On my old Android phone, when I pressed the volume rocker the volume went from loud to soft to off to vibrate. On this phone it goes from loud to soft to vibrate with no silent.

When I go into settings->sound, Silent Mode says "No sounds except media and alarms". I found that also includes notifications. Silent to me means silent. How do you get this phone to be completely silent? This shouldn't be that hard....

The notification bar toggles between vibrate and sound, no silent mode.
    Daniele Cuomo likes this.
    09-26-2011 10:14 AM
    Download beautiful silent widgets for a silent toggle.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Or else if you go into settings-sound-vibrate and set to never vibrate, the drop down sound icon next to the 4g icon will now become a silent toggle instead of a vibrate toggle.
    09-26-2011 10:56 AM
    My notification bar toglles between sound with vibrate and silent. I believe this is because I have it set to "vibrate except when silent"

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G
    09-26-2011 10:57 AM
    As far as I can tell it's impossible to get all 3 on one setting (sound, vibrate, and silent), but Silent Toggle Widget (https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps) does exactly that with a really easy-to-use one button widget to cycle through the 3 modes. Really useful!
    09-26-2011 10:49 PM
    That widget does what I want. It seems odd that the standard toggle in the notification bar doesn't do this. My last phone cycled on the volume control. No need to touch anything else.
    09-27-2011 10:07 AM
    I personally have no idea why you would want the ringer off yet hear a sound notification when you get a sms or email. This makes no sense.

I see you can manually set them if you go into settings sound->volume. It lets you set the volume for media, ring, notifications, etc. That is a hassle though if you just want everything silenced.
    09-27-2011 06:44 PM
    what about getting the phone to NOT read the name/number from the sender of a text message. ive looked all over the settings and i cant get it to stop reading the name/number of the sender. thanks for the help.

*edit* nm....i think i got it. the driving mode box in the text to speech settings was still checked. i un checked that box and all appears well. hope i didnt waste anyones time.
    10-24-2011 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD