View Poll Results: Does your Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch get really hot?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hot enough to fry an egg!

31 26.05%
  • Gets warm but not uncomfortably

39 32.77%
  • Seems ok to me

45 37.82%
  • Never really tested it enough to notice

4 3.36%
10-11-2011 09:30 PM
57 123
tools
    And many of us CONTINUE (see I can use caps to emphasize a point too) to tell you that we're not experiencing the same problems you are. Yet you seem to not be able to accept that, or consider anyone who may be experiencing no problems as lying. Oh sorry ... FABRICATING.

The build quality is excellent, my phone only gets warm when I really push it (as it should) and my signals for both voice and data are excellent. Many others have expressed the same observations. We are not trying to delude ourselves by hyping something that doesn't exist to justify our purchase. We are truly enjoying this device and are not having anything close to the problems you are apparently experiencing.

You're obviously not happy with this phone. Return it and put your effort into your Photon. You've expressed your negative experiences to the point that anyone wary of buying this phone who reads this forum is so warned. Move on already!
    For someone to come to this forum and post that they have used the phone constantly for 30 hours and have not experience the phone get warm is just foolish to state.. I mean really?? obviously you would have to plug the phone up for power while playing as well right? With that said many and almost all phones will get very warm if you do this for "30 hours" .. These type of statements are what drives me to call out the fabricators on issues. People want clear and honest answers on forums as this is why we have them. not fabricated fanboy answers. The reason I know that there is much misleading going on because people used to say that their EVO would go 10 hours long with medium to heavy usage know durn well that was not true. The EVO has factually had one of the worse battery performances of any phone to date.
    09-26-2011 08:45 PM
    Unfortunately you will get those that fabricate the truth to self gratify their purchase ..but yes the phone gets very warm almost to where you can't hold it.. actually last night when I plugged it up usb the battery almost fried ..a warning light came on and the unit reached 92 degrees
    Umm, 92 degrees isn't even hot. My epic can go up to temperatures of 120 degrees!
    crzycrkr likes this.
    09-26-2011 09:05 PM
    The screen, speed and camera (still) is great however, this product is a major FAIL with connectivity, internet speed, build quality, audio quality and over heat!!!! Also the inablity for it to charge completely using USB...
    Hey you can hang around and like a product that you consciously know is not up to par with the hype if you want to. But just about EVERYONE signed up to this forum has experience with Samsungs lackluster products.. They havn't released a worthy product to DATE and that is FACT!!! And this one is no exception.
    Don't blame the speed as carrier speeds differ from location to location so there's not much reason to complain about that. If you're going to complain about the speeds, then by all means, go to a carrier that has good coverage in your area! Build quality is really subjective and I don't remember when and why people cared if their phones were made of metal because last time I checked, it's just a phone. Also, what you may think is 'FACT' that Samsung makes lackluster products, is actually your opinion.
    sndplace and crzycrkr like this.
    09-26-2011 09:09 PM
    Umm, 92 degrees isn't even hot. My epic can go up to temperatures of 120 degrees!
    Well at this point thats what the little warning said..It may have been hotter than that because the phone was seeming like it was going to burn up. It was a red warning that seem like it was critical. it caused some panic.
    09-26-2011 09:14 PM
    Don't blame the speed as carrier speeds differ from location to location so there's not much reason to complain about that. If you're going to complain about the speeds, then by all means, go to a carrier that has good coverage in your area! Build quality is really subjective and I don't remember when and why people cared if their phones were made of metal because last time I checked, it's just a phone. Also, what you may think is 'FACT' that Samsung makes lackluster products, is actually your opinion.
    It is not Sprints issue with this one..Read more forums than this and you will see there is overwhelming concern about this phone and this phone only! Plus a Sprint Tech rep has acknowledged that the phone has a problem. Go over to the Sprint forum for this phone. You would probably see more complaint threads on this forum but comes to find out that the moderators delete "like" topics and combine them into one. So you really can't see all the issues regarding the phone
    09-26-2011 09:17 PM
    OK, we get it, You are unhappy with your phone. Just return it for something else, quit complaining and enjoy your next new phone. Life is just too short to worry to this extent.
    BTW, GS2 is an awesome phone, flawless, no problems here.
    09-26-2011 09:45 PM
    This ...it will always be someone to fabricate the truth
    .I mean who's gonna actually believe this ignorance that the phone "barely" gets "warm"...I wish people would he honest and that way the consumer can demand our products be better
    I have nothing to gain from lying. Quit being a jerk and grow up.
    09-26-2011 10:19 PM
    I think letting dguidry12 taking all the attention in these threads is our fault. It is taking away from the OP's problem and letting people know that its not an issue for all. I too have fallen subject to DG12's post in another thread. Battery life... The concept of people not having a reason to lie for no gain isn't understandable to this member...

I don't play games for hours so i have not experienced heating . i have used my phone while charging but not for a long period...Today what i noticed was 1 for what ever reason while charging the red light wasn't on but was still charging. pulled the battery and light came back on. 2 even on the AC charger the phone wouldn't top off at 100% but again after a battery pull and plugged back in this was corrected. The phone is new and we as early adopters go threw these problems to report back issues . I for 1 am happy with the phone,Sprint and Sammy.
    schnoid likes this.
    09-26-2011 10:53 PM
    They havn't released a worthy product to DATE and that is FACT!!! And this one is no exception.
    I've noticed you keep on throwing the word "fact" into your posts as a be-all end-all statement (in this post and also in others), but you have failed to grasp the meaning of the word.

What you are talking about in your posts is "opinion" or "subjective statements". You personally have had problems with this phone; fine. You have pointed out that others have had issues as well (although no specific references I should add); fine. But to blanket that statement by saying that this phone is unworthy and a bust of a product for *everyone* is wrong and is totally stretching the limits of what you as ONE customer can say about the phone. You are forcing your opinion on everyone and treating it as fact when it just isn't. As previous posters have said, we get it. You don't like the phone. You have explained why an absurd amount of times. Your opinion is one opinion, and is worth no more than mine or anyone else's. No one is lying or even fabricating in this thread because no one has ANY reason to do so.

Back on topic: I haven't done any heavy usage yet and the most I've done is a few minor games, but so far the worst it's gotten is some mild warmth. I haven't pushed the phone by any means but I've used it about what I'd expect an average person would so far and it's been perfectly fine. Guess what: That's the TRUTH. I'm not fabricating, I'm not lying, that's how it is and the fact that it's positive means nothing to the validity of what I'm saying.

I hate to waste so many words on this but from reading this thread all the way through I get the sense that your one opinion is dominating each page even though the actual posts from everyone paint a much more balanced picture with regards to heating. Basically heavy usage seems to indeed cause some potentially severe heat spiking, but anything less and it's nothing to worry about.
    09-26-2011 11:21 PM
    Hey all. Thanks for all the insightful information. Sorry we have to deal with a few people that are specifically trying to troll, but I definitely can point those out right away. I definitely wasn't expecting one person to give me a blanket statement about everyone's GS2 but I think I got a really good grasp of the number of people having issues. I think I may go in and see if I can get an exchange on mine. Compared to a majority of people on here, it seems mine gets significantly hotter. Thanks again!
    09-27-2011 10:02 AM
    I wonder how many people who are having overheating issues have cases on their phones? There may be a certain type of case that holds onto heat more than others. Any insight on this? The first thing I did the one time mine "overheated" was remove the case (the Sprint kickstand one) to allow it to cool down naturally. I'm not sure if silicon cases hold more heat, but I know alot of people purchased those.

To the people having consistent temperature issues, what case are you using? Same question to the OP.
    09-27-2011 11:07 AM
    To the people having consistent temperature issues, what case are you using? Same question to the OP.
    Well on the other side of your question, I have a TPU case on mine and I haven't had any regular unexpected heat issues.

If you google search, heat was sometimes an issue with International Galaxy SII as well, but not for the majority of owners it seemed. In fact there was a post on XDA around June or July where a guy reported that his daughter was slightly burned when she put his phone to her ear, or something along those lines.

Getting hot to the point where it is uncomfortable to hold and operate is definitely not normal, and I would suggest you exchange your device ASAP.
    09-27-2011 11:18 AM
    I wonder how many people who are having overheating issues have cases on their phones? There may be a certain type of case that holds onto heat more than others. Any insight on this? The first thing I did the one time mine "overheated" was remove the case (the Sprint kickstand one) to allow it to cool down naturally. I'm not sure if silicon cases hold more heat, but I know alot of people purchased those.

Thanks, you make a very good point that I didn't think about. I actually don't use a case. I've never used cases on my phones. I feel like phones are too thick as it is which is why I was so excited about the SGS2. I plan on putting on a screen protector, but currently have been leaving the original plastic covering (writing and all) on the screen until my screen protector arrives in the mail. So yea, I definitely can't attribute my issues to a case. I could see that a case could potentially cause issues though.
    09-27-2011 03:17 PM
    I have had a case on and off and it still overheats.
    I think people that use their phone heavily will most likely see their phone overheat. The phone is just too thin to dissipate heat efficiently.
    When I say heavy users I mean people who drains their battery dead in 3 to 6 hours whether through continuous gaming, streaming, torrent, or whatever. Of all the phones I have the Epic touch overheats the most (I can get it to overheat even in 80s degree ambient temp).
    09-27-2011 04:55 PM
    Hey fellas it looks like like some of us are experiencing some hot issues with the sgsii, mine I just got yesterday and this morning when I woke my phone was sorching hot took it off the charge 30 minutes later was good just got home now put it on the charger 20 minutes into the charge hot again but its weird the top of the screen is what gets really hot and the whole back of the phone. will be taking back to store tomorrow to exchange let you know what happens with new one.
    09-27-2011 07:06 PM
    The phone is just too thin to dissipate heat efficiently.
    Can someone explain this statement to me? It makes absolutely no sense.
    09-27-2011 07:15 PM
    Only time I've noticed it heating up is on the car charger while streaming Pandora and Navigation at the same time on a road trip. I'm not much of a mobile gamer so I cant say I've had hours on end marathons on my phone. So far non issue for me.
    09-27-2011 08:27 PM
    Ok so I said I would take the phone back to the store for the overheating issue because it was even happening with my car charger, ok so here is the weird thing. I was a previous EVO owner and the USB cable that came with the EVO is longer that what Samsung supplied so I kept the EVO USB cable but used Samsungs adapter to plug it to the wall. Ok so long story short after I posted my last, I started messing around with the phone I rebooted into recovery and it said it installed some APK's on its own can't remember what the names were I rebooted. Powered off the phone removed the battery and put it back in and decided to use Samsungs USB cable instead of the EVO and now the phone is not overheating. So no my question is could the MHL feature have anything to do with using a different USB cable other than the supplied one by Samsung. How does the HDMI work with the charging. Should that even matter.
    09-27-2011 08:35 PM
    Never had mine heat up yet. Not even while running gps, email, text and car mode! Also tried playing games for a while and want able to make it happen either. This thing is a beast!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    09-27-2011 09:06 PM
    mine gets really hot while charging, and i use original charger that came with the phone
    09-27-2011 09:20 PM
    strange. Mine doesn't seem to get very hot while charging and I'm still using my old Pre and Evo chargers. Still my only experience with it overheating was a 2 hour gaming marathon on it. I guess I'll have to try that again this weekend and pay a little more attention.
    09-27-2011 09:26 PM
    Maybe that is the problem cause I only use my old evo chargers (using one while I type this) and I never have that problem.

Also, mine was plugged in while running ask of the programs listed above with no over heating issues!

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!
    09-27-2011 09:33 PM
    I played Virtual City for about an hour. Was not charging. The phone certainly didn't burn me, but it did get warm enough that I decided to stop insulating it with my palm wrapped around the back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    09-27-2011 10:31 PM
    strange. Mine doesn't seem to get very hot while charging and I'm still using my old Pre and Evo chargers. Still my only experience with it overheating was a 2 hour gaming marathon on it. I guess I'll have to try that again this weekend and pay a little more attention.
    What game did you play... I tried playing third blade but after a minute it closes
    09-27-2011 10:51 PM
    I know this may be normal because of the power of this monster, but this past weekend I finally had a chance to use my new Epic 4G touch the way it was meant to be. Games, games and more games for a few hours. I pretty consistently used it without stopping for at least 2 hours and noticed after about an hour to an hour and a half that the phone started getting almost unbearably hot. It was almost too hot to hold normally. I guess this amount of use also managed to kill the battery in that amount of time. Has anyone noticed similar results? With normal every day use this phone has been perfect in every way. Maybe it's just not meant for hours of gaming?
    Normal use, not charging, mine was too hot to turn the screen up to full bright yesterday while browsing the Web. I had one before and did the same thing, it was warm in the car on all occasions, but the other one didn't have this problem, this one is terrible and the new one has Los too. Gah
    10-08-2011 10:12 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD