How to Increase Sprint Epic 4G Touch 3G & 4G Data Speeds

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
attachment.php

10Mbps to 14Mbps on Sprint!

This may increase 3G & 4G data speeds but will not give more signal bars. If you are getting 1 or 2 bars at home, you need an Airave, a 10" tall cell tower connected to your Internet. It's free if you know how: Airave: Get Great Sprint Reception in Your Home. If you have poor signal strength in your car, consider the Wilson Sleek (website.

Look at the Sprint 4G SpeedTest Results above. That's 10Mbps to 14Mbps. On Sprint. Before making the changes shown below, the average in this area was 4.5Mbps. All that was changed were the address and port the phone uses. There seems to be no change in battery life just as when these same changes were made with the EVO 4G , Epic 4G, and Palm Pre. The results in different areas vary. Most report significant improvements, some see no change, and some have seen a decrease. Sprint Radio streaming music will not work with this tweak.

If your Epic 4G Touch data speeds are not what you hoped, this is worth a try. You can always go back to your original port and address. No rooting is requried.

You will need a couple of apps. First download SpeedTest and test your speeds a couple of times to get a baseline for 3G and then 4G. You may need to force Speedtest to use a closer server: Tap Tools > Change Server. You will also need your Master Subsidy Lock (MSL).

Get Your MSL
There are lots of ways to get your MSL but here is one way. Download ConnectBot and open it.

attachment.php
← Tap the SSH drop-down and change it to Local.

In Nickname input box type "getprop ril.MSL" →
Note that the Swype keyboard will not let you capitalize this correctly. Long-press in the typing box, tap Input Method > Samsung keypad. Note the use of the Epic 4G Touch 4 Clipboard.

← On the black screen type "getprop ril.MSL" and tap Enter. The upper and lower case exactly as shown are critical. Your 6 digit MSL will appear.
Write down your MSL and tap Back to close Connectbot.

Change Your Address and Port
Now to enter the Address and Port. Tap on your Phone icon and ##3282#

attachment.php
← Tap Edit

attachment.php
← Enter your MSL slowly and tap OK when you are done.

attachment.php
← Tap Others

attachment.php
← Tap Multimedia

Tap each Address and Port and change as shown below. You can save the original settings in the Epic 4G Touch 4 Clipboard in case you want to go back to the defaults. For each entry tap in the text entry box, Tap the blue arrow > Select all > Cut. Then type the new entries:
RTSP Proxy Address > 0.0.0.0
RTSP Proxy Port > 0
HTTPPD Proxy Address > 0.0.0.0
HTTPPD Proxy Port > 0

When you are done, keep pressing Back until you are at your home screen.

Run SpeedTest again and see if your Download or Upload speeds increased. Tap Results to see your past results. Did your speeds improve?

If you want to return to your default settings, repeat the steps above but use your original Address and Port. If you saved entries to the Clipboard, tap in the text entry box, Tap the blue arrow > Select all > Clipboard and then tap the saved entry to use.
RTSP Proxy Address > rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP Proxy Port > 554
HTTPPD Proxy Address > pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTPPD Proxy Port > 8085

Again this does not increase signal strength bars, just the data speeds. If it doesn't help, just go back to your original settings.

Other Dialer Codes
Be careful. Some of these reset your phone or do a factory reset.
If you can't navigate 800# support menus (your bank, etc.), you may need a Long DTMF. For instance if prompted, "Press 1 for ____", you press 1 but it says that you have not responded.
→ ##33284# Debug Menu > Enter MLS > Scroll down to Others > Long DTMF

##72786# Data reset if you have Loss of Signal (won't ring). Apps & data are lost.

See Also
Epic 4G Touch Getting Started: Tips, Tricks, FAQ's & Tutorials
25 Reasons to Consider the Epic 4G Touch
Connect a Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard
30+ Hours Battery Life
The Expanded Clipboard is Epic!
Customize the Lock Screen
The Magic of App Folders
Increase Your Data Speeds
Change "Pure" Android Without Rooting
Getting Started - Shows 500 other features, tips, and tricks.
Phone Comparison
10 Reasons Why iPhone 5 will be Beaten by Samsung Galaxy S2

Last edited:

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to Increase Sprint 3G Data Speed

Milo..I am not trying to crash you post but none of these things will work with this phone. All you can basically do is call Sprint Tech and have them open a ticket for you for the support team to work on it for you. The initial tech help will be from the reps taking you through various steps. Then they will open up a ticket and have their mobile team make some changes based on the address you give them. This will help a little bit but the overall factor I have found is that the phone itself must have very subpar performing attenas/radios. The signal is weak both from a 3g and regualar network standpoint. Maybe Samsung spent too much time trying to uphold a "thin" trend rather than building a quality device for reception. Even wifi has some serious connectivity issues.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Milo..I am not trying to crash you post but none of these things will work with this phone. All you can basically do is call Sprint Tech and have them open a ticket for you for the support team to work on it for you. The initial tech help will be from the reps taking you through various steps. Then they will open up a ticket and have their mobile team make some changes based on the address you give them. This will help a little bit but the overall factor I have found is that the phone itself must have very subpar performing attenas/radios. The signal is weak both from a 3g and regualar network standpoint. Maybe Samsung spent too much time trying to uphold a "thin" trend rather than building a quality device for reception. Even wifi has some serious connectivity issues.

Wrong. It does work. My 3g speeds tripled. There is another thread in this forum that tells you how to tweak your WiMax settings too. That fix won't increase 4g speed but keeps it from disconnecting constantly. Before I did all these fixes today my phone was almost unusable but now it screams.
Here's my speedtest from just a few minutes ago on 3g.
View attachment 15531

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Wrong. It does work. My 3g speeds tripled. There is another thread in this forum that tells you how to tweak your WiMax settings too. That fix won't increase 4g speed but keeps it from disconnecting constantly. Before I did all these fixes today my phone was almost unusable but now it screams.
Here's my speedtest from just a few minutes ago on 3g.
View attachment 15531

As I stated it works for 3G but it will NOT work with regular network reception. 2-3 bars is the average that you will get with this phone. And its having a major drain on the battery as well

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
As I stated it works for 3G but it will NOT work with regular network reception. 2-3 bars is the average that you will get with this phone. And its having a major drain on the battery as well

Your post says none of these fixes will work and I disagree with you. Milos thread says in the first paragraph the fix isn't for phone reception, but for 3g. I tried it and it works. I really don't care if it drains my battery because if I can't even load a web page the way Sprint had it setup out of the box, then the phone is useless to me.

Reactions: milominderbinde

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I average 4 to 5 bars, and consistently have 6 in many places, including inside my office building. You may have network issues where you live but please don't say it's this phone.

1BadHEMI

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I average 4 to 5 bars, and consistently have 6 in many places, including inside my office building. You may have network issues where you live but please don't say it's this phone.

I agree! This thing smokes my old EVO 3D's signal. Same places the 3D would roam, the EpTouch rips right on through! Same places the 3D would have no bars, the EpTouch has full. Wifi is a little weaker, but I never drop my connection...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Also, since wifi was mentioned as weak, attached is a test I just ran about 150 feet from my router. I'm not insinuating that people aren't having issues. I'm just trying to demonstrate that the radios work very well out of the box in my circumstance.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

The WIFI is so darned weak that outdoor in my backyard, with my router upstairs in my office, that I only pull 13.2 mbps down and 4.2 up.

Upstairs in the bedroom on the other side of the house I get 22 down.

Know how many :"bars" I get in both instances? Fluctuating between one and two.
With my phone at least, the only WIFI issue is the inaccuracy of the bars...the antenna, radio and signal are great.

d33170#AC

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

WOW...! This definitely works!!! I ran a test on me and my girlfriend's E4GT, with mine updated with this tweak. Ran 4 tests via stock browser... Surprisingly, each time my E4GT finishes 50-60 seconds earlier than my gf's E4GT! The only thing im concerned about now is how much will this drain my battery. Does anyone have any idea?

abrcrmdl23

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I work at sprint and they told us that the e4gt had the same radios as the nexus and if any one remembers the nexus and how ****ty the reception was when it first came out the poor reception issues should come as no surprise. I had a nexus my self and before the software updates it sucked always droping calls, and slow data speeds. They should push an update out soon and hopefully it will bee a rev b update and as far as we were told toss phone it's rev b capable with software upgrade just like most phones in our line up.
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I work at sprint and they told us that the e4gt had the same radios as the nexus and if any one remembers the nexus and how ****ty the reception was when it first came out the poor reception issues should come as no surprise. I had a nexus my self and before the software updates it sucked always droping calls, and slow data speeds. They should push an update out soon and hopefully it will bee a rev b update and as far as we were told toss phone it's rev b capable with software upgrade just like most phones in our line up.
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

so what your saying is that Sprint will be going to Rev B ? and we should Speeds upto 9 mbs over 3G?