09-28-2011 08:36 PM
33 12
tools
    Just an FYI, a Sprint tech who seems to know what he's talking about replied to a thread on the subject of the CDMA chip in our phone on the Sprint forums.

Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

It will probably never matter, as after thinking about it all week, I really don't think Sprint will upgrade its network to Rev. B, and I'd take that Gizmofusion article with a big fat grain of salt. I think October 7 is going to be about the iPhone, LTE and "Network Vision". Network Vision has made no mention of Rev. B in any of its marketing materials and videos by the way.

However, if I'm wrong and a Rev. B deployment is announced anytime soon (within the next year), I admit I'll be pretty disappointed. Especially if I don't have 4G in San Diego by that time. I really don't think I'll be wrong though. If Sprint was going to deploy Rev. B, Samsung would have known about it and a CDMA chip capable of fully taking advantage of it would be been in Sprint's Galaxy SII.
    09-24-2011 09:55 PM
    I've heard other Sprint techs and others in general confirm the E4GT will be compliant with Rev B. So I would take everything with a grain of salt until the 7th.
    09-24-2011 10:06 PM
    I thought I read somewhere that every smartphone launched on Sprint since the Evo 4G have been Rev B compliant.
    09-24-2011 10:18 PM
    I thought I read somewhere that every smartphone launched on Sprint since the Evo 4G have been Rev B compliant.
    Apparently not, according to RC1024 who seems to know his stuff. Last year's Epic 4G has this same chip by the way.

Anyhoo, my point is, it very likely won't matter anyways.
    09-24-2011 10:24 PM
    I hope so man, I never thought I'd look back in the rear view and regret giving away the 3d seeing that it was a bit "before it's time" if this is official!
    09-24-2011 10:39 PM
    Just an FYI, a Sprint tech who seems to know what he's talking about replied to a thread on the subject of the CDMA chip in our phone on the Sprint forums.

It will probably never matter, as after thinking about it all week, I really don't think Sprint will upgrade its network to Rev. B, and I'd take that Gizmofusion article with a big fat grain of salt. I think October 7 is going to be about the iPhone, LTE and "Network Vision". Network Vision has made no mention of Rev. B in any of its marketing materials and videos by the way.

However, if I'm wrong and a Rev. B deployment is announced anytime soon (within the next year), I admit I'll be pretty disappointed. Especially if I don't have 4G in San Diego by that time. I really don't think I'll be wrong though. If Sprint was going to deploy Rev. B, Samsung would have known about it and a CDMA chip capable of fully taking advantage of it would be been in Sprint's Galaxy SII.
    The only time it's "confirmed" is when Sprint or Samsung say it.
    spridell likes this.
    09-24-2011 10:59 PM
    The only time it's "confirmed" is when Sprint or Samsung say it.
    Yes exactly. This thread title is really misleading.
    09-24-2011 11:24 PM
    Hrmm ... I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the title. RC1024 in the thread I linked is a Sprint Tech. I assumed he's speaking on behalf of Sprint. Am I wrong in the assumption?

Edit - I edited the title of the thread to be on the safe side. Sorry guys. I should know better than to use the word "confirmed".
    09-24-2011 11:27 PM
    I also seriously doubt that Sprint has Rev B plans. The Apple iPhone announcement is planned for Oct 4th, so Sprint announcing an iPhone on Oct 7th seems plausible to me, along with the Network Vision upgrade to help support it.
    09-25-2011 09:09 AM
    Found this article while searching... I still all just rumors but if true we are covered under the Rev B according to this article.... UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? – GizmoFusion Also found it through a post from this guy... He seems to know/find alot of stuff about Sprint..NMherron he's a member here too ..
    09-25-2011 10:35 AM
    Hrmm ... I didn't mean to mislead anyone with the title. RC1024 in the thread I linked is a Sprint Tech. I assumed he's speaking on behalf of Sprint. Am I wrong in the assumption?

Edit - I edited the title of the thread to be on the safe side. Sorry guys. I should know better than to use the word "confirmed".
    Yes, I believe you are making an incorrect assumption. I'm sure he is Not speaking on behalf of Sprint - just speaking for himself.
    09-25-2011 10:42 AM
    Found this article while searching... I still all just rumors but if true we are covered under the Rev B according to this article.... UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? GizmoFusion Also found it through a post from this guy... He seems to know/find alot of stuff about Sprint..NMherron he's a member here too ..
    Read the comments at the link you posted, and also XDA. A teardown of the phone indicates it has an old radio chip that does not support Rev B.

Hard to imagine, though, that Sprint released a new phone that doesn't support a network upgrade to be announced within a month of the new phone. We'll see ...
    09-25-2011 10:50 AM
    I still don't know where everyone is seeing that Sprint's network upgrade announcement has ANYTHING to do with EVDO Rev B? EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B...Can someone share a link?
    09-25-2011 11:50 AM
    I honestly can't fathom that Apple would Sprint release one of their products with such weak signal strength on the network in many locations.
    09-25-2011 12:40 PM
    The iPhone was infamous for dropped calls on AT&T...didn't stop them.
    09-25-2011 12:41 PM
    reading this that i found on another site talks about phase 1 is just a software update... Not hing for sure till Sprints talks on 10/7 but we ca hope for some kind of speed bump up..http://www.qualcomm.com/documents/fi...-evolution.pdf
    this is the link to the post i was reading from the member here... http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...62#post2600962
    09-25-2011 12:46 PM
    I still don't know where everyone is seeing that Sprint's network upgrade announcement has ANYTHING to do with EVDO Rev B? EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B...Can someone share a link?
    You're wrong WRT "EVERY bit of information available on the internet has NO mention of Sprint going to EVDO Rev B"

True or not, the following link is being Widely discussed and is being quoted everywhere:

UPDATE: Sprint Upgrading Existing 3G Coverage Area To EvDO Rev B October 7th? GizmoFusion
    09-25-2011 03:16 PM
    I'm talking about every bit of information provided by Sprint. The rest is just white noise to me. You did also read that they wrongly state the E4GT can do Rev B? Unless the QSC6085 in our phones is modified, which I doubt.
    09-25-2011 05:57 PM
    I think Sprint might to to rev B to help address bandwidth needs. Also, rev B allows simultaneous data and voice, right? Seems that like that would make Apple happy.
    09-25-2011 10:24 PM
    I'm talking about every bit of information provided by Sprint. The rest is just white noise to me. You did also read that they wrongly state the E4GT can do Rev B? Unless the QSC6085 in our phones is modified, which I doubt.
    Your right that Sprint has yet to say anything but all rumors out there is information. Just how you believe/take it is the problem. You can take this info and wait till the 7th to see if Sprint announces it.
    According to the link i posted before you don't need to change the radio for the first phase of Rev B. From what they are showing you can update with just software. I also saw a post that they can update to LTE with the Wimax radio with just software, so who knows. If the rumors are true and they do upgrade to Rev B and its just a software update for us to use it then all will be well... its specs show about 9 mbs on 3g.
    I'm not saying any of this is true or fact , just information out there that we can read to better understand the technology. This is how I take it and hopefully Sprint will deliver some good stuff next month. but if not I'm sticking with them anyway.
    09-25-2011 10:46 PM
    Your right that Sprint has yet to say anything but all rumors out there is information. Just how you believe/take it is the problem. You can take this info and wait till the 7th to see if Sprint announces it.
    According to the link i posted before you don't need to change the radio for the first phase of Rev B. From what they are showing you can update with just software. I also saw a post that they can update to LTE with the Wimax radio with just software, so who knows. If the rumors are true and they do upgrade to Rev B and its just a software update for us to use it then all will be well... its specs show about 9 mbs on 3g.
    I'm not saying any of this is true or fact , just information out there that we can read to better understand the technology. This is how I take it and hopefully Sprint will deliver some good stuff next month. but if not I'm sticking with them anyway.
    I was under the impression that the software updates to go from rev a to rev b, and wimax to lte were software updates to the network and /or towers not the handsets themselves.
    09-26-2011 12:02 AM
    I was under the impression that the software updates to go from rev a to rev b, and wimax to lte were software updates to the network and /or towers not the handsets themselves.
    Didn't Sprint's CEO say that WiMAX phones were going to receive OTA updates to use LTE?

On a side note, the Qualcomm Chip in the E4GT isn't supposed to support pictures higher than 3MP from the camera, so it has to be some type of modified chip with the same name.
    09-26-2011 02:28 PM
    On a side note, the Qualcomm Chip in the E4GT isn't supposed to support pictures higher than 3MP from the camera, so it has to be some type of modified chip with the same name.
    Or some other chip is being used for the camera? I don't think there is any requirement that you must use every feature of a Qualcomm chip. IMO Samsung is just using it for the radio and they have upgraded the other pieces with solutions from other providers. If Samsung had gone with an all Qualcomm solution they would probably have the same chip as Evo3d and Photon.
    09-26-2011 02:37 PM
    Or some other chip is being used for the camera? I don't think there is any requirement that you must use every feature of a Qualcomm chip. IMO Samsung is just using it for the radio and they have upgraded the other pieces with solutions from other providers. If Samsung had gone with an all Qualcomm solution they would probably have the same chip as Evo3d and Photon.
    Well, if Samsung went with an all Qualcomm solution we probably would have ended up with a Snapdragon SOC in this phone, like the one in the 3D. I'll take the Exynos SOC and the separate CDMA chip myself, Rev. B or not.

But yeah I'm fairly sure the Exynos SOC handles the camera.
    09-26-2011 03:38 PM
    Well I guess this puts this one to rest ...

Official Sprint Answer:

Sprint is committed to delivering the highest quality network experience. Our Network Vision plan will improve your network experience, but it does not include any EVDO Rev B launch. Sprint has evaluated EVDO Rev B and chosen to go directly to 4G connections. Since we are not launching EVDO Rev B, none of our handsets supports EVDO Rev B.

Thank you for your interest in our Network and Chipset Technologies!

So there you have it. I actually feel pretty silly for wringing my hands over this whole subject now. Ah well, I'm only human.
    tkemack likes this.
    09-27-2011 04:07 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD