How to Increase Sprint Epic 4G Touch 3G & 4G Data Speeds

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to Increase Sprint Epic 4G Touch 3G Data Speeds

Quick question, once you adjust the settings, do you have to keep ConnectBot in order to maintain consistent performance?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

How can you guys be sure that this works when Sprint's data is so inconsistent?

For example, I just got these two results in the span of 30 seconds:

6:37PM: 160kbps
6:38PM: 1234kbps

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

*sigghh* Just tried it, averaging about 150 kbps... 7PM Monday night.

Seriously considering the AT&T version. I just hate to downgrade in screen size.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Just tried it and my download speeds increased about 1.5-2.0 times. Thanks.

Question: Does your msl change if you lets say hard reset the phone or if you flash different ROM, or is it hardware dependent only?

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Just tried it and my download speeds increased about 1.5-2.0 times. Thanks.

Question: Does your msl change if you lets say hard reset the phone or if you flash different ROM, or is it hardware dependent only?

Your MSL code is specific to your handset and doesn't change.

Reactions: milominderbinde

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

this didn't help my 3G signal as I was getting 200kbps before and after the change. But I don't recall ever getting 12Mbps for 4G....usually 5 to 8

Reactions: milominderbinde

blakerandy

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

I've tried everything to get connectbot to work and all I get is a small $_and a black screen.

Any suggestions? I know I have typed getprop ril.MSL correctly

Randy

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I will say that during peak periods, sprint 3g is still absolute suck.

Nothing you can do on the phone can change that. Its off peak times that this helped for me.

I've done about 30 speed tests today, starting around 6am till now 6pm. Gradually went from awesome to outright FAIL around 4pm

Right now 5:37pm - 30-100kbps max

Off peak it helped a ton.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Anybody have any idea why my 3G upload speed exceeds my download speed? Happens both before and after this mod.

xtn

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

this didn't help my 3G signal as I was getting 200kbps before and after the change. But I don't recall ever getting 12Mbps for 4G....usually 5 to 8
I never tried this to see if it improved 4G before but OMG did it ever.

On the 4G fringe in my area I went from 3Mbps to nearly 4Mbps on average in one place. In another it went from 4.1Mbps to 4.8Mbps. About a 20% increase.

But at a spot with great 4G, full bars, it went from an average of 4.5Mbps to 10-14Mbps!

The best my EVO 4G could ever get was 4.5Mbps no matter what I did!

This is huge!

Last edited:

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just came back from the Sprint store where I was trying to see if anyone in there could figure out why, living in the middle of a 4-G capable city, the only place I can get any signal is on the roof of a 5-story building. Even their own GS2 display phone had more bars than mine in there! Anyway, they had no ideas (big surprise), except for me to return the phone and get another one. If this how-to doesn't work for me, I'm returning the phone and going back to my Blackberry. :'(

I decided to try the ConnectBot, and the speeds seem to vary. I did notice that Speedtest was pinging from a server in WA (state) before the reset, but now it's pinging from Tijuana! :eek:

I'm attaching my Speedtest results. (see attached)

The first result (at 7:04 pm) is pre-reset. The results from 7:13, 7:19, and 7:21, are post-resetting. As you can see, it goes up and down.

Not sure if I should keep these settings or go back to the original. Thoughts?

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I decided to try the ConnectBot, and the speeds seem to vary. I did notice that Speedtest was pinging from a server in WA (state) before the reset, but now it's pinging from Tijuana! :eek:

Lol,

Every time I goto San Diego my Evo3d would roam off Tiajuana towers. It drove me nuts as my girlfriend's Evo4g would not.

Never got billed for it, just wouldnt have 3g while there till I reset my radios and temporarily latch onto a USA server.

This also happens a fair bit while driving down the I-8 between San Diego and Yuma

Reactions: ralphy151

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay