Anyone noticing their Epic 4G Touch overheating?

Does your Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch get really hot?

• Total voters

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I know this may be normal because of the power of this monster, but this past weekend I finally had a chance to use my new Epic 4G touch the way it was meant to be. Games, games and more games for a few hours. I pretty consistently used it without stopping for at least 2 hours and noticed after about an hour to an hour and a half that the phone started getting almost unbearably hot. It was almost too hot to hold normally. I guess this amount of use also managed to kill the battery in that amount of time. Has anyone noticed similar results? With normal every day use this phone has been perfect in every way. Maybe it's just not meant for hours of gaming?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The only time I've noticed overheating is if I make a call while it's plugged into the AC charger. The top of the phone becomes very hot. Otherwise, no heating problems.

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
have any of you actually tried using the phone for 2 hours straight while playing games and other intensive applications?

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I got this bad boy on Friday and played around with it almost continuously the first night and didn't really notice the heat that much. Considering this is basically a netbook, I thought it'd be actually hotter :-\

Psychosaturn

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have used the phone heavily for 14 hours on the internet charging and off charging and it barely get warm for me. Hell, I dont have a PC, so this is my internet acess and it does an amazing job at it too. Oh and have you all hear Minecraft Pocket is finally coming to Android this coming Thursday!!! Yes!!!:D

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately you will get those that fabricate the truth to self gratify their purchase ..but yes the phone gets very warm almost to where you can't hold it.. actually last night when I plugged it up usb the battery almost fried ..a warning light came on and the unit reached 92 degrees

Reactions: linzgeneral

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have used the phone heavily for 14 hours on the internet charging and off charging and it barely get warm for me. Hell, I dont have a PC, so this is my internet acess and it does an amazing job at it too. Oh and have you all hear Minecraft Pocket is finally coming to Android this coming Thursday!!! Yes!!!:D

This ...it will always be someone to fabricate the truth
.I mean who's gonna actually believe this ignorance that the phone "barely" gets "warm"...I wish people would he honest and that way the consumer can demand our products be better

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately you will get those that fabricate the truth to self gratify their purchase ..but yes the phone gets very warm almost to where you can't hold it.. actually last night when I plugged it up usb the battery almost fried ..a warning light came on and the unit reached 92 degrees

So...those of us who have phones that don't heat up fabricate stories to justify our purchase?

I think not.

The only time mine even warms up is if I am using GPS and it's plugged into the car charger...then it simply gets warm.

It doesn't get as warm as either my Photon of EVO 4G did when doing the same thing.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So...those of us who have phones that don't heat up fabricate stories to justify our purchase?

I think not.

The only time mine even warms up is if I am using GPS and it's plugged into the car charger...then it simply gets warm.

It doesn't get as warm as either my Photon of EVO 4G did when doing the same thing.
Ok ..you probably also get 20 hours of battery life as well right

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
.I mean who's gonna actually believe this ignorance that the phone "barely" gets "warm"...I wish people would he honest and that way the consumer can demand our products be better
Dude what are you talking about? You assume that because a couple people get a device with a problem that everyone has it? That is an ignorant statement. I have thrown everything at mine and it "barely gets warm". Doing HDMI out through MHL while charging and streaming Netflix and playing games and it shows no signs of overheating at all. My OG Droid would heat up much hotter just doing navigation.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Hell yeah mine gets hot. On 90+ degree days surfing the web gets my phone into the 110-120 degree range. Video streaming gets it into the 130 degree range. Battery life as you would imagine is abysmal at this heat level.

I return the first one because of overheating and this one does the same thing so I know it is not just my phone. Some people just choose to ignore the problem or they don't use their phone enough for it to be consider a problem.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone has gotten "warm" when playing an extended session of Angry Birds and when browsing the Internet on Dolphin HD for an extended period.

My phone has gotten "hot" one time, when I had the phone plugged into a computer using my Palm Pre's micro USB cable and transferring some large files to the phone.

This is it though so far. Each time the heat came from the top of the handset. The one time it got "hot" might have been an anomaly. I haven't been on any really long phone calls yet, but I'd imagine I'll see some warmth in that circumstance as well.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Keep singing that same sad song. Do me a favor and go back to the photon. Unfortunately your bashing of the phone can actually sway people's decision to try it out. You're a virus, please leave us be

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic longest phone name in the world Touch 4G

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Dguidry, I just read all of the posts you've started. Not one thing positive about the evo, photon or epic touch. My point is you're not a very credible source. I hope no one takes your posts seriously. Perhaps a different carrier or maybe you could design your very own superphone.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine never gets warm at all. I have gotten over 30 hours with it several times now. I am not fabricating that.

Do you own an Epic 4G Touch?

Reactions: tkemack

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes mine gets really hot. But it's not the battery that's getting hot. It seems like its the dual core processor that gets really hot. I've been playing Virtual City a lot and that game gets my E4GT to fry to a point that it crashes the game. :(

I tried using the GPS, Navigation and plugged into my car charger to see what would happen and did not experience this at all.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine has only gotten hot once and I think it was due to the outlet. I have an multi-outlet adapter on that outlet and the phone was scorching hot. A message popped up that said charging had been shut down due to the temp of the phone. I immediately unplugged it from that outlet. I let it cool for maybe 10 min then took it to a different outlet and it charged with no problems. Hopefully that was just a one-time occurrence. I definitely won't plug it into that adapter anymore.

Other than that once instance, mine runs OK. Gets lukewarm occasionally with heavy use, but only that once was it an actual uncomfortable feeling.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Dguidry, I just read all of the posts you've started. Not one thing positive about the evo, photon or epic touch. My point is you're not a very credible source. I hope no one takes your posts seriously. Perhaps a different carrier or maybe you could design your very own superphone.

My friend, I have in fact posted positives on the phones when there are positives to post.. I truly believe that the Photon is probably close to the perfect phone. And the great thing about me is that I will NEVER fabricate the truth to get some type of self satisfaction with a purchase that I have made that will in turn maybe steer someone whos just looking for an honest answer on a product before they purchase it. With that said this current product by Samsung is very very suspect with ALL of the problems that the end user such as myself is having. The screen, speed and camera (still) is great however, this product is a major FAIL with connectivity, internet speed, build quality, audio quality and over heat!!!! Also the inablity for it to charge completely using USB...
Hey you can hang around and like a product that you consciously know is not up to par with the hype if you want to. But just about EVERYONE signed up to this forum has experience with Samsungs lackluster products.. They havn't released a worthy product to DATE and that is FACT!!! And this one is no exception.

Reactions: linzgeneral

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae