Move to SD question

satur9ine

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I am kind of confused by how "move to sd" works on the ET. Is it storing it on the 12GB internal sd or to my 32GB external sd? I am coming from EVO, so excuse my ignorance on how it works with devices with internal storage. I was under the impression from what I read that galaxy s 2 moves apps to internal but i'm not sure this is right?

Also, how can you view the .android_secure folder while USB plugged into computer? I know the folder is on my sd card when i look at it in Astro, but the folder is completely missing when trying to view in windows. I tried displaying hidden files in windows but that still won't show it?

Mounting with the ET is different than evo. With evo the sd card would mount as a drive and i could see everything. The ET doesn't mount as a drive, i'm not really sure what the MTP thing is that it does. Sorry if I seem like a noob, i'm really not, just confused about how this all works.

Thanks in advance!

Epsom_D2

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I share the same problem. When I try to move apps to the onboard storage, I believe it is called usbStorage in the file system as shown by ES, it tells me that no SD card is present. I thought that memory could be used like an SD card. If I insert an SD card it will move apps with no issue, just like on my EVO.

Is there a way to make the onboard storage useable for moving applications?

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I share the same problem. When I try to move apps to the onboard storage, I believe it is called usbStorage in the file system as shown by ES, it tells me that no SD card is present. I thought that memory could be used like an SD card. If I insert an SD card it will move apps with no issue, just like on my EVO.

Is there a way to make the onboard storage useable for moving applications?

I don't know of a way. However, App Data and large downloaded App Program files (i.e. games from Gameloft) are stored in the 11.50 GB USB storage area.

I have well over 100 apps and my System Storage with still over 1/2 of the storage available (out of the 1.97 GB)

One thing to note on moving apps to an SD card. One of the reasons that the E4GT is so fast is because everything is stored on internal storage. It is faster than retrieving data from even a class 10 micro SD card.

Unless you are really running out of space I would suggest keeping the apps on your phone's built-in memory. Save the SD card for a whole music library, etc.

willysp

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
E4GT and Photon both have an internal "SD card" (EVO does not), so you can't move apps to a real SD card. One would hope that devs and/or ICS can fix this as it's the new normal.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
E4GT and Photon both have an internal "SD card" (EVO does not), so you can't move apps to a real SD card. One would hope that devs and/or ICS can fix this as it's the new normal.

Hmmm but some apps do install by default on "external storage" i.e. the SD card, the developer specifies this when coding the app. Try installing a game and then remove/reformat your SD card, it won't work.

satur9ine

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm but some apps do install by default on "external storage" i.e. the SD card, the developer specifies this when coding the app. Try installing a game and then remove/reformat your SD card, it won't work.

Yeah the ET installs application to external sd card when you move them to SD. Confirmed by checking the android_secure folder.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk