No Rev. B on the Epic4GT according to a Sprint Tech

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, a Sprint tech who seems to know what he's talking about replied to a thread on the subject of the CDMA chip in our phone on the Sprint forums.

Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

It will probably never matter, as after thinking about it all week, I really don't think Sprint will upgrade its network to Rev. B, and I'd take that Gizmofusion article with a big fat grain of salt. I think October 7 is going to be about the iPhone, LTE and "Network Vision". Network Vision has made no mention of Rev. B in any of its marketing materials and videos by the way.

However, if I'm wrong and a Rev. B deployment is announced anytime soon (within the next year), I admit I'll be pretty disappointed. Especially if I don't have 4G in San Diego by that time. I really don't think I'll be wrong though. If Sprint was going to deploy Rev. B, Samsung would have known about it and a CDMA chip capable of fully taking advantage of it would be been in Sprint's Galaxy SII.

Last edited:

dems86

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Rev. B on the Epic4GT - Confirmed

I've heard other Sprint techs and others in general confirm the E4GT will be compliant with Rev B. So I would take everything with a grain of salt until the 7th.

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I thought I read somewhere that every smartphone launched on Sprint since the Evo 4G have been Rev B compliant.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I thought I read somewhere that every smartphone launched on Sprint since the Evo 4G have been Rev B compliant.

Apparently not, according to RC1024 who seems to know his stuff. Last year's Epic 4G has this same chip by the way.

Anyhoo, my point is, it very likely won't matter anyways.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I hope so man, I never thought I'd look back in the rear view and regret giving away the 3d seeing that it was a bit "before it's time" if this is official!

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Just an FYI, a Sprint tech who seems to know what he's talking about replied to a thread on the subject of the CDMA chip in our phone on the Sprint forums.

Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

It will probably never matter, as after thinking about it all week, I really don't think Sprint will upgrade its network to Rev. B, and I'd take that Gizmofusion article with a big fat grain of salt. I think October 7 is going to be about the iPhone, LTE and "Network Vision". Network Vision has made no mention of Rev. B in any of its marketing materials and videos by the way.

However, if I'm wrong and a Rev. B deployment is announced anytime soon (within the next year), I admit I'll be pretty disappointed. Especially if I don't have 4G in San Diego by that time. I really don't think I'll be wrong though. If Sprint was going to deploy Rev. B, Samsung would have known about it and a CDMA chip capable of fully taking advantage of it would be been in Sprint's Galaxy SII.

The only time it's "confirmed" is when Sprint or Samsung say it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Hrmm ... I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the title. RC1024 in the thread I linked is a Sprint Tech. I assumed he's speaking on behalf of Sprint. Am I wrong in the assumption?

Edit - I edited the title of the thread to be on the safe side. Sorry guys. I should know better than to use the word "confirmed".

Last edited:

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I also seriously doubt that Sprint has Rev B plans. The Apple iPhone announcement is planned for Oct 4th, so Sprint announcing an iPhone on Oct 7th seems plausible to me, along with the Network Vision upgrade to help support it.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Hrmm ... I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the title. RC1024 in the thread I linked is a Sprint Tech. I assumed he's speaking on behalf of Sprint. Am I wrong in the assumption?

Edit - I edited the title of the thread to be on the safe side. Sorry guys. I should know better than to use the word "confirmed".

Yes, I believe you are making an incorrect assumption. I'm sure he is Not speaking on behalf of Sprint - just speaking for himself.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Found this article while searching... I still all just rumors but if true we are covered under the Rev B according to this article.... UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? ? GizmoFusion Also found it through a post from this guy... He seems to know/find alot of stuff about Sprint..NMherron he's a member here too ..

Read the comments at the link you posted, and also XDA. A teardown of the phone indicates it has an old radio chip that does not support Rev B.

Hard to imagine, though, that Sprint released a new phone that doesn't support a network upgrade to be announced within a month of the new phone. We'll see ...

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I still don't know where everyone is seeing that Sprint's network upgrade announcement has ANYTHING to do with EVDO Rev B? EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B...Can someone share a link?

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't fathom that Apple would Sprint release one of their products with such weak signal strength on the network in many locations.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I still don't know where everyone is seeing that Sprint's network upgrade announcement has ANYTHING to do with EVDO Rev B? EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B...Can someone share a link?

You're wrong WRT "EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B"

True or not, the following link is being Widely discussed and is being quoted everywhere:

UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? ? GizmoFusion

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking about every bit of information provided by Sprint. The rest is just white noise to me. You did also read that they wrongly state the E4GT can do Rev B? Unless the QSC6085 in our phones is modified, which I doubt.

GusRandall

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Sprint might to to rev B to help address bandwidth needs. Also, rev B allows simultaneous data and voice, right? Seems that like that would make Apple happy.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking about every bit of information provided by Sprint. The rest is just white noise to me. You did also read that they wrongly state the E4GT can do Rev B? Unless the QSC6085 in our phones is modified, which I doubt.

Your right that Sprint has yet to say anything but all rumors out there is information. Just how you believe/take it is the problem. You can take this info and wait till the 7th to see if Sprint announces it.
According to the link i posted before you don't need to change the radio for the first phase of Rev B. From what they are showing you can update with just software. I also saw a post that they can update to LTE with the Wimax radio with just software, so who knows. If the rumors are true and they do upgrade to Rev B and its just a software update for us to use it then all will be well... its specs show about 9 mbs on 3g.
I'm not saying any of this is true or fact , just information out there that we can read to better understand the technology. This is how I take it and hopefully Sprint will deliver some good stuff next month. but if not I'm sticking with them anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance