USB Charging

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone having issues when charging from the USB on a desktop? I came in to work tonight and plugged the phone up for 6 hours straight on a charge and it only picked up 25% battery power.. This phone is getting more suspect by the day.

All advice needed on how to fix.

Thanks,

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yea it takes very long when plugged into computer. I had it in for 7 hours and went from 22% to like 64% but then plugged it into my old wall charger from a Samsung Reclaim and took off. fully charged in about 1 1/2 hours or less from that point on... I can only guess that maybe the amp/volts coming out of the usb from the computer just isn't strong enough to charge it and/or the phone is running off that power coming in and theirs barely and extra power coming in to charge the battery.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Sndplace - I think you hit that spot on. If you are doing something on the phone while leaving it plugged into a USB port, I don't think you will pick up much charge. As an example, I was playing a game for awhile that was doing a good job of eating away at my battery so I decided to throw it on the charger and keep it from going low. While I played I managed to only lose 1% in an hour (as opposed to significantly more than that). Once I stopped playing with the phone I found that it recharged at a rate similar to other phones. If you get to a wall charger there is plenty of power to go around.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Ok..This is what I have found as I am sitting at my desk a browsing using facebook. When connected to a computer to charge and you are using the phone the phone will not have a positive charge and will only slow the amount of battery loss you experience. So basically using the phone strains more on the battery than charging from a USB port meaning that you can still drain the battery to 0%

John P. Smith

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
By specification a powered USB data port can only deliver 500 mA of current. That's not enough to charge many devices while they are in use (using the device draws all or nearly all the power the port delivers), and often results in slow charging even when the device is not in use. This is the case with most current smartphones, with their powerful processors and multiple radios.

USB chargers that are not dataports typically supply much more current, e.g. 1 amp, so they can charge the device while it is being used (although sometimes slowly).

Reactions: tkemack

mfsanso

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've experienced similar issues when using the GPS while driving. I had a 600mA charger and there was virtually no difference in the battery drain between charging and not charging. So I bought a 1A charger and noticed a difference but the battery would still drain while using GPS. Finally, I bought this charger, which offers both a 1A and 2A USB port:

Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

I use the 2A USB port to charge while using the GPS and use the 1A port to charge if I'm not using the phone. I typically go from a 30% battery to a 85% battery while using my GPS on my 45 minute drive home in the 2A port. I assume the same will apply to wall chargers and charging from a computer - try plugging into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? I doubt the USB cable will make a difference but its worth trying a non "$0.01 w/$2.99 shipping" cord.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21