a custom setting to cook your own. Usually you don't get a standard music program with this much customization of the sound EQ. Volume is loud and you can boost bass when you want. :)

Thanks for the response. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Now if the car dock comes out and is decent, I might buy... Unless something better comes first.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ajbrickyard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I had the Photon for 4 weeks, got the S2 on my last day (30 day review) and took it back to get S2, the Photon was OK for music, but not as good as S2. I was not as impressed with Photon music app as S2. There may be other reasons to get a Photon, which is a great phone (international capabilities), but if you don't need that the S2 is superior in my opinion.

You must have had a bad Photon, I had one and returned it at the end of 30 days to get my E4GT and it does not come close to the Photon in the audio dept. sound on video taken with it were loud and crystal clear videos and music played on it(netflix,youtube,pandora) were the same no crackle or distortion at all.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You must have had a bad Photon, I had one and returned it at the end of 30 days to get my E4GT and it does not come close to the Photon in the audio dept. sound on video taken with it were loud and crystal clear videos and music played on it(netflix,youtube,pandora) were the same no crackle or distortion at all.

I agree..it doesn't come close to the Photon at old and couldn't even hold a candle to it. I don't know why people get on these forums just to fabricate details about their product as if they need some type of phone self gratification.. Its shameful!!

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree relative to Photon vs DSII for sound quality BUT...I would think it all depends on what you're using it for.

As a phone, (I have suck hearing so maybe that evens things out), the earpiece speaker is every bit as good and on my particular GSII vs the 3 Photons I went through, the GSII is louder and clearer.

Again...it could just be because my hearing works best at the particular frequencies the GSII puts out.

vintage712

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Audio out is trash. Music app has an equalizer, that does improve it, but Google Music and Pandora are disappointing.

The other factors of awesomeness outweigh the awful audio quality, but I sure do miss the Nexus when I'm listening to music.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree..it doesn't come close to the Photon at old and couldn't even hold a candle to it. I don't know why people get on these forums just to fabricate details about their product as if they need some type of phone self gratification.. Its shameful!!

Would you knock it off with that garbage please? People are expressing their opinions. Nothing more. What one person hears is different from another, and someone having a take on sound quality (or anything else) that's different from yours doesn't make them a "fabricator".

That said, audio has been known to be the weakest link with the SGSII. It's fine for me, but my music needs from the phone is pretty low.